Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I hear people saying this all the time BUT my husband and I go to Caspersen a LOT. We have never encountered anything perverse on the beach. Mostly it has been families or older couples.

In the evening the chances of coming across that type of behavior is increased (they only come out at night?) We did see a few same sex couples but to be honest, they were not doing anything perverted except walking silly. Not a thing that I would turn my children away from.

Maybe there is a section of Caspersen that I haven't seen but I've never seen any of it going on.
There were just 17 men arrested for performing oral sex in public on each other and soliciting an undercover police officer for sex...... . If I were ever approached like that, there would be a dead guy on the beach. From nudists to sex acts in public..... ill go elsewhere thank you. No one wants to see 60 and 70 year olds laying nude on the beach like walrus waiting for high tide.

Caspersen has been known for this activity for many many years. The police have done repeated undercover stings out there. I use to photograph out there all the time, I probably wont go back. Think of the potential for a serious biological hazard on that beach....... that is a very real threat to anyone walking barefoot out there people. Small kids are always putting things in their mouths..... do you want your kids out there knowing there could be used condoms laying around.... Or body fluids in the sand...... maybe a needle or two buried in the sand just waiting for a towel to cover it up and then you plop down on it..... I dont need to see it happen to know I want no part of what goes on out there. They need to post law enforcement out there permanently. Problem is the city and county fight over who needs to patrol it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
I'd have to agree with the others. Most of the locals know about Caspersen. Here are some articles about it. I'm sure this isn't great publicity but it is what it is:

Nudists cause a stir at Caspersen Beach | HeraldTribune.com

Eric Ernst: Nude beach fight puts human nature on display | HeraldTribune.com

6 arrested for lewd acts at Caspersen Beach | HeraldTribune.com

Sexual activity at Caspersen | HeraldTribune.com

I like going to Nokomis Beach and on the way there you have Windflight Surf Shop. There's also Ollie's in Venice and they have skim, surf, boogie board stuff. Most Saturday's there a young guy out on Nokomis Beach named Javier and he's awesome with teaching the younger kids how to skim. My girls have learned a ton from him in the last year or so. I have pictures of the kids and him skimming in my profile.

One last note, the south end Boca Grande beach is great but the under tow can be somewhat strong. Just make sure you don't swim out too far.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:30 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
Boca is awesome ,from our home in Rotonda it is 15 minutes. there are also many access points as you go down the main road in 11th 9th and 7th street , the beach never gets crowded and is dog friendly. we have family here now and they went yesterday with our lady pit and they all loved it.
yes its $5 -you can buy a 30 visit pass for i think $67 if you are really gonna hit it hard.

stump pass also has some nice sheltered areas - it is more of a walk from the parking lot ($2 IIRC) to the beach so dont go too loaded.

you MUST do a beach at sunset - amazing

enjoy Rotonda :-)

Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,326 times
I'm not saying those things don't exist at Caspersen, just saying we have never seeen it. Probably because we usually go early in the day.

That Boca dog friendly beach sure sounds nice, Paw Park in Venice is usually really crowded.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,521 times
Default Boca Grande pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Boca is awesome ,from our home in Rotonda it is 15 minutes. there are also many access points as you go down the main road in 11th 9th and 7th street , the beach never gets crowded and is dog friendly. we have family here now and they went yesterday with our lady pit and they all loved it.
yes its $5 -you can buy a 30 visit pass for i think $67 if you are really gonna hit it hard.

stump pass also has some nice sheltered areas - it is more of a walk from the parking lot ($2 IIRC) to the beach so dont go too loaded.

you MUST do a beach at sunset - amazing

enjoy Rotonda :-)
Mr. and Mrs. Sunshine....do you know if there is a time limit on the 30 visit pass to Boca Grande? That sounds like a REALLY good deal!!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 AM

14 posts, read 29,214 times
mr&mrssunshine Thanks for the info we will be checking out the beaches in Boca. We can't wait to get to Rotonda!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
karen & bjim -no time limit you have 30 visits on a card....use as you like. IF the price is still current, it works out at 2.25 a trip

Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 PM

360 posts, read 1,908,867 times
A good thing about certain threads/topics is you learn some peoples views on things. Just because your personal beaches appear to have normal people on them does not mean that there aren't anyone with alternate lifestyles on them. I've never been to those alternative beaches you mention and seediness should never go on anywhere in public but just know that not everyone is "bad". With the views some here have about others I am so glad I have kept to myself since moving here to Florida.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Here's my personal view on that (I'm sure others may feel differently). I'm fine with alternative lifestyles, in fact, some of my closest friends are gay or lesbian. What I don't like is anything of this graphic nature happening in public. It's just not the place for this type of thing. I don't care if you're straight, gay, lesbian, black, white or purple. My views would be the same if it were straight couples engaging in these types of "activities". I think that people, especially people with kids, need to say away from that section of the beach until the city can clean things up. My personal views have nothing to do with sexual orientation but more having respect for your fellow beach-goer

Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn9875 View Post
"bendover beach"
LOL I just spit my coffee out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
They need to post law enforcement out there permanently. Problem is the city and county fight over who needs to patrol it .
In situations like that, I really would love to see local residents get together and police the areas themselves. Big bright spot lights, whistles, and radios to local authorities tend to curb that kind of activity quickly. Florida's verson of the minutemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Here's my personal view on that (I'm sure others may feel differently). I'm fine with alternative lifestyles, in fact, some of my closest friends are gay or lesbian. What I don't like is anything of this graphic nature happening in public. It's just not the place for this type of thing. I don't care if you're straight, gay, lesbian, black, white or purple. My views would be the same if it were straight couples engaging in these types of "activities". I think that people, especially people with kids, need to say away from that section of the beach until the city can clean things up. My personal views have nothing to do with sexual orientation but more having respect for your fellow beach-goer
Agreed. Live your life free, but live it responsibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte