Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times

Advertisements

Let's remember there are always folks available and willing to rain on your parade. If they are so miserable, they should have high tailed it outta' there a long time ago to find Utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:59 PM

52 posts, read 110,224 times
We lived in North Port a few years back before the economy crashed. We aboslutely loved it there compared to Sarasota, but mainly because it is much less populated and seems to have a much younger population. We would have stayed there, but the commute to Sarasota was too much with the gas prices. I do understand that after the market crashed a lot of houses went into foreclosure and crime did pick up, but my impression that it was more theft and burglary on the unoccupied homes. My kids weren't in school yet when I lived down there, so I can't speak for the schools. I suppose the best I can recommend is to visit and rent before you buy anything. It really comes down to "to each their own". People LOVE Sarasota, but it's not really my cup of tea. If I could, I'd move back to North Port (assuming the crime isn't too bad now). I felt like it was a much more quiet and peaceful community. Sarasota is too congested for my liking, especially come winter when the snowbirds make their way down. Even without having children in school, I do understand that Sarasota has a better education system.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:35 AM

3 posts, read 13,268 times
You come to an anonymous blog to ask for advice and now are insulted?? That is NOT my intention so I apologize. Crime can and does occur everywhere. A child feels safe, who plays in his neighborhood park located in the midst of a drug and gang infested housing project. But that does not make it so. You asked where you should live and were given some good advice. Probably the best bit was suggesting Venice. The median age in 68 yrs and you will have to work hard to keep your kid's time occupied. In NP, they can just run in the hood, and will have a much better chance of falling in with the "wrong crowd". The conditions in North Port are RIPE for being infiltrated by criminal street gangs. It can easily become New Town south. I have seen this happen to small, safe suburbs where I used to work. The Police Departments become overwhelmed. And guess what? NP is NOT going to hire any more, any time soon. Few people will have either the candor or knowledge that I am imparting to you. I hope and pray that I am wrong but I see that the change is already underway.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:57 AM

490 posts, read 623,521 times
LOL, Dude are you sure you're talking about North Port, Florida? Where did the original poster say they were insulted? They've been nothing but thankful. It sounds like you are too scared to leave your house. Step away from the keyboard and go get some air.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,675 times
I've decided to not feed the troll.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 AM

490 posts, read 623,521 times
Hehe, OK I'm done feeding him/her too.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:34 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,140,812 times
i would trust what ever soflgal says. she is honest and to the point. she has helped a great many people here with the answers to their questions.

after owning our house here in englewood for a few years we moved here full time a little over a year ago. every one will try and tell you that where they live is the best, other wise they would live somewhere else. we live close enough to the beach to easily walk there. that was important to us. my boys are 14 and 15. one will be a freshmen and the other a sophmore at venice high. i am impressed with the schools, both venice middle and high. we heard all the horror stories about florida schools and they are probably true about some of the schools but sarasota county schools rank fairly high. both of my boys have a averages. they are playing football and have football camp over the summer to keep them busy. all the kids that they have met so far seem to be good kids. we have met some of the kids and their parents and all agree that they want their kids involved and out of trouble. there is certainly the opportunity to get in trouble, however i cant really say it is more or less than where we used to live. that area was quickly changing. all the kids were starting to dress like they just got out of prison. there was a lot of trouble in the high school.

as far as where to live. that would be a personal choice. some love sarasota, we go there when we need to and are glad to leave. reminds me to much of the ny/nj area. went to the farmers market on a saturday and people were pushing their dogs and cats around in strollers, sipping their lattes. not for me. i would rather live here cause its alot more relaxed, no one is out to impress anyone. my boys are fishing all the time. got them a little jon boat an oars and they will spend the day out on the intercoastal.

there are definetly some less than desireable places to live and i guess with housing prices dropping and as low as they are owners have turned to renting. in some cases that causes a problem with who might move in. if they are dirtballs and its not there house it could be an issue. my advice would come down and rent. save some money and check out where you want to live and then do everything you can to buy. prices should start to trickle on up in the next year or so.

any specific questions go ahead and ask or DM me

Old 06-27-2011, 02:12 PM

85 posts, read 191,404 times
Well put gettingoutojersey, whether your looking for the bad or the good in a place you will find it.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 15,088 times
Default fountains of north port

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug0626 View Post
No, that wouldn't work...LOL. But thank you for checking.
The Fountains of North Port is a big complex in North Port off Toledo Blade Blvd. It is billed as "resort living". It used to be called Riley Chase and was an income restricted/projects complex. For some reason they must of lost their income restricted status. There is a drug problem here, although it is mostly kept hidden, there is crime, robberies and thefts. A young man here was trying to force his way into single women's apts. Teenagers and young people roam the parking lot looking in peoples cars, presumably for things to steal after dark. The only thing this complex has done to improve it is to put up a couple plants and a small basketball area right in the parking lot. The rent has skyrocketted. The charge for water/sewer/dumpster is over $100 a month. They used to provide cable at a minimal fee and that has ceased. They rent out washer/dryers for $42 a month, these are stackables and the dryers take forever to dry. Figure the cost of buying your own. It used to be that pit bulls and other lg/potentially dangerous dogs were not allowed. They are everywhere now. If I could move from here I would. Don't recommend living here. Police are here alot.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,747 times
i HAVE A SIMLIAR PROBLEM, I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN SARASOTA BUT DUE TO A SEPERATION I HAVE TO MOVE TO NORTH PORT BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER, ALL 3 OF MY KIDS ATTEND SARASOTA SCHOOLS RIVERVIEW AND GULF GATE I WOULD NEVER PUT MY KIDS IN NORTH PORT SCHOOLS .... I NEED TO FIND TRANSPORTATION FROM SCHOOL TO HOME IN NORTH PORT ANY IDEAS PLS HELP!!! THANKS KIM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte