U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 PM

100 posts, read 313,204 times

Advertisements

Hello All!!

So I've finally made the move down here to Florida. We're staying in a condo right now until we purchase a home. We will be living in Port Charlotte around Murdock. We are going to be looking for several different services and I would love to hear your recommendations for them.

What do you suggest for:

Dentists - Good, gentle doctor with fair pricing

Doctors - Looking for a female doctor in a general practice

Landscapers - I may need a few things done around the yard, nothing major. Looking for affordable!!

Handyman - I need someone to do a few odd jobs around the house and also may need someone to pick up some furniture that we will be purchasing, because we do not own a truck. Someone reliable & affordable!

Also interested in hearing about some local businesses. We will need a bank. We're looking for one that may have multiple locations, online banking, and free checking. Would also like to hear your thoughts on the best affordable restaurants in town. We like bar and grills, but we also like chinese (looking for good carry out), Italian, & Mexican.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:32 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,529,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerGirl101 View Post
Hello All!!

So I've finally made the move down here to Florida. We're staying in a condo right now until we purchase a home. We will be living in Port Charlotte around Murdock. We are going to be looking for several different services and I would love to hear your recommendations for them.

What do you suggest for:

Dentists - Good, gentle doctor with fair pricing

Doctors - Looking for a female doctor in a general practice

Landscapers - I may need a few things done around the yard, nothing major. Looking for affordable!!

Handyman - I need someone to do a few odd jobs around the house and also may need someone to pick up some furniture that we will be purchasing, because we do not own a truck. Someone reliable & affordable!

Also interested in hearing about some local businesses. We will need a bank. We're looking for one that may have multiple locations, online banking, and free checking. Would also like to hear your thoughts on the best affordable restaurants in town. We like bar and grills, but we also like chinese (looking for good carry out), Italian, & Mexican.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!!
I am also a Murdock resident...with emphasis on DOCK! We need good neighbors on our canal so if water is in your plans, let's talk more. (not a realtor but I know a GAL who is).

I'm looking for a new dentist too but I can tell you I do NOT recommend any of the Coast Dental offices. Big turn off when they became marketing agents trying to sell extra services on every visit. My friend hates them too.

I'm not crazy about my Dr. either, lol. Thankfully I don't need him often.

We are, however, pretty pleased with Regions bank on 41 & Forest Nelson. They have all that you seek.

I will give you our favorite little dive for Wings and that is Gatorz on 41. Service isn't the best but the wings definately are best in the County.
For a bargain, do dinners at Benedetos inside the Best Western on 41 and the Peace River in Punta Gorda.

I do my own handyman and landscape stuff but we had our house re-piped recently and were very pleased with the service, price and work of the Plumbing Dr. II owned by David Schumacher.

I recommend everyone everywhere get a good burglar alarm with monitoring service. ADT has a corner on the market and we are pleased with them.

Hope that helps. Welcome to Port Charlotte!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,818,643 times
#1) For a dentist I would say Dr. Hanson in Punta Gorda.

#2) Dr. Melody Burt in PC. I don't go to her I use Dr. Gross (who I really like) in North Port, however I've heard excellent things about her.

#3) Pete Savino with Hollywood Landscaping, 941-286-7675. He's done many jobs for me and is always top notch. Bills Lawn on this website is also an option. I haven't used him before but hes always been helpful on this website.

#4) Mike Rinck's Handyman and Repair, 941-628-3301. I absolutely adore him. He is knowledgeable on nearly everything and his prices are good. I use him on all my rental properties and many of my clients use him as well.

#5) On the bank. I have BofA but don't recommend them. I know many people who use Calusa Bank and are very happy. My husband has been with Charlotte State Bank for about 20 years and he's OK with them.

For Italian you might want to try Donato's in Port Charlotte or by far the best restaurant around is Café Romesco in North Port.

In Punta Gorda, I like Pies & Plates. It's a little sandwich shop.

Not sure for Chinese or Mexican. Haven't found a good place down this way. I know some people like Dean's in PG but I think they're awful.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 PM

3,178 posts, read 5,523,911 times

What do you suggest for:

Dentists - Good, gentle doctor with fair pricing We have been through 3 dentists in two years and finally found one we like. Complete Dental in front of Lowes. STAY AWAY from Venetian Dental!!! CROOKS!

Doctors - Looking for a female doctor in a general practice My wife likes Dr. Planer @ Millennium Physicians on Cochran

Landscapers - I may need a few things done around the yard, nothing major. Looking for affordable!! Can't help you here. So far we've done everything ourselves.

Handyman - I need someone to do a few odd jobs around the house and also may need someone to pick up some furniture that we will be purchasing, because we do not own a truck. Someone reliable & affordable! Take your pick. They're everywhere! I've never hired one though.

Also interested in hearing about some local businesses. We will need a bank. We're looking for one that may have multiple locations, online banking, and free checking. We switched from Chase to Wachovia when we moved here. There are NO Chase's around here. Wachovia is everywhere. Free checking, lots of ATM's, online banking, the usual.

Would also like to hear your thoughts on the best affordable restaurants in town. We like bar and grills, but we also like chinese (looking for good carry out), Italian, & Mexican. Goal Post is OK, Joe Cracker, Nav-A-Gator (15 min from Murdock, on the Peace River), Laishley Crab House, Peace River Seafood, Village Fish Market, Harpoon Harry's & the Captains Table, Portofino, Gatorz Bar & Grill. So many more. For Mexican, La Esperanza (strip mall next to Lowe's), and Deans on North 41 in Punta Gorda. VERY BEST pizza is a tiny carryout-only place on 41 just north of West Tarpon called Dino's Best Pizza. Awesome prices too!! We just had it tonight

Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 PM

100 posts, read 313,204 times
Thank you guys so much. You always have such excellent advice!! We have tried Gatorz already and the food was GREAT--love the big portions!! We also tried Marco's for pizza in North Port and that was really good! Is there a Marco's in Port Charlotte, as well? We love pizza!!

We'll definatly be checking into the people/places you recommend. We just placed a bid on a house and hopefully everything will come out alright *praying/wishing*. Love this area. It's so great to have everything close by.

What do you think about phone services/TV/Internet, etc? Any good deals?? Also we were wondering if there were any nice consignment shops around. There seem to be a lot of thrift stores (which is great), but when looking for clothes I prefer resale shops, instead Also looking for nice, used furniture. Do you know if there are any shabby chic or beach themed home decor shops in the area? We've already checked out Bealls and love the home decor there!

Your suggestions really help. I could try to find someone on my own, but recommendations are ALWAYS better!! Love the variety in this area!! Thanks for the help!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,925,505 times
The rates are so low now it doesn't really matter, but I always look for the bank with the best interest rates and no fees for services.

Every bank offers something different, depending on the amount of deposit and the individual's needs. Sure it's nice to walk into a bank and get personal service, where the tellers know your name, but that can quickly change.

I've been moving around a lot and Wachovia has been very convenient for me. It has a lot of locations in Port Charlotte. I know of at least 4. I also use the online billpay. So far I haven't had any problems (fingers crossed) I rarely walk into a bank, so it doesn't matter to me where it is, as long as there are no checking or ATM fees. I just press "cash back" when I buy groceries in Publix or Walmart with my card.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:18 AM

3,642 posts, read 6,697,830 times
try Englewood bank, they are a local community bank with GREAT service, and you get cookies and coffee when you go in.....when was the last time your bank manager called you honey and spent time playing with your dog ????

pete Savino as recommended by SFG does great landscaping

I am not agreat lover of Mexican food but La esperanza is good.
Italian -its a drive but Mamas in Englewood is SOOOO good

Old 04-21-2011, 04:39 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,529,689 times
For Port Charlotte pizza, right near Murdock, I love Doughboys. They recently moved from Toledo Blade, just east on 776 next to Napa Auto. Man, do they pile on the toppings....
They also have good sandwiches and Italian dishes.
Funny thing is...they're British. But they do pizza proud.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 AM

3,642 posts, read 6,697,830 times
hey us Brits can cook ya know...... :-)

Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 14,349,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
hey us Brits can cook ya know...... :-)
YES they can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte