Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 AM

47 posts, read 67,591 times

Advertisements

I think I "live" this way, but I am not really one.. I mean not in the intense manner you usually associate it.

I'm not out having wild orgies or nuttin. I mean, I would if I could , but I'm realistic with what pleasures of the world I really can have...

More like.. weed, cigs, sex, massages, relaxing, music, etc. And NOT work, responsiblity, things you don't wanna do, etc..

Purely things you want to do.

Joys. Candy, food, ice cream. All day, everyday.

However, I think... I understand you HAVE to work. But, to me, the notion you don't WANT to, should be vocally and visually more apparent.

Because, otherwise it looks like we all become slaves.. I mean, the point is that, we really don't WANT to work, we just need to. Well some do.

But, everyone knows, you have to accept it and truly feel you enjoy it.... otherwise you go crazy.

But to me, I see it like.. you're in denial.

You really "need" that job for the house, but you "need" that house for the wife and kids....

"Wife and kids".

BUT, what about those who have no "wife/husband/or kids".. then how do you treat "work"??

Now, you don't really "need" a house... and you go back to your individual needs, which is 'pleasure'.

So, is HEDONISM the opposite of, say... folks who find love and marriage and kids, IE.."do it for the kids"??

If you don't have kids, must you be a hedonist?? Because, if you have no kids and need for a home, why not just seek pleasure???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
I'd be willing to be a lot of people find singles to be hedonists.
That's why so many people, including a few on here, like to play the "marital status" trump card.
There are plenty of responsible single people who don't need a spouse to make them complete and don't really like children.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwalkLikeArabbit View Post
I think I "live" this way, but I am not really one.. I mean not in the intense manner you usually associate it.

I'm not out having wild orgies or nuttin. I mean, I would if I could , but I'm realistic with what pleasures of the world I really can have...

More like.. weed, cigs, sex, massages, relaxing, music, etc. And NOT work, responsiblity, things you don't wanna do, etc..

However, I think... I understand you HAVE to work. But, to me, the notion you don't WANT to, should be vocally and visually more apparent.

Because, otherwise it looks like we all become slaves.. I mean, the point is that, we really don't WANT to work, we just need to. Well some do.

But, everyone knows, you have to accept it and truly feel you enjoy it.... otherwise you go crazy.

You really "need" that job for the house, but you "need" that house for the wife and kids....

"Wife and kids".

BUT, what about those who have no "wife/husband/or kids".. then how do you treat "work"??

Now, you don't really "need" a house... and you go back to your individual needs, which is 'pleasure'.

So, is HEDONISM the opposite of, say... folks who find love and marriage and kids, IE.."do it for the kids"??

If you don't have kids, must you be a hedonist?? Because, if you have no kids and need for a home, why not just seek pleasure???
OK.....is this how you are living? How is this working out for you? And why ae you posting this? 'Coz I'm not hearing an actual question anywhere in there.

There is a theory in positive psychology that says happiness is simply the pursuit of pleasure. And a lot of people seem to subscribe to it.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
To the OP I ask, are you a religious man?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwalkLikeArabbit View Post

"Wife and kids".

Were you smokin' that weed when you posted this?

You don't need to have a house, spouse or kids in order to feel the need to work. Also, work doesn't always suck. If you find something you enjoy, then it doesn't feel like you are being a "slave" to anything.

You need food and some type of shelter (at least most people need some type of shelter). Therefore, you need to work. You can work at a job for money. Or you can "work" for your needs by farming and hunting, or mooching and begging, or scamming people. You pretty much need to work in one way or another to meet your needs. It's just the type of work that varies.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I don't think anyone has to accept, "trully feel you like it" their job, to keep from going crazy...lots of us hate our jobs...but we like driving our trucks...we like having conveniant appliances (stoves, fridges, tvs, computers etc...all of which require money.......We lived for 10 years out in the toolies with no power, no water, no services of any kind....it can be done...but you still need some money coming in, if you want to support yourselves and not depend on others........We have kids (mostly grown now)...but they have never been a deterent for us obtaining great pleasures in life,...for us having children proved optimal , and I've never felt that I've lost out or given up anything for it.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:02 PM

507 posts, read 1,537,573 times
Let me guess..... you've been bored and stoned lately??

And you're like.... 20-something? Live with parents, or a school dorm?

Dude, have fun while you can. Seriously, it gets more complicated the older one gets. Just understand you should pay your own way, however grand or simple you want it. Don't be a mooch, be kind to others, and all is good

Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
If you eat too much candy, you get sick.

If you eat too much junk food, you get fat, or diabetes, or bowel cancer.

If you watch too much TV or play too much computer games, your eyes get screwed.

If you party too much, drink, do drugs - you look like Keith Richards.

If you have too much sex, you expose yourself to STD's and eventually you get a bit bored of it.

I've never been purely a hedonist. Sure, we're all comfort/pleasure seekers and hedonists, but the HAPPIEST people know that kids or not kids, responsibilities or not, it's most fulfilling to put hedonism in it's place and balance it with a bit of moderation.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Let me guess..... you've been bored and stoned lately??

And you're like.... 20-something? Live with parents, or a school dorm?

Dude, have fun while you can. Seriously, it gets more complicated the older one gets. Just understand you should pay your own way, however grand or simple you want it. Don't be a mooch, be kind to others, and all is good
I think he is stuck in "Arrested Development" and is avoiding becoming a grown up. Period.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:08 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
It ain't hedonism 'till the hard drugs get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology