Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 8,142 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are a young family (23 yo parents w/ 2 year old daughter) who are wanting to relocate to florida sometime in a 2 year period (my husband has another two years on his marine contract, so not before then) and we are looking for a good area to be pointed toward. Its mostly me wanting to try it out (childhood dream to live somewhere warm and sunny). We are wanting a small town feel, Im not a fan of big developments compared to an old house with "character and charm". Id prefer my kids to be outside playing with the neighboorhood kids and to have neighborhood get togethers. That being said we also like to live within thirty minutes of a good local beach (thinking ormond by the sea feel no daytona beach but on the gulf side), thirty minutes to a bigger city where I can shop, go to movies, festivals, etc. I dont mind a mixture of older/retirees but Id like some younger people too. Id be looking to rent first until I can check out the area and buy a house eventually. Im not looking for big beachside house, more like decent sized for a family of 5 or so and >150k. I will eventually be looking to become a full time flight instructor and am willing to commute 30 or so minutes for a job. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
You may want to try North Port, FL. It is located in southern Sarasota County. It is a younger community than the surrounding cities. It has great schools and the homes would be within your price range. It is a good idea to rent before you buy, but I would also suggest coming down for a visit first. It is about 20-25 minutes to Venice or Englewood Beach. It is about 35-45 minutes to Sarasota for all kinds of activities. It is 10 minutes to Port Charlotte for a shopping mall. North Port has a lot of strip malls, restaurants, shopping, grocery, medical facilities, playgrounds, parks and more.

Check out these links
City of North Port Web site - www.cityofnorthport.com
Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home
North Port Chamber of Commerce - http://www.northportareachamber.com/
Closest Airports - Venice, Punta Gorda, Sarasota, Ft Myers

Last edited by TamRE; 02-27-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM

700 posts, read 1,818,969 times
Venice Municipal Airport is a nice sized General Aviation airport. There is a flight instruction facility there too. Punta Gorda has an airport also. They are now a controlled airport during certain hours as their control tower JUST opened a week or so ago. Not sure about General Av there though.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Job posted on Charlotte County Public Schools Web Site:
Embry Riddle Aeronautical Instructor JOB DESCRIPTION: DO NOT APPLY ONLINE: Contact Karen Candiani, Embry-Riddle Aerospace Institute @ Charlotte County; Telephone: (941)255-7500, ext 280. Applicant would be an employee of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) Aerospace University. Seeking a high school dual enrollment instructor for the AY 2012-2013. Instructor with aviation experience to teach our introductory aviation and aerospace course. Candidates require a Bachelor's degree or higher.Aviation experience necessary includin but not limited to: Pilot, Airframe and Power Plant (A & P), Mechanic, Air Traffic Control (ATC), Engineer. Please send resume to Karen.Candiani@erau.edu. Call 941-255-7500, ext. 280 for more information. DO NOT APPLY ON LINE

Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
If you don't mind a drive, North Port, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte (all these areas would work for you.) Punta Gorda has a small airport which they are expanding and growing, and is equal distance to both Sarasota and Ft. Myers - two larger airports. All areas have more elderly communities, but younger people have been moving in since the big foreclosure problem has pushed housing prices down and made them more affordable. You should come down and check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte