Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 05:49 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times

Advertisements

Went out for a quick troll late this afternoon...within 5 minutes I had exactly what I'd come for, fighting on the line. A very nice upper slot snook. Battled him for about 5 minutes, got a good look at him when I got him close to the boat. As they will do, as soon as he saw me, he freaked and took my 20 lb braid for a long run. Obviously, my drag was not quite set right. As he got close to the mangroves, I screwed up and put my hand atop the reel in an effort to stop him. I so know better. That's what you get when you don't fish often enough to stay in rhythm. Lure hook came out and he won the battle. Trolled for another 90 minutes and caught only pine needles. This afternoons downpour got me good but at least the temps cooled down nicely. I suffered a little mechanical snafu and learned a valuable lesson at a low price. After battling the snook I was ready to get under way but had no steering. My wheel turned fine but the outboard wouldn't respond. I used my trolling motor to get back to the dock, where my neighbor helped my realize I was dangerously low on hydraulic steering fluid. Found the reservoir and filled it up. There was no leak but I guess it's normal to use this fluid and it can bleed through the line ports. If you never check it, it will eventually run out. Luckily I was very near shore. Those who know me know that's not always the case.

I off to San Diego tomorrow for a conference this week but will be back Thursday and chasing the snook again next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 11:58 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Must be nice to have hydraulic steering . I let my boat sit for a full month at my dock because of important projects that needed to be done. When we finally had a chance to use it I was telling everyone to cast off the dock lines....then I said WAIT! Let me check the steering first. Sure enough the steering cable was locked up solid from sitting. Took about 20 minutes to free it up but luckily we were still tied to the dock.

Years ago I backed out of my slip in Brigantine NJ, fast current, only to find my steering was locked....and when pressured the cable snapped. It was a big boat, and I had to use the anchor as a grappling hook to get back into the slip, a little at a time (tide took me waaay down current). Lesson learned. Check steering before untying.

Trolling motors are great insurance that most people will use more than Sea Tow. Without the wait.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 PM

114 posts, read 172,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Went out for a quick troll late this afternoon...within 5 minutes I had exactly what I'd come for, fighting on the line. A very nice upper slot snook. Battled him for about 5 minutes, got a good look at him when I got him close to the boat. As they will do, as soon as he saw me, he freaked and took my 20 lb braid for a long run. Obviously, my drag was not quite set right. As he got close to the mangroves, I screwed up and put my hand atop the reel in an effort to stop him. I so know better. That's what you get when you don't fish often enough to stay in rhythm. Lure hook came out and he won the battle. Trolled for another 90 minutes and caught only pine needles. This afternoons downpour got me good but at least the temps cooled down nicely. I suffered a little mechanical snafu and learned a valuable lesson at a low price. After battling the snook I was ready to get under way but had no steering. My wheel turned fine but the outboard wouldn't respond. I used my trolling motor to get back to the dock, where my neighbor helped my realize I was dangerously low on hydraulic steering fluid. Found the reservoir and filled it up. There was no leak but I guess it's normal to use this fluid and it can bleed through the line ports. If you never check it, it will eventually run out. Luckily I was very near shore. Those who know me know that's not always the case.

I off to San Diego tomorrow for a conference this week but will be back Thursday and chasing the snook again next week.
I am having a total Deja-Vu feeling reading his post. Did this happen today, or is this an old post?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
If you have so,e extra tackle and can show me and my son what to do..I'm game!
I have got tackle, but no real offshore fishing experience. I am also pNew to the Harbor, but have had modest success. At the very least, I had some nice meals, and and some great days on the water.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenyc View Post
I am having a total Deja-Vu feeling reading his post. Did this happen today, or is this an old post?
This happened last Saturday but you may have read the entire forum and recall I had a steering arm failure on a prior boat, back in 2008-09.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
This happened last Saturday but you may have read the entire forum and recall I had a steering arm failure on a prior boat, back in 2008-09.
I had to add fluid to my steering as well last time I ad the boat out.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you troll? Are you using more than 1 rod? Do you have spreaders? Ever do any trolling with bait?

I had a heck of a time trolling the beach at Boca Grande. I caught fish, but kept twisting up my lines as I have no spreaders.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:11 PM

230 posts, read 407,140 times
I troll all the time with 2 rods out. 1 with a lure and one with bait. I don't use spreaders as I am on my kayak, just have to be fast on the reel or spin the boat to keep the fish out of the other line.

Last edited by JollyOgre; 09-16-2014 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: CD wont let me say y a k.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 PM

54 posts, read 109,349 times
I will be down in early December for a week. How is the fishing than?

Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 PM

@Duke I have similar troubles trolling two, so I stick to one. Usually small plugs like the Rapalla Xrap or the Storm twitch stick. Sometimes I have luck on a gold spoon.

@harleydmn the fishing in December is terrific. We have the occasional cold front come through but the sun warms the morning nicely and you don't have to get out there as early. From now through March is my favorite fishing season. Sea trout, Redfish, Snook, Sheepshead and love the Pompanooooooooo. Many more but that's what I love here.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:55 PM

697 posts, read 1,169,473 times
So..we going out in October?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte