Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,082,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Thank you for clarifying. Usually it's just best to (at least try) to avoid those people.
Exactly! But avoid the tendency that eventually happens of trying to put everybody who disagrees with your viewpoint in this folder. Some of the most useful people in my life have been people I don't particularly like or agree with.

Getting rid of the notion that everything's black or white, that it's my way or the highway, is very useful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,764 times
I will listen long enough to determine if I can learn anything from what the person is saying. If they are being irrational or arguing over something that doesn't matter to me or something that neither of us has control I will politely excuse myself and move on to something more constructive.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,441 times
The people that like to argue are mainly trying to go on a power trip. They are losers who typically cannot handle that they are not major players in the world. So they turn to arguing with "less" than them people. They would NEVER argue with people they view as an equal or superior. The thing you can do is best to avoid them. Don't smile at them, because that is a sign of weakness to them. Just avoid them.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,384 times
Its a tough one - because argue back with them and they have sucked you into an argument - and thats what they live for.

But sometimes they just need a piece of their own medicine- I can't stand people who run around looking for arguments all the time.

You just need to chose your moment - make sure you can beat them with a good argument- wait for them to do something wrong or something bad to you - and then you have your moment - use it to attack them with the venom they show you.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post

But sometimes they just need a piece of their own medicine- I can't stand people who run around looking for arguments all the time.
Don't do that. They won't get it. Instead they will just get angrier for you doing that. Like I said, the best thing is to just avoid them.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:57 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Some people are insecure and arguing gives them a sense of power and control.

Some people are foolish enough to believe that just because they heard something from someone else, it's the absolute truth and will argue til they're blue with you. **I do NOT argue unless I KNOW I am 100% right. I can not stand the taste of crow**

Some people are just plain old bullies and can't accept that you're right...because that would mean that they're wrong....and some people can not stand the idea of being wrong, because....well, in their eyes, if you're arguing with them, it means you think they're stupid. (you're smarter than them)

I try not to argue IRL. That's not always easy though, having kids and all. I have a grown son who spends entirely too much time hanging around with a couple of conspiracy theorist pals. The trouble with him and his friends is that they only hang out with uneducated, immature people who think they know it all.

The trouble with spending the majority of your time with ignorant people is that you get a false sense of "higher intelligence", which can end up making you look like an incredible fool when you find yourself in a group of intelligent people. Sadly, that happens to him a LOT when he comes home for a visit.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 27,079 times
The best thing to do is leave them alone. There are people who want to bicker about anything with anyone. Life is too short for stupidity and foolishness. Let them look in the mirror to find a sparring partner.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:14 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,894 times
Are you arugumentive or is someone being aguementive with you?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Any thoughts on what the deal is with extremely argumentative people?
This is what I ask myself before responding to these types of people:

"When the donkey brays...need you answer??

Old 08-21-2011, 12:16 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
That's a good comparison. And sometimes they just remind me of an angry guy in a bar looking to pick a fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology