Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times

Advertisements

BTW, Foxrivman1, Captain Mel passed away but his webside is being maintained and you'll learn everything you want to learn from there (all due respect to BH!). The fact that it is geared more to the Tampa Bay area won't really matter--all same principles. www.capmel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM

493 posts, read 1,386,132 times
Thanks, I will check this out as well. Hey, anything and everything is what I read. Never to old to learn!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Had to laugh when I saw that. There was a guy named Captain Mel Berman who had a great Saturday morning fishing show on the radio and I learned a lot from him. He used to say that shrimp was the Sarah Lee of baits...."Everybody doesn't like something but nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee..."
That's true I like that!! I think shrimp is like Wrigley's Gum, the fish chew it up!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
Thanks, I will check this out as well. Hey, anything and everything is what I read. Never to old to learn!
I use this one for checking the tides
Tide Location Selection for Florida Gulf Coast

And this one for fishing reports
Florida Fishing Reports
Check out Charlotte Harbor, Pine Island, and Boca Grande - they are all areas where I fish.

You have to keep an eye on the wind and the weather as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 AM

418 posts, read 1,089,702 times
Great boating & fishing in this area. Here is a list of what can pull your line. Black drum,Cobia,Flounder, King mackerel, Mangrove snapper,Permit, Pompano,Redfish, Red Grouper,Sheepshead, Snook, Tarpon, Tripletail. Have fun and good luck.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 AM

From wha I understand snook fishing is a lot like bass fishing, so can I use some of the same lures? Rattletraps, Rogues, plastics, zara spooks?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
From wha I understand snook fishing is a lot like bass fishing, so can I use some of the same lures? Rattletraps, Rogues, plastics, zara spooks?

Sure, you can use all of that stuff, but shrimp work really well, also cut baits, lady fish, green backs, and other live bait. The other poster mentioned black drum. Under the bridge at bass inlet, from the shore (which enters one of the canals here) I have watched people catch two huge big black drum. These were both around 30+ inches and I couldn't guess their weight because I haven't caught one - YET! But I will. I've seen just about everything that swims in the canals as well. Huge cat fish, big drum, rays, dolphin, porpoise, tarpon, ladyfish, mullet, amber jacks, and some mackerel. I haven't seen an alligator or a manatee in the canals yet. Alligators don't like our canals because there is no place to bank and sun themselves. They are all concrete lined with retaining walls.

They tell me I can troll with my planner boards, but I think that will be tough because of the shallow depths here in the harbor.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM

Is the Black drum related to the Redfish?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Yes they are related...both are drums. I think bass fishing is actually pretty different. The top water part is similar but a bass will also just feel like you are dragging along the bottom and a snook will hit hard every time. Personally, I like reds and jacks for a good pull.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 AM

49 posts, read 94,403 times
So does this mean that I need to remove all the salmon flies from my tackle box?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte