Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 PM

45 posts, read 174,153 times

Advertisements

Here is a partial list of horror stories I endured in Port Charlotte from 2002-2006. I have many more. What about you? In all fairness, nothing like this ever happened to me anywhere else in the state - only in the SW region...

1. My favorite true story of all: Was cursed at & flipped off until I cried while pushing my disabled car off the road at 41 & Forest Nelson. NJ tags with 60+ year-old woman in passenger seat laughing.

2. 70-year-old Bronx transplant grabbed my chest during a massage. Wanted to call the police but NY owner said ‘Oh my gowad, we caan’t have that koind of publicitay!’ Same client stalked me until I filed restraining order.

3. 92-year-old MI transplant (yes, 92) pulled my hand to his nether region during a massage yelling, ‘quick, it’s happening!’ then said ‘give me a tissue and get out you little *****’ when I refused. Client left present in linens. Same response from same owner.

Quit job.

4. So many stories of abuse as a rep for local garbage company (WM). My favorite? ‘You better watch your back! I have connections with the Joisey mafia and have whacked people for less than that!’. (Just told him we wouldn’t pick up his garbage until after he caught up on being 6 months late.)

Quit job.

You can't make this stuff up, folks!

Last edited by ex-floridian; 08-22-2006 at 11:21 PM..

Old 08-22-2006, 10:55 PM

Hmmm! On one hand you haven't exactly set yourself up as a credible poster, ex. On the other hand, your stories would explain a lot. I haven't experienced anything like this in Orlando.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
I'm really sorry for what you had to go through. No one deserves that kind of treatment.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:38 PM

Default Some men can be disrespectful

I'm a new poster to this forum but have been reading for some time. As a relatively attractive and somewhat younger female in the business world, I have experienced my share of poor treatment from older men. Yes, I have noticed a difference in attitudes toward women in this region of Florida as well. But I am not the type to act the victim as you seem to do, ex.

If your stories are true, you have been treated horribly, but you really want them to keep controlling you? You took control and got out of there. Now take the next step and let it go!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Thank you, Jammie and Saffron, for your support

And you are so right, Saff, I DO let those jerks control me somewhat. It's a sort of post-traumatic stress, 3 months after I left. A couple of days ago I just got the sudden urge to blow off some steam and make some of those idiots just a bit uncomfortable. I am NOT the type to hold on to anything for very long.

But I do think it's important to let people know what one person's experience was in that area. I saw a real, palpable disrespect of those men towards women. My husband who is the most easy-going person in the world noticed how mean they are, as well. Just know this, creepy old geezers -

WE WILL NOT TOLERATE YOUR BEHAVIOR ANY MORE!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:36 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-floridian View Post
A Just know this, creepy old geezers -

WE WILL NOT TOLERATE YOUR BEHAVIOR ANY MORE!
This has what to do with Florida?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 AM

IT HAS TO DO WITH SOUTHWEST FLORIDA BECAUSE IT IS GROUND CENTRAL FOR SO MANY CREEPY OLD GEEZERS!

If not, why have I not had any experiences - or heard of this many problems - outside of Southwest Florida?

It has to do with Florida because young women thinking of relocating there need to know what they're in for, especially if they decide to become massage therapists or nurses and have to touch these predators in a semi-nude situation.

Because it's important for fathers and husbands to hear how their daughters and wives will be treated when their cars break a clutch cable and they're pushing it off the road THEMSELVES...when everywhere else I've lived I've had HELP instead of ANGER!

LET ME GUESS, psOldTimer - ARE YOU ONE OF THEM????? DID I HIT SOMETHING CLOSE TO HOME WITH YOU???????????

Last edited by ex-floridian; 08-23-2006 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times
Gosh Ex...Speaking of my experience only, I was very attractive at one point and I never had any elder man come across that way in S. FL. Now, the younger ones with the higher testosterone levels, well...that's a different story . I'm truly sorry you had some bad personal experiences down here as no woman should have to endure this anywhere on the globe...glad you are happy & safe now.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:30 AM

You're right, lulu. I haven't heard this kind of mess from too many people, either. It has little to do with being attractive and more to do with the predatory behavior of a certain segment of the population. I've heard similar stories from other massage therapists, nursing staff. Nobody deserves it.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:43 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times
I think it has to do with the stigma the job carries...in some places in the world being a massage therapist has other side line jobs , if you know what I mean. But here in the U.S., it's an honest/hard working job like any other. Well, glad you're happier there... and knock 'em over the head if it happens again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte