Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
There are no words to describe the relief I feel that people like you don't run anything except their mouths...

And who the Sam Hill died and made you an authority on what people's parenting skills are? Or what the future of the world holds? Just because you're having a bad day, doesn't mean everybody else wants to hear your 'I'm A Mean Widdle Kid!' whining and carping and masquerading as being a rational adult all the time...

I don't have children of my own, true, but I'm not going around calling other people's kids a pain in the a**, and acting like Yosemite Sam with a bad case of diaper rash, because people aren't doing things according to how YOU think they should...not your call, sporty
You make a reasoned point. Not everybody in life exists to accommodate us.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm talking about people who truly dislike children, and to an extent, dislike ALL teenagers. That kind of blanket dislike.
Animals aren't juvenile delinquents.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:34 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
There are no words to describe the relief I feel that people like you don't run anything except their mouths...

And who the Sam Hill died and made you an authority on what people's parenting skills are? Or what the future of the world holds? Just because you're having a bad day, doesn't mean everybody else wants to hear your 'I'm A Mean Widdle Kid!' whining and carping and masquerading as being a rational adult all the time..
Parents out there are doing great job, NOT Look at all these "winners" out there, including some that post here. Sometimes, it seems like these days, 80% of women out there are emotionally unstable, actually I have never had a girlfriend that had a "healthy" relationship with her parents.

Soon enough, a college degree will be the new "high school diploma", most of these "winner" parents have no college funds for their children, in 20 years, these kids will be graduating with 200K in school loan debt and probably nothing more than a service/call center job waiting for them, wow, what a great future ahead of us!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:56 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,812,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Parents out there are doing great job, NOT Look at all these "winners" out there, including some that post here. Sometimes, it seems like these days, 80% of women out there are emotionally unstable, actually I have never had a girlfriend that had a "healthy" relationship with her parents.

Soon enough, a college degree will be the new "high school diploma", most of these "winner" parents have no college funds for their children, in 20 years, these kids will be graduating with 200K in school loan debt and probably nothing more than a service/call center job waiting for them, wow, what a great future ahead of us!

YouTube - yosemite sam clip

Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 AM

369 posts, read 772,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
Nice clip. Here's one that shows some of the things I see at work. Some of these scenes are irresponsible parents, some non parents. The car seat (or actually lack of) scene is very similar to a flight I had at work recently.

These are the sort of things I've seen over the course of my career.
Might explain why I don't feel the need to cut irresponsible parents any slack. I've worn the blood home. If that makes me like Yosemite Sam I'll wear that badge with honor. At least I'm doing something to try and keep things like this from happening. Parents who let kids misbehave in public are putting their children at risk of injury. A kid who is running around a store or restaurant is one dart out the door from traffic, one tripped wait staff from a third degree burn, one fall from a broken bone. I'd much rather be the blustering ....... than the one who let them get hurt.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Animals aren't juvenile delinquents.
But not all teens are bad, nor delinquents.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Most of the responses on this thread as it evolves really back up my earlier stance and my earlier post that whether or not people who don't like kids are, in fact, "nice," they're typically not people who strike me as particularly patient, particularly tolerant, or particularly flexible. Whether or not they're "nice" is really just a matter of opinion, but it seems to me to be fairly likely that the above characteristics are fairly lacking in a lot of people who profess to dislike children. That's not inherently good or bad, it is what it is.
Is not accepting that others won't do as they do bad? I'd think that is not "nice" personally.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
Nice clip. Here's one that shows some of the things I see at work. Some of these scenes are irresponsible parents, some non parents. The car seat (or actually lack of) scene is very similar to a flight I had at work recently.

These are the sort of things I've seen over the course of my career.
Might explain why I don't feel the need to cut irresponsible parents any slack. I've worn the blood home. If that makes me like Yosemite Sam I'll wear that badge with honor. At least I'm doing something to try and keep things like this from happening. Parents who let kids misbehave in public are putting their children at risk of injury. A kid who is running around a store or restaurant is one dart out the door from traffic, one tripped wait staff from a third degree burn, one fall from a broken bone. I'd much rather be the blustering ....... than the one who let them get hurt.
YOU are not who I was referring to. The clip was a throwback to an earlier post, referring to someone else. I respect what you have posted, I respect what you do for a living. Make no mistake on that. Please do not take it what I posted out of context.

Yes, I'm a parent, and I do my best to be a damn good one. Do I judge those who don't want kids and decide not to have them? NO. I respect that, and I am happy they are not having kids just because they feel pressured to by society. There are parents who are very irresponsible, even dangerous, who should NOT have had kids, and we see that every day in the news.

Being a parent is not something to take lightly, but there are many, MANY of us who take it very seriously, and are working to raise good, respectful kids. People tend not to acknowledge us, though, probably because our kids are not the ones that are getting the negative attention. We just kind of fade into the background.

Some of us even have extra challenges with special needs kids, which means much more work than the "average" child, most likely for the rest of our lives, because our kids may never be able to live a normal life. But that is something that everyone must consider before deciding to have children. If you don't want kids, because you think they're annoying and loud, and whatever (speaking generally, here), then PLEASE don't have them, because you most certainly won't be able to handle a child that has needs that go far beyond that of a neurotypical child.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
YOU are not who I was referring to. The clip was a throwback to an earlier post, referring to someone else. I respect what you have posted, I respect what you do for a living. Make no mistake on that. Please do not take it what I posted out of context.

Yes, I'm a parent, and I do my best to be a damn good one. Do I judge those who don't want kids and decide not to have them? NO. I respect that, and I am happy they are not having kids just because they feel pressured to by society. There are parents who are very irresponsible, even dangerous, who should NOT have had kids, and we see that every day in the news.

Being a parent is not something to take lightly, but there are many, MANY of us who take it very seriously, and are working to raise good, respectful kids. People tend not to acknowledge us, though, probably because our kids are not the ones that are getting the negative attention. We just kind of fade into the background.

Some of us even have extra challenges with special needs kids, which means much more work than the "average" child, most likely for the rest of our lives, because our kids may never be able to live a normal life. But that is something that everyone must consider before deciding to have children. If you don't want kids, because you think they're annoying and loud, and whatever (speaking generally, here), then PLEASE don't have them, because you most certainly won't be able to handle a child that has needs that go far beyond that of a neurotypical child.
I don't see the need for offence. he was only stating his own opinion.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 AM

I wasn't offended. HE was offended, and I said he took my post out of context, and that I respected his opinion. Then I put in my own 2 cents just to keep on topic.

Did you even read what I wrote??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology