Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:59 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
Anyone who hates children or animals is not a very nice person in my book. It takes a kind hearted person to be willing to care for both children and animals; a responsible, unselfish and loving person and anyone who can't go that extra mile for either of those things is not a really great person in my book. I dated someone who didn't like my son (see the post about what was the meanest thing someone you dated did) I called this someone "ALF" and he use to say..."ECK..the wife, the cat, the kid and the dog...ECK....not my cup of tea"....guess what...he was a jerk!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
My daughter doesn't like kids, doesn't want any, will never have any - and I fully support her in that decision. She has the kindest heart imaginable; when I found a stray feral kitten and was going to take it to the pound, she scooped it up, took it to the pound - and had it fixed, got it its shots, and then took it home and gave it a bath. Now she and Beaker are inseperable. She is not a future "cat lady" - she only likes her Beaker. She is kind and generous and thoughtful and gentle, and most folks love her because she is blunt and honest and minds her own business. She is never at a loss for dates or friends. She just recently took up with someone older than her who doesn't want children either, and they work together on projects, think alike, and are very warm and compatible.

So I'll never really be a grandmother (in spite of my moniker) - boo hoo. I'm not the grandmotherly type - and having a spoiled rotten cat as my only 'grandbaby' is great. I can do all of the things I want to do and "babysitting" involves a clean litterbox and bowls of food and water. No "grannygrannygranny lookit ME!" no ignoring what I want to do today for a spoiled brat to take up my time. As a mother, I never thought that being a mother was "special" or accorded me any rights or privileges that superceded other peoples'; anyone can be a rabbit or an octomom (and far too many are). Now that my children are grown, they realize that having children takes up a lot of time and effort, is a serious daily commitment, and is not something to be taken lightly or abused for selfish personal or emotional gratification. Too many parents today think that they 'deserve' special consideration because they can do what any animal can do!

Gee, I wonder from where my daughter (and her two brothers, too) get their attitude? I didn't have kids to snuggle and cuddle and spoil indefinitely; I had kids because I liked the idea of raising intelligent, competent, responsible, and conversant adults of which I could be proud. I did. And I am. And I'm done. Now I live my life, my children live theirs, and we have a great time going out to eat, hitting the bars, or just staying home and playing card and board games whenever we are together. If at any time they choose to have children, I am comforted in the knowledge that it will be a rational, responsible, intelligent decision with much planning and forethought. And they'll know better than to insist that people treat them as 'special', or to bring their children to my house expecting me to give up my life to take care of them.

Last edited by SCGranny; 04-18-2009 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 06:35 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,745 times
I don't like children, and i never really have. And I don't deem myself a "bad" person.

I don't understand kids, nor care to, and this is how I want it to remain.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:42 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
I don't like kids, and i really don't like most teenagers (you try sharing a crowded bus full of the obnoxious beings every day and tell me you still think they're great)...

But puppies are one of the greatest things in the world.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:03 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Default Are people who dislike children generally 'not very nice?'

Quote:
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
I don't like children in general. I don't find them cute and adorable. I resent the attitude that children are precious and more valuable and worthy of saving more than any adults. I intensely dislike children that have been parented poorly, the ones that are ill-mannered and loud in public. Children are not delicate little blossoms that need to be coddled.

If I seem irritated at annoying children in public, it's because it is socially unacceptable to discipline someone else's child. However, I feel that I shouldn't have to suffer a child's public bad behaviour with a smile and accept that "kids will be kids" attitude. I was raised to be polite and respect all adults. Children are not the equal of adults. They have no bargaining rights. They must listen to what their parents and teachers tell them to do without a big protest. When I see ill-behaved children, I am upset that they will soon be ill-behaved spoiled adults.

I don't like parents that think that they are doing society a big favour by having kids. But our planet is very over populated with humans, we don't need any more children. And there is zero chance of all adults suddenly not making babies and the human race dying out. The only way humans will become extinct is through overpopulation causing massive planetary pollution (no food or clean water) or some viral epidemic that will spread quickly because of our dense population and travel paths.

I do consider myself to be a nice and warm person to my friends and co-workers, and most strangers. But my approval and friendship is not an automatic given, it has to be earned. I am always very nice to well-behaved polite children and responsible good parents.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
I'm talking about people who truly dislike children, and to an extent, dislike ALL teenagers. That kind of blanket dislike.
Yes, I am put off by any kind of blanket dislike about people. "I can't stand kids" is, to me, no different than "I can't stand Asians."

Of course, when I say, "I can't stand people who can't stand people," therein lies my hypocrisy. I can live with it, though.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:32 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,468 times
Quote:
How does dislike equal hate? Just wondering. And no, I don't think people who dislike children are not nice. Maybe the children they've had contact with are just horrible.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
Funny, basically I'm not interested in the children's world (their games, Pokemon, their boisterousness) and yet I get along much better with children than with adults.
I guess it's because I'm staying young at heart!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,446 times
I think there is a big difference between not liking kids and not wanting any of your own. I can understand not wanting kids, it is a big sacrifice but I don't think that is at all what the OP is talking about.

EVERYONE hates it when kids misbehave in public. At the same time, the most wellbehaved kid on the planet will misbehave sometimes and even the strictest parent will make mistakes or let things go for whatever reasons so it isn't fair to judge someone and their child for the two minutes that you might see them. If you are in a restaurant and a child at the table next to you is being disruptive and the parents are doing nothing about it then by all means say something.

Anyway, I think the OP is just talking about people who don't like kids in general. The ones who resent children lives being placed above adults (and I think that is because they are helpless). The ones who can't stand to be around even the well behaved children. I have lots of friends that don't want their own children but they are always very kind and interactive with other children and they don't mind going to places where there are children.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:44 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,546 times
Why do some people hate children? Perhaps it’s because they are narcissistic who believe the world is about them. They believe every one should model their lives, think like them and not have children. After all to love children one must know how to understand them. You don't leave much time for understanding anything else when one is self absorbed. It’s not very hard since we all began life as a child. So many just tend to embrace a very negative view about what being a child is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology