Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research on a woman who has deceived many people and slandered/libelled numerous others. It has been a jaw dropping pursuit. I wonder how she became this way. I wonder even more how someone is able to lie to the point that they start to believe what they say and actually act on it. Even more, how she is going to react when all this info comes out? It is scary.

Have any of you known one? If so, did you confront them? How?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Eh, who hasn't known someone like that? I've seen others succeed in their pursuit to expose them but it always ends up making the one doing the sleuthing get the negative attention b'c everyone already knew that the other was the way they are even if they didn't outwardly acknowledge it. Most just don't have the time or inclination to spend on exposing them. I know I don't.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Eh, who hasn't known someone like that? I've seen others succeed in their pursuit to expose them but it always ends up making the one doing the sleuthing get the negative attention b'c everyone already knew that the other was the way they are even if they didn't outwardly acknowledge it. Most just don't have the time or inclination to spend on exposing them. I know I don't.
They usually don't change either. I'd think their need to lie is more important than their relationships. Keep getting on them about it and they'll just get annoyed move onto their next victim.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Yes, I have known such a person. He lies effortlessly, fabricates complete nonsense. It's quite remarkable, really. He also has a history of violence: he assaulted someone I know, and he was arrested for beating up his girlfriend. I have been in assorted professional conflicts with this person, but I have steered completely clear of him on a personal basis. He is, hands down, the most awful person I have ever known.

Thankfully, I think there are very few people in life who plumb the depths that this person does. But having known him I now know how evil leaders have risen to power throughout history and committed unspeakable crimes.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Yes, I have known such a person. He lies effortlessly, fabricates complete nonsense. It's quite remarkable, really. He also has a history of violence: he assaulted someone I know, and he was arrested for beating up his girlfriend. I have been in assorted professional conflicts with this person, but I have steered completely clear of him on a personal basis. He is, hands down, the most awful person I have ever known.

Thankfully, I think there are very few people in life who plumb the depths that this person does. But having known him I now know how evil leaders have risen to power throughout history and committed unspeakable crimes.
It is unbelievable. In this case the woman is pathological. She has no remorse or regard for the people she maligns. It has been an amazing learning experience for me. It's a psychology paper in the making and a great "How To Spot a Manipulator" post. These people, with just one word, can make so many believe the most outlandish things. And that one word will be their out when you bust them.

It's so methodical, and when you look back on it you think, how did I not see that?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm doing some research on a woman who has deceived many people and slandered/libelled numerous others. It has been a jaw dropping pursuit. I wonder how she became this way. I wonder even more how someone is able to lie to the point that they start to believe what they say and actually act on it. Even more, how she is going to react when all this info comes out? It is scary.

lol, (and I'm saying this in a joking tone) this is new to you? It's in human nature to take short cuts; when you lie you can gain the upper hand quickly but it's only short term once the real results show up.

The biggest lie I have seen was about 3 years ago and I got lucky and was able to be a sidekick for a large business in L.A. The business was a vehicle donation program where they told you if you donated your car they would give the money to children who needed it...... Well... those kids never got the money....

BTW, it's the same for all the aids in Africa and the tsunami relief.... Dont give those people on T.V any money fokes....

If you want to do it right, do it how my girl Nia Peeples did and flew over there herself!! Shes the real Deal!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
What I've seen is that eventually their lies come back to haunt them. It may take years and the results may not be what you would like to see happen to them, but they end up going away. Either that or they become politicians where it's the norm.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
lol, (and I'm saying this in a joking tone) this is new to you? It's in human nature to take short cuts; when you lie you can gain the upper hand quickly but it's only short term once the real results show up.

The biggest lie I have seen was about 3 years ago and I got lucky and was able to be a sidekick for a large business in L.A. The business was a vehicle donation program where they told you if you donated your car they would give the money to children who needed it...... Well... those kids never got the money....

BTW, it's the same for all the aids in Africa and the tsunami relief.... Dont give those people on T.V any money fokes....

If you want to do it right, do it how my girl Nia Peeples did and flew over there herself!! Shes the real Deal!!!
LOL. Not new to me at all. I'm referring to the stuff that belongs in the DSM of Mental Disorders; harmful and duplicitous stuff.

Nia Peeples is the bomb.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
I would consider my brother as a pathological liar although he's never been diagnosed with a "mental disorder" that I know of. It's not just an occasional lie or an exaggeration here and there... but it's to the point where I can't believe ANYTHING he says. He has no reason to lie and does it every time we talk (hence, that's why I think he's a pathological liar). It's either blatant or subtle lies but he's bad at it either way - he must be the only one who believes what he's saying.

So, as far as confrontation I've done two things - I wrote him a letter telling him basically to stop lying to me. I stated that every time a lie drops from his lips in my direction that I WILL know that's he's lying - so he might as well stop looking like a fool. Anyway, that didn't work... he kept at it. Finally, he told me that his girlfriend was pregnant (of course, I had to verify to make sure he wasn't lying). So, I called him up, told him I'm going to be honest with him... and that I think he and his girlfriend should consider adopting out the child and that unless he gets his sh*t together, the child will never have a chance at a good life... there's better parents out there than him and that's a fact. Then after saying my peace, I asked, "so are you mad at me?" He stated, "yeah." Then I said, "well I'm mad at the fact that you lie to me all the time, so consider us even." He's po'd that I told him the uncomfortable truth and called him on his lies in one phone call. He refuses to talk to me and I'm okay with that.

So that's how I dealt with my pathological liar... there's no good way to do it though.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:49 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Nothing I can't stand more than an unprofessional, ameteurish liar. And REALLY GOOD liar is someone we can all learn from. For as we all know, a good lie can, sometimes, save our lives. In the world we live in today, lying skills can be essential to our survival. IF someone DOES lie to me AND gets away with it (which would be very, very rare indeed), well, I owe that person a dinner at the restaurant of his choice. He deserves it.

I look at it this way, if you're going to do ANYTHING, in this world, even lying, be professional about it, take lessons from your politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology