Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
MA - I don't think I've seen any comments since you got the Key West 196. I'm looking for a house, will move next May. Was thinking of a little bigger boat, but the 196 would let me get out some places that a bigger boat wouldn't - and I assume the gas bills are now less painful. Are you comfortable outside the harbor with a couple of passengers aboard?
Really? Seems like I posted a ton on this thread since buying the 196. You can always go to my blog on blogspot too.

Anyways, I absolutely love the KW 196BR. For me it is the perfect hull for this area. Gas bills are relieved a bit, although I can't seem to stop going WOT on the final approach home, past the Charlotte Beach Complex.

I am learning to work the flats and enjoy it more than I ever thought I would. It's also a lot cheaper on fuel. I have been 5-6 miles off shore on nice days with 2 to 3 passengers plus me and the boat does great. I agree with BH though, Captain plus 1 or 2 is about all you want aboard if everyone has a rod in hand.

Gag grouper harvest opens up again Sept 15. I hope to bring some home this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
5 of us went out cruising Sunday. Put 70 miles on the boat. Anchored up at the Cayo Costa sandbar with about 40 other boats. Friends from MI got lots of cool shells to take home, and found one sea star. After the baby's nap and lunch, we grabbed some fuel and more beer, and headed out to the gulf and to the north of Gasparilla Island. Seas were 4-5 ft following, so not bad at all. Too rough to anchor in the gulf though. So we pulled up on the sandbar near the gasparilla causeway (one of our favorite places to hang out). Saw numerous dolphins pass by, and some young girls found two large lightning whelk shells (looks like the large conch shells in the keys). Made it the 23 miles back just before dark. Best part, NO engine problems! That's always something to celebrate!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM

Good report HH. Pics? We love pics!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Good report HH. Pics? We love pics!
I know, we are horrible about taking pics. Our guests took some, so I will hit them up.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,470 times
Thanks, MA. I tried the blog, but couldn't get a history list, and going back 1 page at a time got too painful.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM

700 posts, read 1,818,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Thanks, MA. I tried the blog, but couldn't get a history list, and going back 1 page at a time got too painful.
I'm there all the time.
Messing About in South Florida

Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM

I'm finally ready to go fishing tomorrow. Anyone else?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Finally got my first keeper Redfish. 26" long, 6 pounds alive, 1.92 pounds of fillets.
Tackle: 30lb braid with a 30 pound floro leader, 3/0 circle hook, free lined, no swivel.
Bait: huge hunk of cut pin fish.
Caught in Bull Bay, near Boca Grande Pass, on a falling tide.

The live shrimp available today was really slim pickens. I hit two bait shops between 7 and 730AM and no one had a delivery nor were they expecting deliveries after the storms and waves in the Gulf last night. I took 3 dozen of the smallest shrimp I've ever fished with, LOL. But it was enough.

I was catching and releasing handsize sheepshead and grunts, using a 1/0 hook, freelined with shrimp. Finally, after 3 hours of releasing babies I caught the biggest pin fish of my life. I cut him up to a huge hunk of meat and put it on a 3/0 circle hook. I left it on a 15 minutes soak and decided today wasn't going to be my day. The tide was going down and I had come through 1' of water to get to the 3' hole I anchored down in. I needed to go before I couldn't get out. I started putting my gear away and the corner of my eye saw my rod, pop...pop........pop....pop.

When I realized what it was, I sought devine intervention. "Oh God, please let me get him in the boat." With no net and no crew I just let him fight until he was wore out. When he rolled over at the side of the boat I used the lipping tool to get him landed. I measured him at 26" and dropped him in the live well. I kept him alive for the ride home so he'd still have nice color for the photos.

Sorry for the big story, but this was a big deal for me. We always remember our first.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-090811-006-large-.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-090811-010-large-.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-090811-012-large-.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-090811-003-large-.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-090811-005-large-.jpg  

Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 PM

700 posts, read 1,818,744 times
Saweet! Congrats! Nice story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Finally got my first keeper Redfish. 26" long, 6 pounds alive, 1.92 pounds of fillets.
Tackle: 30lb braid with a 30 pound floro leader, 3/0 circle hook, free lined, no swivel.
Bait: huge hunk of cut pin fish.
Caught in Bull Bay, near Boca Grande Pass, on a falling tide.

The live shrimp available today was really slim pickens. I hit two bait shops between 7 and 730AM and no one had a delivery nor were they expecting deliveries after the storms and waves in the Gulf last night. I took 3 dozen of the smallest shrimp I've ever fished with, LOL. But it was enough.

I was catching and releasing handsize sheepshead and grunts, using a 1/0 hook, freelined with shrimp. Finally, after 3 hours of releasing babies I caught the biggest pin fish of my life. I cut him up to a huge hunk of meat and put it on a 3/0 circle hook. I left it on a 15 minutes soak and decided today wasn't going to be my day. The tide was going down and I had come through 1' of water to get to the 3' hole I anchored down in. I needed to go before I couldn't get out. I started putting my gear away and the corner of my eye saw my rod, pop...pop........pop....pop.

When I realized what it was, I sought devine intervention. "Oh God, please let me get him in the boat." With no net and no crew I just let him fight until he was wore out. When he rolled over at the side of the boat I used the lipping tool to get him landed. I measured him at 26" and dropped him in the live well. I kept him alive for the ride home so he'd still have nice color for the photos.

Sorry for the big story, but this was a big deal for me. We always remember our first.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,470 times
Nice red, MA. Thanks for the story and the pix. It's 55 and raining here, so anything involving warm water, boats, and fish is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte