Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 04:13 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,755,916 times

Advertisements

Welcome aboard, Doug and thanks for the report. Keep them coming. I'm going to try my luck today, as well.
Torn between heading to that area or going to the beautiful water in Placida, where I've had great luck on Pompano this season. I do know, after last nights sheepshead dinner I am low on fillets. A man's gotta eat, so it's on the water I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 06:04 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,948,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
Howdy
Im new to the forum, but have been reading some of the fishing reports.
As I have been trying (with little success) at fishing around here, I thought I could at least register & chime in when I DO have luck......

Yesterday, north of Pirate Harbor on the flats, the trout were hit & miss with the DOA poppin/shrimp combo.
I'd get to certain spots, & get a hit almost every cast, then it was like all the fish left & I wouldnt get anything, I'd move, & drive around until I saw fish, then start throwing again.
Most trout I caught were small, around 12-14 inches.

Still, better than nothing

Doug
Welcome aboard Doug. Moving is the key - even 25 yds can be the difference between fishing and catching. Fishing for trout, I pin down, drop the trolling motor, fish for 10 minutes, and move if I don't get anything. When you find a school, they will almost all be about the same size - if you get a couple of 14 inchers, that's what's in the school; if you want them bigger, you'll have to move. I've had great success with the DOA deadly combo; try dabbing a little Pro Cure Gel on the shrimp; also, it comes with the shrimp set a little deep; it's designed to ride up on the pop, then flutter down, but if it isn't working, don't hesitate to knock 6 inches off the leader. Consider pinching down the barbs on the hook; trout die really easily; if you have to wrestle the hook out of a 12-incher, it'll never get any bigger, because it's going to croak. Also I think circle hooks are bad on trout - too hard to remove, and impossible if they swallow them (I just cut the leader in that case). With live shrimp I use a Mustad 37140, usually size 4. I've never hooked a trout anywhere but the lip with those, and because of the wide gap, they're very easy to remove.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:17 PM

Launched from Placida Park at about 10am. Such a nice day, I was surprised there were empty spots at the ramp. Tried my favorite Pompano hole on the incoming tide but no go today. Zipped down the ICW to Devilfish Key and caught lots of short trout in the 12-14" range on Deadly Combo corks rigged with both live shrimp and artificials. Both caught fish. Moved around a lot looking for the bigger ones. Found the short ones all around the island. Went to the West end of Bull Bay and finally landed a nice one at 16" and put him on ice. So funny how big the keepers seem after you catch a dozen short ones. Kept moving, kept catching but all shorts. Landed areal nice size sail cat and decided this would be the one I try the taste with. Fishin Frank says the saltwater, Gaff Topped, Sailcats are very good eating. Anyone have any prep and cooking suggestions for that? Not into breading and frying.

Moved back to Gasparilla Sound on the outgoing tide and looked for my Pompano but they were still somewhere else. Used the iPilot to set the boat over the top of the 32' hole in Little Gasparilla Pass and the bite was on. Caught and released dozens of Gag Grouper, which were too short even if they were in season, and dozens of mangrove snapper. Was catching on every cast and getting 2-3 fish on the same bait at times.
Caught my limit of mangrove snapper and then gave up the position to a family with kids, who were catching nothing 50 yards away.

Weather was absolutely perfect, all day. Great day on the water. Shot this on the way back to the ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  

Old 12-20-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Launched from Placida Park at about 10am. Such a nice day, I was surprised there were empty spots at the ramp. Tried my favorite Pompano hole on the incoming tide but no go today. Zipped down the ICW to Devilfish Key and caught lots of short trout in the 12-14" range on Deadly Combo corks rigged with both live shrimp and artificials. Both caught fish. Moved around a lot looking for the bigger ones. Found the short ones all around the island. Went to the West end of Bull Bay and finally landed a nice one at 16" and put him on ice. So funny how big the keepers seem after you catch a dozen short ones. Kept moving, kept catching but all shorts. Landed areal nice size sail cat and decided this would be the one I try the taste with. Fishin Frank says the saltwater, Gaff Topped, Sailcats are very good eating. Anyone have any prep and cooking suggestions for that? Not into breading and frying.

Moved back to Gasparilla Sound on the outgoing tide and looked for my Pompano but they were still somewhere else. Used the iPilot to set the boat over the top of the 32' hole in Little Gasparilla Pass and the bite was on. Caught and released dozens of Gag Grouper, which were too short even if they were in season, and dozens of mangrove snapper. Was catching on every cast and getting 2-3 fish on the same bait at times.
Caught my limit of mangrove snapper and then gave up the position to a family with kids, who were catching nothing 50 yards away.

Weather was absolutely perfect, all day. Great day on the water. Shot this on the way back to the ramp.
Nice report MA. I've tried sailcats fried and grilled, and they're not exactly what I would call good eating. They have kind of a grassy taste and soft texture that isn't particularly appealing. Maybe smoked? Maybe fish cakes? If somebody has a secret recipe, I'll try it, but otherwise, if I don't catch something else, I'll just have a hot dog.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 6,149 times
I havent tried down by placida yet, at least not on a boat, Ive fished the trestle & the 17th? st beach, with varying degrees of success. I recently joined a boat club, and they have a selection at a marina down that way, so I guess I need to give it a try

Thanks for the info

Doug

Old 12-21-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
I havent tried down by placida yet, at least not on a boat, Ive fished the trestle & the 17th? st beach, with varying degrees of success. I recently joined a boat club, and they have a selection at a marina down that way, so I guess I need to give it a try

Thanks for the info

Doug
The waters of Placida harbor and the Gasparilla Sound are separated by the many miles long Cape haze peninsula. This separation also puts Placita far away from the tannin stained water of Charlotte Harbor, fed by the peace River and the Myakka River. That distance, coupled with the white sandy bottom's near Placida, make for much bluer water. Although both areas have excellent fishing opportunities the distance from the boat ramp at Placita Park to the little Gasparilla pass and the Gulf of Mexico is no more than 10 minutes. A far cry from the hour or more ride it takes to get to the Boca Grande Pass from Port Charlotte or Punta Horda. This is why, even though I live on a canal with a lift, I value the use of my trailer so much. Save gas, save time, save money.

The intercoastal waterway from Placida to Stump Pass, Lemon Bay and Venice further north off a wonderful sightseeing opportunities (mansions to mangroves) for boaters of all kinds. One of my favorite apps on this route is Don Pedro state park. It's tucked away off of the intercoastal via a well hidden cut through the mangroves with a sign that is even better hidden in the trees. There are bayside boat slips here where you can tie up and self-pay two or three dollars to enjoy the park. The park features clean restrooms cabana covered tables and barbecue grills suitable for picnics. Out-of-town guests will marvel when you walk them two minutes up the path and they see the Gulf of Mexico. The downside for those coming from the waters of Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda is its a 90 minute ride each way and a whole lot of fuel burned.

Diverse boating opportunities such as this, added with Charlotte Harbor, the rivers, and points further south towards Matlacha and Sanibel make this area paradise found.

Here's a photo of Stump Pass:
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  

Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
The waters of Placida harbor and the Gasparilla Sound are separated by the many miles long Cape haze peninsula. This separation also puts Placita far away from the tannin stained water of Charlotte Harbor, fed by the peace River and the Myakka River. That distance, coupled with the white sandy bottom's near Placida, make for much bluer water. Although both areas have excellent fishing opportunities the distance from the boat ramp at Placita Park to the little Gasparilla pass and the Gulf of Mexico is no more than 10 minutes. A far cry from the hour or more ride it takes to get to the Boca Grande Pass from Port Charlotte or Punta Horda. This is why, even though I live on a canal with a lift, I value the use of my trailer so much. Save gas, save time, save money.

The intercoastal waterway from Placida to Stump Pass, Lemon Bay and Venice further north off a wonderful sightseeing opportunities (mansions to mangroves) for boaters of all kinds. One of my favorite apps on this route is Don Pedro state park. It's tucked away off of the intercoastal via a well hidden cut through the mangroves with a sign that is even better hidden in the trees. There are bayside boat slips here where you can tie up and self-pay two or three dollars to enjoy the park. The park features clean restrooms cabana covered tables and barbecue grills suitable for picnics. Out-of-town guests will marvel when you walk them two minutes up the path and they see the Gulf of Mexico. The downside for those coming from the waters of Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda is its a 90 minute ride each way and a whole lot of fuel burned.

Diverse boating opportunities such as this, added with Charlotte Harbor, the rivers, and points further south towards Matlacha and Sanibel make this area paradise found.

Here's a photo of Stump Pass:
2X on Don Pedro, MA. Thanks for showing me where it is.

The intracoastal is a spectacular resource, and like you described, one of the sources of the never ending debate on the right boat and the right location. We picked PGI for easy airport access, so a trailer next to the house is out, and my garage is too shallow. If I parked a trailer at a storage lot, getting the trailer becomes another expedition. I resigned myself to the compromise of a slightly bigger boat that can make good speed the the typical harbor chop, and a newer, fuel-efficient 4 stroke. I've thought about dry storage at Placida, but then I'd need another boat to putter around in the canals with the grandkids or take a quick cruise out to the harbor at sunset....never ending debate.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:37 AM

Merry Christmas, City Data anglers. I hope you get the gear or boat you wished for!
My trim tabs have been inoperable for a few weeks and I had time to trouble shoot them yesterday. I'm sure they are the original Bennett Trim Tabs that came with the boat 20 years ago. The hydraulic pump has been rusted and corroded over for a while and it got worse last year when the plastic cover broke and had to be discarded.

I called the manufacturer, a FL based company that has been making trim tabs for over 50 years. The connected me with a technician who was nice enough to teach me over the phone how to hot wire the pump and test the features.

I had to run up to Napa Auto to buy a hot wire. The last time I tried to do this trick for another project, I caught the wire on fire. I explained that to the Napa guy and he hooked me up with 10 gauge wire to prevent that. He even installed a clamp for me so I could directly connect to my cranking battery. $10 bucks and I was on my way.

The Bennett pump has a quick connect plug that made it easy to test the solenoids and pump motion but mine was dead. The full retail price is $368 but the tech encouraged me to shop online for discounts. I found them in the $250 range from several distributors and got one including shipping, with no tax, for $255.

Given the product comes with just a 5 year warranty, I thought getting 20 years out of my last one was quite the bargain.

I still want to buy a jack plate for my Mako Flats but my gut tells me to hold off until it's time to replace the 20 year old 115 outboard I'm still running. Also on my future wish list is a push pole but I can't believe the price of those things. Big Stiffy brand goes for $900 new, $300 used. There's a guy on Craigslist in St Pete who makes 18'ers out of an epoxy resin, with a crows foot on one end and a bullet point on the other, charging $175 for a new one. Wonder if it's any good.

Here's to you and yours this holiday season. Hope you get out of the house and on the water!

Old 12-24-2014, 10:31 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,795,727 times
Merry Christmas MA! Hope Santa brings all on your wish list!
can't wait to get down and do some fishing myself!

Old 12-25-2014, 11:35 AM

Took the kids out Christmas light cruising last night, got back, put the boat on the lift, started flushing the engine. After a minute the outlet water slowed to a trickle, then stopped. Uh-oh. Checked that the hose wasn't kinked, then turned the water off and took off the fitting. Inside the motor hose fitting was what used to be a fiddler crab. Needless to say, it didn't just fall out; extraction eventually required the removal of the fitting, 2 pairs of tweezers and a corkscrew MacGyvered out of wire. So, do like I will now do - either keep a sprayer on any hose end on the dock, or connect the ends together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte