Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 PM

535 posts, read 1,031,796 times

Advertisements

I am looking on line at boats for sale and have noticed some say taxes paid and some taxes not paid. Does that mean the purchaser must pay the back taxes b4 registering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
As far as sales tax on the purchase of the vessel....I think if you buy used from an individual, no taxes are paid or owed. If you buy used via a broker, taxes are paid. If you buy new, taxes are paid.

This was how I remember it from a couple years ago, and laws might have changed since then. The taxes are typically paid directly to the broker/dealer at time of purchase and they pay the taxing authority directly.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:35 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Here is the link on boat taxes in Florida:

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

Old 02-09-2012, 05:42 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Rock Creek,

I didn't look at the link provided but I can tell you from experience...

1 - boat purchases in FL are subject to sales taxes, whether you purchase private party to private party or dealer. To register the boat, the county tax collector will have you pay sales tax according to the sales price listed on the title you present when you transfer title. (they will not question you on the amount...hint/hint)

2 - when online ads indicate sales tax not paid, that means the original US sales taxes have never been paid and must be paid if a US resident buys the boat and tries to register it in the US. This is substantially more money and is usually on applicable to boats purchased from foreign shores.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM

700 posts, read 1,819,215 times
Considering boats online, mainly Yachtwo.....com, There are a lot of misrepresented boats out there. I've been looking at diesel boats and you look at the pics, guess what. No diesel but gas.
Some brokers are great, some suk. Take their listing as a grain of salt. Many say perfect condition and when you show up, it looks like it has been under a salt shower for weeks.
Just my humble opinion.....

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM

535 posts, read 1,031,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
Considering boats online, mainly Yachtwo.....com, There are a lot of misrepresented boats out there. I've been looking at diesel boats and you look at the pics, guess what. No diesel but gas.
Some brokers are great, some suk. Take their listing as a grain of salt. Many say perfect condition and when you show up, it looks like it has been under a salt shower for weeks.
Just my humble opinion.....
One picture is worth a thousand words unless it's been "Potoshopped"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte