Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM

413 posts, read 828,343 times

Advertisements

Man I wish I was there! I would be with you guys for sure. Good Luck,look forward to the photos.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Remember those forecast near perfect conditions of 10 mph winds?
15-20 all night long.
Remember those 1' seas? 2-3' all night with the occasional 4 just to through us off.
We had one scary squall of storms about midnight, with lots of lightning, but we stayed on the cusp of it and only had some rain for 10 minutes.

It's hard enough for my old eyes to thread lines in the day light, much less in the dark.
We gave it a hell of an effort though. The conditions kept us no more than 4-6 miles out. The trip back at 430 AM forced us to limit our speed to 6 knots.
The moon was bright enough after it came out from behind the clouds but there were too many storms to see the sunset or moon rise.

We found lots of fish on the finder but everything caught was undersized. Mangrove snappers, a jack and 3 live squid landed. First time I've caught squid. They kinda of creeped me out by squirting water and ink at me. My 441S did seem to show a hellofalot more detail in the darkness though. I was really impressed with that.

So the bottom line for us was the super moon was a super flop. But we survived it and got some more valuable experience on the water.
Overall I'd say my next overnight boat trip will be on Royal Caribbean.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Yup, that's what I call hard fishin'. Next time we need to find somebody with a Bertram 52 who's looking for deckhands.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Remember those forecast near perfect conditions of 10 mph winds?
15-20 all night long.
Remember those 1' seas? 2-3' all night with the occasional 4 just to through us off.
We had one scary squall of storms about midnight, with lots of lightning, but we stayed on the cusp of it and only had some rain for 10 minutes.

It's hard enough for my old eyes to thread lines in the day light, much less in the dark.
We gave it a hell of an effort though. The conditions kept us no more than 4-6 miles out. The trip back at 430 AM forced us to limit our speed to 6 knots.
The moon was bright enough after it came out from behind the clouds but there were too many storms to see the sunset or moon rise.

We found lots of fish on the finder but everything caught was undersized. Mangrove snappers, a jack and 3 live squid landed. First time I've caught squid. They kinda of creeped me out by squirting water and ink at me. My 441S did seem to show a hellofalot more detail in the darkness though. I was really impressed with that.

So the bottom line for us was the super moon was a super flop. But we survived it and got some more valuable experience on the water.
Overall I'd say my next overnight boat trip will be on Royal Caribbean.
LOL - good thing I had to change my plans! Luck of the Irish I guess!! Although, I still wanta go!!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:16 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
When ever they call for smooth water you can bet they will be three footers. I just checked this comming wed and thurs it is calling for a light chop in the harbor. What they don't forcast is the couple hours of nasty when the wind and tide are fighting each other. Last wed the harbor was rough and the pass was smooth. I was jealous of you guys getting to go out overnight. I should have figured the weather guys would miss the call.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Gag Grouper opens in ONE WEEK!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
I would have loved to have gone except for the fact that I'm currently out of state. I probably could have helped you catch some fish too, since with 3 footers I would have been chumming for you over the side of the boat all night long!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I would have loved to have gone except for the fact that I'm currently out of state. I probably could have helped you catch some fish too, since with 3 footers I would have been chumming for you over the side of the boat all night long!

I went out with a captain years ago in the keys. it was a rough day and I was hurling most of the time. the captain kept saying ole pat he's pretty tough, fish a little puke a little.
I was sea sick my whole time in the Navy. I slept outside on the decks with a life jacket for a pillow for four years.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
[QUOTE
I was sea sick my whole time in the Navy. I slept outside on the decks with a life jacket for a pillow for four years.[/quote]

I take back my whining. THAT'S hard fishin'.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Heading out late in the AM tomorrow...any Reds biting in the upper harbor lately or has the rain pushed them all south? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte