Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times

Advertisements

I took the SATs years ago and the first time I received 1260. Second time was 1020 ...Go figure. I stink at tests because I freeze up and OOPS forget a lot I am suppose to already know and understand.

As far as Online tests go I believe they appear to measure an IQ when in fact IQ's have little to do with test. THink about it....When most people get to a relaxed state of mind their best work appears. So with an IQ of XYZ when relaxed and a lower one when stressed what does it measure? Relaxation? Hey...Maybe we have something here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM

529 posts, read 1,301,004 times
I love them, I take some every now and then, I usually take the Mensa ones but I agree that are not accurate at all, once I got a 161, come on I'm smart but not Einstein.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Sorry, I'm a psychologist and I can tell you they are 100% not anywhere near accurate. You can do them for fun, but it tells you nothing.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I've never taken an IQ test - not in school and not outside of school. I've taken silly personality tests at some companies where I worked, but that's an aside. Does anyone know why IQ tests are/were given?
I'm giving an IQ test tomorrow to assess a child for a learning disability. They test your overall cognitive ability, which can provide you with good information of education planning specificially. And yes, they do take several hours (can be 4+, with kids or people who aren't as high of functioning, maybe 2+ but it's not all verbal questions/answers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
While we're definitely smarter (), I believe that IQ scores actually drop as you age. That has nothing to do with intelligence but, rather, with the tests' scoring models.

There is a Flynn Effect that says that over time IQ scores get higher (through generations). Overall, IQ's should be relatively stable. They don't really drop as you age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I took the SATs years ago and the first time I received 1260. Second time was 1020 ...Go figure. I stink at tests because I freeze up and OOPS forget a lot I am suppose to already know and understand.

As far as Online tests go I believe they appear to measure an IQ when in fact IQ's have little to do with test. THink about it....When most people get to a relaxed state of mind their best work appears. So with an IQ of XYZ when relaxed and a lower one when stressed what does it measure? Relaxation? Hey...Maybe we have something here....
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying here, however, IQ tests are also generally given as part of a full battery of tests so you can also get at things like anxiety, stress, etc to see if this is an accurate portrayal. They are also generally given over several sessions. They also aren't paper and pencil tests and look nothing like the SAT. The SAT is a measure of academic achievement, IQ tests are cognitive ability. They are two totally seperate constructs.

Now, are there major problems with SAT's, sure! One being that they don't really predict how well you'll do in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology