Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:31 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
There are no words that offent me, people can call me whatever they want. I've been called a ton of racial slurs, it's marginally annoying but I don't get upset about. I rarely call someone a derogatory name, but once and a while I might think it LOL. I don't feel bad about just thinking it, I can think whatever I please. The worst thing I've ever actually called someone was a f'in redneck and, frankly, they deserved it.
My point exactly. It isn't necessarily all perception, they are what they are.

Quote:
PassTheChocolate: Almost anything people do can cause harm to themselves or others. Driving a car, for instance. If I'm a loser for doing dangerous things then so are most people. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean..........
You misunderstood. Driving a car can hardly be construed as a hurtful, diminishing act. If you drove a car smashed out of your mind or have a habit of raging on the road, cutting people off and placing them in danger, you'd be a loser. I'm referring to people who have no regard for others or enjoy hurting them - things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I just read the whole thread. I'm trying to figure out if I'm thick-skinned, or if everyone in the thread is a bunch of sensitive whiners. None of the words y'all mention offend me, particularly.

The only ones I take offense at are the ones which are directed at me, and spoken by someone whose opinion I value.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:01 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I just read the whole thread. I'm trying to figure out if I'm thick-skinned, or if everyone in the thread is a bunch of sensitive whiners. None of the words y'all mention offend me, particularly.

The only ones I take offense at are the ones which are true, directed at me, and spoken by someone whose opinion I value.
LOL. It's not a matter of slitting your wrists over it, just which word(s) you find offensive.

I agree, if someone I respect disapproves of something, I'll take it to heart, IF they're right. Even those closest to you can get it wrong.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,788 times
I would agree that being called stupid is a really hurtful thing. I don't think any name calling is acceptable.
I think the worst thing anyone ever said to me is my mom used to say that I was a disease infecting the family. My dad still says that I am a poison to the family and that I am poisoning them all. I guess with my presence.

It hurt me so much because they would tell it to people I knew. It has distorted my thinking of other peoples opinions because I don't know what it means to be a disease or a poison. It can't be explained like being called stupid can be.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 PM

530 posts, read 780,015 times
I don't really have any specific words that offend me. But when it comes to that dreaded C word, I say it actually means
Can't Understand Normal Thinking, and unfortunately I have met a lot of those!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
I don't really have any specific words that offend me. But when it comes to that dreaded C word, I say it actually means
Can't Understand Normal Thinking, and unfortunately I have met a lot of those!
The worst word you could say to a woman!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 PM

530 posts, read 780,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
The worst word you could say to a woman!
With the meaning I gave that word it applies to the fellas sometimes too!

Old 01-10-2010, 01:44 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Yeah. Too many adults don't know what child abuse really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I really don't care if someone calls me anything - I know who I am. I also look at who is saying it. Anyone who calls a child anything outside of his/her name has issues.
I hate people who think that they think outside the box but they are really superficial jerks. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I can relate. I'm not saying I'm a genius, but I encounter a lot of box-thinkers. Anything deeper than what they are accustomed to is a threat to their reality. In the end, I think too much and I'm too uptight. I can deal with that, as long as I'm not stoopid.

By the way, where is a good site for an IQ test? I wanna check my kidneys.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:46 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Every body has different sensitivities.

What I don't like is women who are "assertive" and they do everything to impose and obstruct another person's assertiveness. You can be assertive but it is wrong for somebody else to be assertive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
B*tchy...when I'm assertive
Entitled...when I demand equal pay
Sl*t....when I know what I want
Floozy...because I actually get it
A nice piece of *ss...when I dress nicely
"Shorty"....because I don't find that demeaning at all

You know, the stuff all women whine unnecessarily about.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Loser.

If I call someone that (of if someone calls me that), then I know that's the end or at a minimum extremely damaging to whatever relationship I have with that someone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology