Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 AM

41 posts, read 111,662 times

Advertisements

We thought Punta Gorda Isles would be a great neighborhood for a home and have been looking at buying there.

However, we are seeing reports of crime in Punta Gorda Isles and are now very concerned.

Here is a link to one of a few articles reporting these rash of crimes.

All of the victims in this article are located in Punta Gorda Isles.
'Distraction burglaries' aim at Punta Gorda's elderly | HeraldTribune.com

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
It is sad, but this happens in almost every community there is. Whether it is in a gated community, non-gated, not so nice neighborhood, good neighborhood - there is crime all over. It can happen anywhere at any time. Punta Gorda Isles is not a high crime area. There are just a few incidences of some bad people who make poor decisions in life. Violent crimes are not common in this area. No need to worry about Punta Gorda Isles, it is pretty much a safe community. With the economy being so bad, people are resorting to crime who otherwise may not have done it. Just keep your eyes and ears open wherever you choose to live.

Crime rates by neighborhood: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:43 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
You will NEVER be 100% safe from ALL crime, even in the best, most protected gated community. We live in a world full of crime. Mostly petty crime thankfully. Florida is very well known for having criminals that prey on the elderly. It's a fact, and you just have to use common sense to not get taken advantage of. Sorry if I burst your protective bubble. I live across the river from PGI and know a few people that live in PGI. It is a great neighborhood with nice homes and well cared-for properties. I would bet that it's probably one of the safest areas in all of Charlotte County.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
I agree with the others, PGI is certainly not a "high crime area". Looks like it's someone who is looking to prey on the elderly and they just happen to choose PGI to target.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:38 AM

41 posts, read 111,662 times
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm trying to determine if property offenses like this in PGI are common or rare.

(Sorry about the "double post" . . . I wasn't sure under which area to post for Punta Gorda.)

Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
I would assume they are rare in PGI. For that matter, most any crime is rare in PGI. Like was said previously, the criminals probably targeted PGI because the population is generally a little older and the area is well kept and nice. This kind of thing could easily happen anywhere in any city or town. Hopefully they catch them before they swindle any others.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
crimes result from opportunity. criminals are lazy. thats why they are criminals.

they also are not stupid. they know the areas where they stand to get shot and avoid those houses.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
(Sorry about the "double post" . . . I wasn't sure under which area to post for Punta Gorda.)[/quote from Stepahno]

Yeah, Charlotte County needs its own forum. Some people post in Sarasota and others in Ft. Myers.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:31 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
i said this years ago when we first joined this forum. Charlotte County/Port Charlotte should have it's own forum! We started out on the Ft. Meyers one, but people over there are so NASTY!!! At least they were then. A number of regulars here now, e.g. Big House, HH, also jumped ship and post on this one now. It's nice here!!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephano View Post
(Sorry about the "double post" . . . I wasn't sure under which area to post for Punta Gorda.)
I posted my reply on the Ft. Meyers forum, I could repost it here if you wish. (Didn't know about Ft. Meyer forum's reputation before reading Mrs.Cool's comment today.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte