Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 AM

51 posts, read 225,386 times

Advertisements

How would you compare Rotonda and North Port?
The pros and cons of each one and if you had to choose which one would you pick?
All opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by carlnasc; 02-09-2008 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 07:09 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times
I live in North Port, here's my comparison. I would choose North Port because North Port is a younger town and I just like it better.

North Port-
younger people
bigger in land area
less expensive, closer to shopping, etc
most of NP is not in a flood zone unless it right by the Mykkahatchee River
not likely to have city water and sewer unless you are in a deed restricted community
both cities are close to golf

Rotonda-
older people
lots of Canadians and Europeans (not that that's bad)
closer to beaches
mostly in a flood zone
confusing streets-ie Rotonda Blvd, St, Ln, Rd, Cir, etc. I get lost every time I go out there
more availability of city water and sewer
both cities are close to golf

Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 AM

363 posts, read 1,359,886 times
I live in Rotonda, and I have since 2004. I moved from Wellington which was a very kid friendly city. It was hard for the kids, but they have handled it well.

Rotonda is a round, yet confined residential area. Since it was a planned community, the growth started in one area and it has spread street to street since the early 1970's, originally as a retirement haven for Golf and Fishing. All of the sections were to have its own marina and golf course. I live in the last section to be populated, Pine Valley. It was supposed to be a complete circle all the way around, but environmentally friendly laws put a stop to the St. Andrews section where you would have direct Gulf of Mexico access via Coral Creek. That land was bought by the State of Florida and is now preserve/wetlands...

Since the area where I live dead ends now, I would say that this part of Rotonda is a quiet, safe place to raise kids, ride bikes, play in the woods, etc.

My Pros:

The schools are great here (Ainger MS, Vineland ES, Lemon Bay HS) are all A schools and not overcrowded or inundated with portables.

No commercial mix--all residential with very little multi-family to crowd schools.

Nice community playground, tennis courts and walking trail (off Blvd East)

The mix of residents go from old to young. The school buses have gotten much more crowded in the 4 years I have been here. There are several families on my street with 4 kids, 3 kids, 2 kids. No very young families, mostly in our 30-40's.

Prices in Rotonda are higher ($300-$500K range) than in North Port (the older sections are much cheaper, but the houses are not what buyers want these days). Higher prices help keep rentals to a minimum and a different kind of home buyer buys here. Not many foreclosures here because not as much speculation by investors. Most people LIVE here year round. Prices are heading lower due to the market...

Deed restrictions help keep the values up, they are not Nazi's but no parking on the lawn, no trucks or boats in driveways, no overgrown lawns.

Lots of Golf Courses, Marinas, Fishing Piers and Beaches within 10 minute drive.

New Home Depot very close by.. (not as much commercial growth as North Port/US 41)

My Negatives:

No sidewalks and the roads are quite narrow IMO

Annual assessments are $136/per lot (I have 2).

Flood insurance required on MOST lots, not all (I pay $500/yr)

Takes a long time to get to I-75 North and South, I work on Boca Grande, so this really is not bad since I rarely use I-75 but when I do, it is a pain...

Not in walking distance to restaurants, shops... Sometimes you just need to walk someplace!

I don't know much about North Port, I do know that there is not much crime in Rotonda, but it is a small residential town, compared with North Port being a very LARGE city with industrial, commercial and residential.

Know this about both areas -- drugs are the number one problem with our youth here. Charlotte County is the METHADONE capital of SW Florida. Marijuana grow houses in North Port/Lehigh Acres are a big problem with Cuban gangs setting up shop here out of Miami.

The problems are spreading and they look for areas where there are not a lot of houses close together, so that is why North Port and Lehigh (which are both large cities AREA wise--not population wise) are attractive.

Just do GOOGLE searches using the news tab. You learn a lot. Come down and visit!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:43 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post

Charlotte County is the METHADONE capital of SW Florida. Marijuana grow houses in North Port/Lehigh Acres are a big problem with Cuban gangs setting up shop here out of Miami.
Do you mean Methamphetamine (aka Meth Lab) capital?

In answer to the OP's question, I'd pick Rotonda over North Port. Rotonda is quiet, a little out of the way, and relatively safe. North Port has had some high profile kidnappings and murders, so I don't know how inclined I would be to encourage someone moving there at this time.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:16 PM

51 posts, read 225,386 times
Thumbs up Rotonda / North Port

Thanks for all the info and insight, I think SWFL has a great future despite of the current RE problems (that are national anyway). Hope it will help others that are researching this region as well, I will be there on the spring to check what the region has to offer.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,730 times
Northport has many aspects of the community, that IMHO you really don't want in the community. First of all it has a very large drug problem, from grow houses to meth labs. Secondly it has its own gang culture. Parts of Northport are nice, but if you dont live behind the gates of a private community, you might be living next to some rental/meth lab. I do alot of work in both areas and Rotunda is much nicer. Good luck to you.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 AM

66 posts, read 282,637 times
I just want to add that Rotonda is beautiful. It is very well maintained and the houses are lovely.

Northport is just another town.

We drove though these areas looking for our retirement destination quite a few time in recent years.

I'll add that if your not looking at retirement in the next 15 years or so I'd lean towards Northport.

Good luck.
Anne

Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 PM

80 posts, read 340,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Northport has many aspects of the community, that IMHO you really don't want in the community. First of all it has a very large drug problem, from grow houses to meth labs. Secondly it has its own gang culture. Parts of Northport are nice, but if you dont live behind the gates of a private community, you might be living next to some rental/meth lab. I do alot of work in both areas and Rotunda is much nicer. Good luck to you.
I disagree with your North Port remarks. The area is no worse then others with a similar demographic. Rotunda is great for retiring, that's about it. Just how many new stores have openned in the greater Rotunda area in the past few years? Now compare that tio North Port .... no contest, period!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:41 PM

774 posts, read 2,380,326 times
It's kind of hard to try to compare North Port to Rotonda. It's not like one is bad and one is good They're just different.

When my wife and I were looking to relocate, we absolutely ruled out anyplace even close to a flood zone. I have no idea how bad the whole insurance thing could get in years to come, especially if there are more big storms in the future.
Right now, in North Port, I'm paying $763 a year and I'm happy with that.

The other thing was I need to work so being close to I-75 is big.

North Port has both of those things going for it.

Mikey

Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,088 times
SOFLGAL, we missed a house for sale here in PC a few weeks ago. Am rather annoyed at how it was handled. We're still interested in buying another house, ( as long as it has comcast ) You may still have my idea description and other parameters? If so, please send me some listings. If not, email me and I'll send them to you again.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte