Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 06:30 PM

19 posts, read 9,020 times

Advertisements

I think this belongs to the psychology section and would like to share this. I actually find psychology interesting. It's regarding a regular client that comes to our workplace on Fridays and Saturdays. The lady is probably in her late 20's or early 30's. She has cheated on her bf of 5 years has expressed not feeling actual remorse towards it. She feels little to no guilt. However, she does loves her family and her pets, which are 2 Huskies. She said to love the guy but just doesn't feel bad for cheating.

Would cheating on a partner and experiencing no remorse afterwards be enough to consider someone a real sociopath? Or is the word sociopath overused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2024, 08:13 PM

22,801 posts, read 48,093,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnissaJP View Post
Or is the word sociopath overused.
Overused and misused, along with narcissism

Old 06-08-2024, 07:22 AM

6,336 posts, read 4,257,970 times
Unless she displays that attitude or trait in every relationship and with every aspect of her life then no. Sociopathy can run on a spectrum from mild transgressions to full blown but I don’t believe it can be confined to one thing like cheating.

Old 06-08-2024, 09:16 AM
bu2

24,238 posts, read 15,075,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnissaJP View Post
I think this belongs to the psychology section and would like to share this. I actually find psychology interesting. It's regarding a regular client that comes to our workplace on Fridays and Saturdays. The lady is probably in her late 20's or early 30's. She has cheated on her bf of 5 years has expressed not feeling actual remorse towards it. She feels little to no guilt. However, she does loves her family and her pets, which are 2 Huskies. She said to love the guy but just doesn't feel bad for cheating.

Would cheating on a partner and experiencing no remorse afterwards be enough to consider someone a real sociopath? Or is the word sociopath overused.
Sounds like a sociopath for sharing this type of information with clients, unless you happen to be in a counseling business. In which case, you are the sociopath for sharing confidential information!

Old 06-08-2024, 10:25 AM

23,692 posts, read 70,878,626 times
LOL! There is a book about "Open Marriage," different cultures have different mores that sometimes include seemingly promiscuous behavior. In some, offering the services of the wife to a guest was considered good manners. In others the social relations revolved around the community as a whole and the two sexes had roles and rules that equated to the primary relationships being between same sex members and only very loose and flexible sexual relationships between opposite sexes.

Beyond the vast cultural differences possible, the area of paraphilia makes just about every possible sexual activity a billable diagnosis.

Could the wife be a sociopath? Possibly. Could she also be a Yankees fan? Possibly. So what?

One of the core concepts in psychology is: Is the behavior harming either the individual or others? If the answer is no, or I don't know, then it is usually time to move on. If the mate has no problem with the behavior, no problem. If the mate does, then divorce proceedings may go in his favor. Any problem that exists is within the interrelationship of the couple, and NOYB.

Old 06-08-2024, 04:36 PM

52,495 posts, read 53,041,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Unless she displays that attitude or trait in every relationship and with every aspect of her life then no. Sociopathy can run on a spectrum from mild transgressions to full blown but I don’t believe it can be confined to one thing like cheating.
I was going to say similar. It is a spectrum. I have a SIL that checks many of the boxes but is mild overall. She smiles and acts sweet while spewing negativity. I feel like I need to bathe after spending any time around her.

Some people like in the OP can compartmentalize their lives easier than others. Many rich powerful men have side pieces but claim to love and never leave their wives.

Old 06-08-2024, 04:49 PM

23,679 posts, read 19,497,142 times
Ever consider that your chatty client might be fibbing? She may be spinning yarns hoping for sympathy and attention.

Old 06-08-2024, 04:52 PM

1,018 posts, read 614,031 times
Possibly. I would be more inclined to call them a sh!tty person.

People in relationships cheat because somehow, their needs are not being met. Did she say WHY she did it?

Old 06-08-2024, 06:25 PM

17,702 posts, read 22,478,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Possibly. I would be more inclined to call them a sh!tty person.

People in relationships cheat because somehow, their needs are not being met. Did she say WHY she did it?
Like LT pointed out.........too many variables.

I've got a life long friend that seeks out married women, its like a thrill for him. I have a neighbor that has had a string of relationships with married men, she ignores single guys.

Both are not my thing but the stories are crazy.

Old 06-09-2024, 12:04 PM

12,203 posts, read 8,605,039 times
Don't think in terms of diagnosis unless you are trained. Too many confounding factors.

I like the concept of a "flavor." Certain behaviors have a sociopathic flavor. Then look for repeating trends.

But, good grief, which one of us hasn't fudged on following the rules sometime in our lives?

Some of us, with all the new psychiatric info available these days see pathology everywhere. Meh, people are just flawed. Most of us like the shortcuts somewhere in our lives.

Take an honest look and check you aren't harming someone. Or like Mom used to say, "Try to be good."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology