Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
[clicks shut down and backs slowly away from computer]
Hahahaha....You know I say that with love in my heart. My only impulse is to create happiness and a healthy spirit among my fellow CDers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
It's nice to read about these, I think, more healthy uses of the internet. But I am still wondering what's happening in terms of the larger society? What would make a person become totally dependent on the internet as a means of social interaction?
Well as you know you get three things in face to face interaction that you don't get through chatting over the internet.

1. The tone of the people talking.

2. Facial expressions.

3. Body language

If these are unfavorable towards people it will discourage them from being social. All there is to chatting over the internet is words and smileys.

Also during face to face interaction, people have a tendency to stick their foot in there mouth because they have to respond to the other person right away. On the internet, you don't have to reply until you know the right thing to say.

Think about a time when you told somebody something you wish you can take back.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,301 times
I think so as well. I understand the importance of quick communication, but I also think it has its downsides (like the fact that spellcheck is turning me into an idiot ).

In my opinion, it's creating an "instant response" mentality - where people get mad if you take a few minutes or even hours to respond back.

I also think that it makes people expect to be able to reach you at all times of the day or night. What if I don't want to be disturbed at that point in time, or *GASP* - I might be actually interacting with people IN PERSON?

I think it is making us socially awkward and rude as well. It amazes me when I'm interacting with someone in person, and they'd rather text/IM/Facebook/tweet someone else, and don't understand WHY this kind of behavior is rude.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 08-08-2011 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
I am not sure about all this internet communication, it is like wearing a mask that we can hide behind. Social skills in general seem to be affected by communicating via the net.

To me, there are too many people who post on this type of forum who are just plain rude, confrontational and generally ill mannered. They get away with it because they do do not have to actually look the other person in the eye, if they did, they probably would run with their tail between their legs, as in truth, they are either cowards or bullys.

I post here because I like the variety of topics and have conversed with many fine people. I have learned to stay away from certain posts and posters as I know it will be a lose, lose situation.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I think so as well. I understand the importance of quick communication, but I also think it has its downsides (like the fact that spellcheck is turning me into an idiot ).

In my opinion, it's creating an "instant response" mentality - where people get mad if you take a few minutes or even hours to respond back.

I also think that it makes people expect to be able to reach you at all times of the day or night. What if I don't want to be disturbed at that point in time, or *GASP* - I might be actually interacting with people IN PERSON?

I think it is making us socially awkward and rude as well. It amazes me when I'm interacting with someone in person, and they'd rather text/IM/Facebook/tweet someone else, and don't understand WHY this kind of behavior is rude.
I agree totally with what you had written. This immediacy is becoming problematic and is being carried over into other areas.

My time is my time...and if I don't want to answer or I went somewhere and PURPOSELY left my phone at home, people get upset (due to your first observation!) My life does NOT revolve around my phone or my computer.

And the third comment 100x yes! These people are NOT living in the moment....and they are losing out on so much. NOTHING should be as important as the person you are with (unless you are expecting a call that is an emergecy or for a job!!!), and when people do this, the other person is being relegated to a nonentity. And I do tell people this as well as my students, and we do talk about it as this type of ettiquette needs to be taught as well.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Obviously.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:07 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I do see it happening, people texting or facebooking rather than visiting their friends and loved ones. I also see people playing volleyball on Wii rather than in real life. So maybe so.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:13 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
When people rely on the internet too much it enables them to be passive aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology