Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 14,259 times

Advertisements

I have a new job that I'm starting in PC. Im from NY and have a young family. I want a safe area with good schools but I hear the schools in FL are not good. It also seems to be a lot of unsafe places in SWF. Im willing to commute 30 minutes but do not know if Sarasota is that close to PC. Can someone please give me direction. Im willing to pay up to 450k for a house and do not need to be on the water..although I would like to be within 15-20 minutes from the beach. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Safety,Good Schools, and the Beach..am I asking for too much? Thank you in advance! My company is on Tamiami Trail in PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:31 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davd7121 View Post
I have a new job that I'm starting in PC. Im from NY and have a young family. I want a safe area with good schools but I hear the schools in FL are not good. It also seems to be a lot of unsafe places in SWF. Im willing to commute 30 minutes but do not know if Sarasota is that close to PC. Can someone please give me direction. Im willing to pay up to 450k for a house and do not need to be on the water..although I would like to be within 15-20 minutes from the beach. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Safety,Good Schools, and the Beach..am I asking for too much? Thank you in advance! My company is on Tamiami Trail in PC.
Go over to the Sarasota/Bradenton Forum.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Where is your job (generally)? Port Charlotte covers a lot of territory. If you're job is located closer to I-75 then that would make traveling quicker. Where you're working would depend on where I would recommend living. You don't want the distance to be too far away. If you decide to live in Port Charlotte then you would be a good 35 minutes from any beach.

Here you can see how the schools in FL are rated: School Accountability Report ....
and if you go here: www.greatschools.com you can get different opinions on the various schools. I moved from Port Charlotte to North Port (just north of Port Charlotte) specifically for the school system. My children attended Pine View School in Osprey. It's the top rated school in FL and one of the top in the Nation. It's a public school that requires special testing for entrance and you must live in Sarasota county.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 AM

Default Soflo gal..

My job is around 4021 Tamiami Trail zip code 33949. My wife loves Sarasota..from what she reads..but I don't want to be more than 30-40 minutes from home. I don't know if sarasota is within that distance. Is north port a safe area? Thank you for the link to the schools. We are looking for a middle class area that is safe with great schools.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 AM

That area is right before the Punta Gorda bridge which is the almost the southern most point in Port Charlotte. You are looking at about 20 minutes from North Port and 40-45 minutes from Sarasota.

I live in North Port and have for over 10 years. The highest rated two elementary schools are Cranberry and Lamarque. Cranberry is actually one of the highest rated schools in Sarasota county. North Port high doesn't get the best ranking with the state. I found Toledo Blade in North Port to be awful. I pulled my youngest out of the school and started home schooling her. My oldest just graduated from Pine View School in Osprey. It's a terrific school but not for every kid. I home school my 13 and 6 year old and love it.

I like North Port but if I had my choice I would live in downtown Sarasota. I love the neighborhood, the schools are top in the district and it's close to the beach. This would be a haul from Port Charlotte though-nearly an hour drive.

Rivendell in Osprey is a nice community but that's about a 40 minute drive.

A closer alternative is Stoneybrook in Venice. It's about a 30 minute drive from that area of PC and it's about 15 minutes from the beaches. Venice is generally an older population with the average age being 68. Stoneybrook, however has many younger families. Stoneybrook is well with in your price range and has a Resort-Style Pool, Kids Splash Pool, State-of-the-Art Health Club, Onsite Activities Director, Four Lighted Tennis Courts, Basketball Court and In-Line Skating Rink, Two Sand Volleyball Courts, Multi-Purpose Sports Field, Great Location Convenient to I-75 & Jelks Preserve.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM

What are your thoughts on the schools in venice? Also is Venice considered safe? Thanks again for your response!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the schools in venice? Also is Venice considered safe? Thanks again for your response!

I attended the schools in Venice as a kid and so did my oldest daughter. We both thought that they were very good.

Here are some crime stats that I was able to pull up for Venice: Venice Community Info - crime statistics, demographics, and census data - Trulia.com

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

//www.city-data.com/city/Venice-Florida.html

CNN Money rated Venice one of the best places to live in 2008:
Best places to live 2008 - City details: Venice, FL - from MONEY Magazine

This year Siesta Key Beach was ranked the #1 beach by Dr Beach:
"Dr. Beach" Names Siesta Key Beach America's Best - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Dr-Beach-Names-Siesta-Key-prnews-3044792932.html?x=0&.v=1 - broken link) It's about 25 minutes away from Venice.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 10,196 times
Quote:
You will love Port Charlotte, quiet, safe, lots of things to do, close to beaches and the new airport is ten minutes away.
Many of the homes are on canals and lots are custom built with good prices. Try section 16

Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
there is always Palmer ranch !!! oops no sorry..........I think North Port would be a good fit from what I have seen and read about schools. also a younger demographic I do believe. not a bad journey straight up 41 or I guess in season you could loop round on 75

Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,649 times
davd7121, I see your posting was from last June......did you ever find a place, and.......WHERE did you end up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte