Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 10:59 PM
Status: "I have read 27 books this year!!!" (set 15 days ago)

452 posts, read 202,592 times

Advertisements

Famous people, books, and music... I am still obsessed with books and music.

Famous people, I have a healthy perception of them now. They're people with strengths and weaknesses who hopefully have a gift for which they earn acclaim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 12:06 AM

24,763 posts, read 9,555,470 times
Things I couldn't have because my parents never got it. Remote control car, video games, pet dog, Air Jordan sneakers, nice shirts and clothes for school, etc.

Now that I can afford all of it, I don't want it. I would say travel is my obsession now.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:59 AM

28,976 posts, read 30,354,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I had some weird ones. I was precocious, could read at the age of 2, skipped 3rd grade, etc. So, I went through phases where I obsessed over certain aspects of the world that most kids probably ignored or simply didn't notice. One of my first obsessions was house numbers. I'd beg my parents or grandparents to drive me down unfamiliar sidestreets so I could track the house numbers on those streets. I was born in '86, and when a nearby town began building numerous subdivisions in the late '80s and early '90s which featured house number differentials of 2 rather than 4 or 6, I was transfixed. That 'hobby' lasted years, and even once it loosened its hold on my psyche, it was still something I found myself paying attention to throughout the years.

After that, it was makes and models of cars on the road. Plymouth Sundances versus whatever the Dodge equivalent was, Ford Tauruses versus Mercury Sables, Chevy Tahoes versus GMC Jimmies, Chevy Camaros vs Pontiac Firebirds--these things blew my mind. Let's not forget the rather grotesque Ford Aerostar as compared to its much more aesthetically pleasing cousin, the Mercury Villager. Then you had Chrysler dominating the minivan market of the mid-90s with the identical Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager...imagine my excitement on the 1 of 500 occasion when I was attempting to settle the Voyager v Caravan question but instead encountered a Chrysler Town & Country! That was the minivan for rich people! My middle-class family owned an emerald green '94 Voyager...I'd spy the rare Town & Country and marvel at the 'LX' designation, imagining that there may well be power locks and windows contained within. Then the traffic light would change and it'd be back to Grand Am or Grand Prix, Chevy Cavalier or Pontiac Sunbird

Then I moved onto the harder drug of trying to read tire brands off the tires of stopped cars. After that, it was state route numbers, county road numbers (when I could find them), unfamiliar road networks...my paternal grandfather loved to take random drives (he was the quintessential 'Sunday driver', always driving exactly the speed limit and often driving to nowhere in particular), and I loved to be in the car when he took those drives.

My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer within the past week, and it's spread to her liver. My father has suffered from catatonic depression over the past five years, and it's essentially inevitable that he suffers a serious setback in the near future given the circumstances. It's therefore nice to think back to happier times.

ETA Forgot to mention baseball cards and other collectibles (but especially baseball cards). That's material for another post. I'll just say that my obsession in that department caused me to keep every cardboard Sports Illustrated For Kids card that I ever received (9 per monthly issue for several years). All but one of those cards was/is completely worthless. The one that isn't? A Tiger Woods card from 1996 which to this day is considered his rookie card. Versions of those cards that have received a grade of 10 (out of 10, obviously) have sold for six figures on Ebay. I've never gotten mine graded but there are no obvious imperfections. Friend of mine owns a sports card store and I've told him on and off for years that I'll bring it in to get a 'professional opinion', but I've yet to do so

I'm so sorry about your mother and father, it must be increasingly difficult for you as time goes by...

I collected baseball cards for awhile, just because my brother was into it and he taught me about all the players which I now forget, it was short lived though...my interests seemed to be always something physical. Maybe I had way too much pent up energy? Nice read...enjoyed.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:03 AM

28,976 posts, read 30,354,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
Famous people, books, and music... I am still obsessed with books and music.

Famous people, I have a healthy perception of them now. They're people with strengths and weaknesses who hopefully have a gift for which they earn acclaim.
it always bothered me, when famous people would be out in public and people would so rudely walk up to them and ask for an autograph or photo with them...I mean, weren't they taught any manners?

To be so obsessed that they'd go to their homes, or even break in? That's a sickness!

I always feel so bad for them, and you are correct, they are people as well....

Old 05-03-2024, 09:15 AM

20,105 posts, read 13,564,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post
Boys.

And growing up. For some strange reason I thought once I was an adult I would finally be happy.
Yeah my wife played elaborate games in her head around this -- by the time she was four she had her monogrammed linens and home decor picked out, lol.

Ironically while she had a "steady" BF through high school, and was very sought-after socially, she was never really "boy crazy" beyond that early fantasy stage.

Me -- if I obsessed about anything it was probably girls, but I saw them as unattainable for the most part. Too clueless and timid at that stage of my life. Ironically I'm sure my wife would never have given me the time of day at age 16 or even 26. Good thing we met in our 50s! Gave us both a chance to mature and gain a bit of depth.

Old 05-03-2024, 09:20 AM

20,105 posts, read 13,564,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
skipped 3rd grade, etc.
Ah, a fellow traveler. Skipped 2nd grade myself. Wish they hadn't done that. Grade-skipping has fallen out of fashion, fortunately, as they realized it skips over critical aspects of social development.

Third grade was more or less a nightmare for me. The intersection of me not really being ready for it, or to fit into a class full of more advanced / experienced beings, missing a few key things like long division, and the bad luck of getting a really awful teacher that year, took me a couple of years to recover from, ultimately.

How did you feel about it, if I may ask? Then, and in retrospect?

Old 05-03-2024, 02:19 PM
Status: "I have read 27 books this year!!!" (set 15 days ago)

452 posts, read 202,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it always bothered me, when famous people would be out in public and people would so rudely walk up to them and ask for an autograph or photo with them...I mean, weren't they taught any manners?

To be so obsessed that they'd go to their homes, or even break in? That's a sickness!

I always feel so bad for them, and you are correct, they are people as well....
I do empathize with them. I feel particularly bad for those who are famous but not rich. THAT'S THE PITS!!!!

Old 05-03-2024, 06:43 PM

7,041 posts, read 4,927,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Probably the most important lesson I learned from college was never say never.
That's what my dad told me when I said I didn't want kids. Of course, then I had to explain that I'd already had my tubes tied and when he found out he lost that kind of control over me, he went ballistic. He thought he'd own me from cradle to coffin. But sometimes never really is never.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:03 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,078,878 times
I was obsessed with a few elders in my cult religion because I wanted to have a father in my life so desperately. My younger gay self was also attracted to them but I didn't understand why. When I was 18, I told one of them I was gay and he ratted me out to the others and I got the boot. In retrospect I'm glad I did it. However, there is always blowback - my mother, grandmother and aunt never spoke to me again. It's been a slow descent into madness ever since. Thank God for vodka. Sorry to bring the party to a crashing halt. Carry on.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:32 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,567,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I believe all Children at one time in their lives obsess about something....

For instance, for as long as I an remember, since the day I was born, I obsessed about horses, wanted a horse so badly at times I'd cry....

and that desire/obsession followed me most of my life, even after I obtained horses...

There was a time in my life, when horses were my life....

Another one of mine was food....we were poor and sometimes I was hungry...was a very active child, outside playing all the time, which helped to build up an appetite...so food was an obsession...loved food, loved to cook and create new recipes...

what was yours...

Ditto to horses. My dad took my hand and walked me over to a standardbred training track near our house when I was about 2 or 3. I can still remember that day when I fell in love. Every birthday, every Christmas, what do you want? A horse! You are born with it, and you never fall out of love for horses.

I owned one or more riding horses for 30 years, and although I miss it now in some ways, I don't miss the work involved hauling hay and bedding, etc. I'm a grandmother now of two sweet granddaughters. I have written two horse books for them. I hope they will be appreciated and passed on to future generations long after I'm gone.

Thanks to grandma, namely me, the older one has just begun taking riding lessons and the other one will follow when she's old enough. I don't think either of them are in "love" with horses like me, but at least they might pursue it as they grow up since it's a great hobby/sport. Besides, it might help keep them out of trouble when they are teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology