Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM

493 posts, read 1,386,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I launched this afternoon for just a couple of hours alone. I'd put bilge cleaner in my filthy bilge and needed to slosh it around so this was just the forecast for getting sloshed...15-20 MPH winds, seas 2-3 feet. I left my canal on the north end of Charlotte Harbor at 4PM and zipped out to the mouth of the Myakka River. White caps were everywhere but my Bay boat handled it like a big boat. I dropped an xrap 10 and trolled it for about 30 minutes. I had 2 reel screaming hookups but landed zero. The second fish actually continued chasing the lure after he got off of it and came pretty close to my stern. Looked like a Spanish Mackeral, which is what I was targeting.

It felt good just to be one the water, even if it was for a brief run. Even in moderately choppy seas, I got the aluminum prop up over 40 MPH. Got airborn a few times at about 25. Very fun run. The Key West 196 BR is awesome!

MA did you note the rpm when you were doing over 40MPH? Just curious, but if that is truly a 17 pitch then an 18 or 19 pitch ought to get you around 43-45 if the RPM is where it should be. The big difference will be in the holeshot with an SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
MA did you note the rpm when you were doing over 40MPH? Just curious, but if that is truly a 17 pitch then an 18 or 19 pitch ought to get you around 43-45 if the RPM is where it should be. The big difference will be in the holeshot with an SS.
RPM this time was at 5200. I can tell you that I jumped on plane almost instantly this time, as opposed to when I had two others aboard.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM

MA, sent you a DM regarding the prop info, I would look for a local prop guy that would be willing to let you borrow (with a deposit of course) a SS prop in the variety we talked about and see which one works best for you. Sounds as though the fishin' is picking up around Charlotte and neighboring areas. If I was bass fishing down there I would probably be fishing Lake Okeechobee right about now. The lunkers are moving in with every full moon, so now is the time to capitalize!

Sounds like BH is getting into some fish as well, as for us Michiganders we just got another inch of the white stuff yesterday!

Forecast is for highs in the forties though for the next 8-10 days, after that I'm hoping for at least a couple of 50 degree days.

Going to the regional fishing/camping show next week on the 17th, at least we can a little about going. Ok, I'm done belly-akin for now.

Go out and catch some fish you guys!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:14 PM

I'll be in the DTW area March 21-23. Order up some sun in my honor, will ya?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:

Maybe you can catch some bait (grasshoppers) there!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Good luck with that, this is March in cold country and this time of year we get a lot of cloudy days. Sun, what Sun??

Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 AM

MA, I found a place near you that comes to you and offers testing for performance sake of your prop and lets you try the prop for free. Go to www.propgods.com and check out the page, he is in the Venice area. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Fished all day today. Trolled 3 miles off shore from BGP, ten miles south. Landed one Spanish Mac, 17". Returned to the BGP and spent a few hours drifting live shrimp. Got 3 good size Bonnethead Sharks but the 3rd and biggest got away after a rod malfunction. Released undersized grouper, perch, undesirable catfish. Friends from AZ loved the day...so did I. Tomorrow...business in Boston for a week.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 AM

Big House...where are ya? Don't let our thread die, man. It's the 3rd most read thread on the forum! Give us a fishing report.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Big House...where are ya? Don't let our thread die, man. It's the 3rd most read thread on the forum! Give us a fishing report.
I had a great day fishing when I last posted, but went to Disney Land for a few days. I am planning on going out again this weekend. I am sure the fishing reports will get better and better as the warmer water and weather approaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte