U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,789 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me why vacant land in North Port and Port Charlotte is so cheap, My wife and i visited the area near Venice and she fell in love with it, and so I started looking for property and found these areas area super cheap for a lot, I am just going with the old adage of if it's too good to be true, than it probably is.....so any helpful info would be appreciated.....thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,830,844 times
Well, there could be a number of reasons. First, is lack of demand. Virtually no one is building due to the high housing inventory. Almost no investors are buying. So, the basic lack of demand is one reason you're seeing prices so low.

Another factor on specific lots are environmental issues such as Gopher Tortoises and Scrub Jay. If your lot has one of these it's nearly impossible to build.

The next factor you need to look into is elevation. If the lot needs a ton of fill dirt to bring it up to grade it can effect the pricing. Also the amount of trees on the lot. If it's heavily treed it will cost more to clear it.

Many of the lots in the North Port and Port Charlotte area are priced around $5k.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks, that info is very helpful.....since you are a agent do you deal directly with any of these areas?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 PM

also, what is the situation with wells, i believe i read a post from 2007 that said some things about wells being super expensive?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,830,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaddler View Post
Thanks, that info is very helpful.....since you are a agent do you deal directly with any of these areas?
I sell real estate in Charlotte, Sarasota and Manatee county's. I'm a SW FL native and know the area very well.

Most of the North Port area is on well and septic and some areas of Charlotte country are. I understand it's about $4k to have an entire well system installed.

I live in North Port and I'm on well and septic. I actually prefer it to city water. Once a month my well company comes out and checks the salt level for $35 and every 6 months they come out and scrub the well and change the R/O filters for $100. Both things my husband could do but I prefer to have it serviced. It cuts down on the nagging factor.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM

80 posts, read 327,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
It cuts down on the nagging factor.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,913,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I sell real estate in Charlotte, Sarasota and Manatee county's. I'm a SW FL native and know the area very well.

Most of the North Port area is on well and septic and some areas of Charlotte country are. I understand it's about $4k to have an entire well system installed.

I live in North Port and I'm on well and septic. I actually prefer it to city water. Once a month my well company comes out and checks the salt level for $35 and every 6 months they come out and scrub the well and change the R/O filters for $100. Both things my husband could do but I prefer to have it serviced. It cuts down on the nagging factor.
SoFLGal - if you don't mind me jumping in here...you have mentioned in other posts that you prefer being on a well and septic. May I ask why? Is it due to the cost or is it more the quality of the water? I haven't given up on my dream of eventually relocating to this area and I regularly check the real estate listings on your site as well as on others just to stay abreast of what is available and at what price. I wonder if there is any reason that I should give preference to a property on public water over a well or vice versa, so I'm curious to hear why you prefer the well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte