Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 PM

180 posts, read 450,439 times

Advertisements

After visiting PGI a number of times looking for a house, I've just about decided to buy a lot and have one built. I'm planning to have a house on the water (canal) and would be very interested in opinions regarding builders that I should consider.

I'd be equally interested in hearing about builders I should avoid. Thanks to everyone in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
I have heard a LOT of good reviews on D.M. Dean in North Port, I believe they build in North Port, Port Charlotte and PG but not sure about PG.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:00 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
I build luxury homes back in the Uk. i would start by looking around at homes in the similar range to what you wnat to build to get some names and ideas. Possibly conisder hiring an Architect or Project Manager to supervise the build if you a) have no experience or b) are not going to be checking regularly on site.

ask to meet the owner and to view recently built homes. you should get the right 'vibe' before deciding who to trust your project with. go look at model homes as well.

the key is doing lots of market research before deciding, and yes asking here is a good start.

incidentally if someone builds in PC and says they dont go to PG then they have too much work....and i would be amazed if anyone in these tough times can say that.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,730 times
Are you looking to build an architect-designed custom home or try to find a builder's model home to modify?

Most builders in the area can build anywhere in Charlotte or Sarasota County. There are model homes around where you can get a feel for their quality and workmanship.

If you're looking for semi-custom and want to see a model home, there are several between Punta Gorda and Venice. We have a model home in Rotonda West, and there are several other builders around us who build in the $200k + range.

Stay away from the builders whose prices are "too good to be true". Especially when building on the water, you want to make sure your home is built BEYOND "code minimum". There are huge differences in build quality among builders.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses, thus far. We're probably going to consider semi-custom and I'm very fortunate in that my wife is an architect and also a project manager for a large construction company.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Here are my suggestions:

First, Coastal Chic is a builder so I would consult/DM her. If nothing else to bounce ideas off of. She's a native Floridian and very knowledgeable about the area.

Next, if you're looking in the PG area you might want to check out Fero Construction, Arthur Rutenberg and Tim Towles. I've seen many homes that each has built and all clients who I have spoken with have been pleased with their product.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Default Thanks

SoFlGal....I was hoping to hear from you! We've looked at the 3 you mentioned and are in preliminary discussions with Rutenberg. We do intend to pursue at least a couple of others, as well.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:58 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
Any input at all on D.M. Dean? Reason I ask is we ALMOST built with them but then found the house we bought for a LOT less $$. Just kind of wondering if we would have made a good or bad decision in building.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:45 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
My boyfriend does remodeling in Punta Gorda Isles. He said many of the new homes being built in that area right now are by Arthur Rutenburg. They have a very good reputation. My sister-in-laws parents had a house built by them in Naples, FL and they love it. They were considering moving to this area and have another one built by them.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Any input at all on D.M. Dean? Reason I ask is we ALMOST built with them but then found the house we bought for a LOT less $$. Just kind of wondering if we would have made a good or bad decision in building.
Actually, I have a neighbor who worked for DM Dean, doing his grading work and I was going to ask him about them. He went out on his own here in NP and started an ATV repair shop but from what I can remember he thought highly of them.

I'll give him a call tonight to confirm this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte