Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 9,910 times

Advertisements

Though we are on a limited budget, it seems like there are many properties offering good value. Which communities are must see (I like 'em friendly and active)? Which communities to avoid? Is there a web site listing Florida "gated" communities? Hope I've done enough internet research. Any suggestions on how to procede will be appreciated. We will be staying in the area next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Why do you think you need a gated community?
from what I have seen in the area around Venice there is not a lot of crime--but I am not full time resident...
and from what I see and read most gated communities have a false sense of more security unless there is a manned guard house...
if it is just gated with a security code at the gate--it is fairly easy for people to go in and out with or without a code...

find a crime map and check areas with low crime rates--

Old 11-06-2010, 07:22 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
Sex offenders live in gated communities too you know. As well as other criminals. Who are you afraid of? Better to live in a community of less part-timers and more full-timers who keep an eye on the neighborhood.

I'd suggest a search on the FDLE Sex Offender website to make sure you know where the sex offenders are. I left a gated community because I couldn't take the condo commanders but guess who lived down the street (an owner), yep a sex offender.

I asked the manager how we could let renters and new owners know about that when they moved in and he would not touch it at all. After all the S.O. was an owner with rights.

Pretty gated communities can be hiding ugly stuff behind the attractive facades.

I live in a great neighborhood now, no gates.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Welcome to the Board. You've come to the right place to ask questions! There are lots of great posters here. ;-)

I would DM SoFLGal, and tell her what you are looking for. She has a tremendous knowledge of the area. She has lived in SWFL (this area in particular) her whole life. You can read through a lot of the posts on the board, and you can see that!... Look for things she has written.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:55 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Can you give us an idea of your budget? Then we can rule in and rule out many communities. Do you have specific activities that interest you? Golf, tennis, boating, etc If you are looking gated then you will have HOA fees to consider and possibly CDD fees as well (I wrote a blog on this site that explains about them). Have you been to the area before? Did you see any areas that interest you? How far do you want to be from the beach?

You can search www.myfloridahomesmls.com , which is the most up-to-date website in the area. Then you can do extra searching on Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, etc.

Good luck with it

Last edited by SoFLGal; 11-06-2010 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 9,910 times
Thanks for the responses. Planning on staying at Harbor Lakes RV Park for a couple of weeks mid December. We will be moving our 5th wheel around southern FL for the next several months after that. I am plowing through the early postings working toward most recent: still have 75 pages to go. With all the information that the C-D community has out there, I probably should keep reading before asking questions that have already been answered. I will be back bleary eyed after I complete the loop.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaman View Post
Thanks for the responses. Planning on staying at Harbor Lakes RV Park for a couple of weeks mid December. We will be moving our 5th wheel around southern FL for the next several months after that. I am plowing through the early postings working toward most recent: still have 75 pages to go. With all the information that the C-D community has out there, I probably should keep reading before asking questions that have already been answered. I will be back bleary eyed after I complete the loop.

When you finish you will have to change your name to "Old Operaman". There is a lot to read, maybe you should take one of those speed reading classes to help get through it all faster. I hope you find the perfect spot!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:45 AM

425 posts, read 1,104,956 times
Default La Casa

we have a place in LaCasa which is in North Port, very active community,we own a share of the park, the mortgage is paid off on the park, and they have instituted a new law that anyone either renting or buying in the park now has to have a credit check and a background check( at there own expense).It is a beautiful park,and lovely residents- they will take you around by golf cart to check it out, and there is a gate and 24 hr security.
There is a website , just cant remember the id. hope this helps

Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 AM

19 posts, read 44,046 times
Default Charlotte County Gated Communities

There are a number of very nice gated communities in the area. Are you looking for a condo or single family home? I like Heritage Oak Park in Port Charlotte. It has a nice mix of condos, villas and single family homes. Prices range from $100,000 to about $300,000. It is close to Hwy 776 and US 41 so you can get right to the Town Center Mall, restaurants and shops. Englewood Beach is only 25 minutes down 776 and there is a nice beach on the harbor in Port Charlotte.

If you have a luxury budget, you may consider Grassy Point. It has a guarded gate and a marina and beautiful homes with views of the harbor but the prices start in the high hundreds and into the millions.

There are also many others in Englewood and Punta Gorda.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
As other have suggested, you need to drive around the area. Also, knowing your price range is essential to offer suggestions. In addition to selling price, you also need to know what your total monthly bill will be including taxes, fees & CDD (if added to your tax) I never heard of a CDD until I moved here, so I thought I'd mention it.

I only like single family homes because I am totally paranoid about hearing neighbors through the walls or floors. (been there/done that) I'd buy a mobile home before I'd get a condo, but that's just my own preference ..or peculiarity!

I think Lakeside Plantation in North Port is very nice. There are attached villas and single family homes. I don't like the townhouses, but your taste might be different.

I agree with Suncoasteam about Heritage Park. Very central location. I didn't realize there were single family homes there. Maybe my Realtor only showed me villas in my price range. (I'll have to check!)

Riverwood is also very nice, although more expensive. The prices run anywhere from the $120s for condos to over $400 for single family homes. You'll be staying very close to it in Harbor Lakes. (almost next door)

Since you'll be staying on the same road, I also suggest you take a ride a few miles down El Jobean Rd (which becomes S. McCall) and stop by The Village of Holiday Lakes. Not fancy, but it's well maintained, peaceful, quiet and you own your own land. The fee is $95 a month. (think it included lawn mowing) It isn't gated, but most homes are far off the main road.

Here are other posts about La Casa, although I'm not familiar with the community.

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/sarasota-bradenton-venice-area/550668-north-port-55-gated-communities-2.html[/URL]

SoFLGal once listed a lot of communities with manned entrances:

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/11820242-post2.html[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte