Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1947 View Post
To ISLAND HOPPER.....I aswered the previous post without reading your reply. We basically say the same thing. Also, the Amazon pool co. are using Helicol panels. I believe Popa Pools use them as well. I like the idea that you can replace indivdual tubes and that they allow your roof to breath because they are not solid panels.
Yes, Popa uses Helicol exclusively (they built my pool and installed the solar). My 7-panel system was around $2,500 I believe, as part of the pool package. Advanced Solar (Ft Myers) wanted around $3,500 to install Fafco panels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM

397 posts, read 813,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Yes, Popa uses Helicol exclusively (they built my pool and installed the solar). My 7-panel system was around $2,500 I believe, as part of the pool package. Advanced Solar (Ft Myers) wanted around $3,500 to install Fafco panels.

Did they use 7-10footers or 7 12 footers ??? I think that is about the same price we were quoted. I forget, I'll call tomorrow

PS..........HELIOCOL

Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
my last house had tile roof and solar heat it was no problem installed by tropical. the heat pamnels consisted of small black hoses lightweight although in the cold winter it wasnt hot but i like to leave the 100 degree hot tub and cool off in the pool

Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1947 View Post
Solar panels are cheaper than a heat pump initially. And, once they are installed, they cost nothing to operate.
I think they are the only two options. Not including a gas heater which would cost an arm and a leg to operate.

The advantage to a heat pump (which cost $ everytime you turn it on) is you probably can heat your pool better in the middle of the winter. I don't have much desire to go swimming when it is in the 70s, no matter what the water temp. is.

I'm no expert, I'm just giving my opinion
I agree,we have an electric heatpump but its too damn cold to swim in Dec-Jan so I dont run the heater anyway . I'm getting ready to build a new house with a new pool and I am going to do it exactly the same way as the present one 1)saltwater2)electric heatpump3)therapy-jet bench inside the pool. Love them all!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum wannabe View Post
I agree,we have an electric heatpump but its too damn cold to swim in Dec-Jan so I dont run the heater anyway . I'm getting ready to build a new house with a new pool and I am going to do it exactly the same way as the present one 1)saltwater2)electric heatpump3)therapy-jet bench inside the pool. Love them all!
Don't forget a couple of deck jets! Little streamers on the deck that arch water into the pool. My son LOVES them! Pool builder tried talking me out of them saying we'd never use them, but alas, we do! Worth the $150 for two. We have a salt pool and LOVE it!! Very low maint and rarely have to put any liquid chlorine in (once or twice in the summer if we get a LOT of rain)

Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM

397 posts, read 813,562 times
I made up my mind. Having solar panels installed Tues. We are having six 12Ft. Heliocol panels installed. After much reading, I have decided they are best. We went with 6-12s instead of 7-10s because of fit constraints. We are only losing 24sq.. Later if we find it's not getting the job done, we'll add one 10ft to the line. I think it will work fine because our pool is only 5ft on the deep end.

$2550.00 installed

Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Do any of you with pools have a hot tub as well? Either in the pool or next to it? We LOVE our hot tub, but we're wondering if we'd ever use one once we get to Florida.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Do any of you with pools have a hot tub as well? Either in the pool or next to it? We LOVE our hot tub, but we're wondering if we'd ever use one once we get to Florida.
I had one up North, and use to sit out in it when it was snowing, and at night in the winter. Down here I don't think I'd use it. I have a pool, and heat it to 85 in the winter. I have a pool heater, and it probably costs me $85 a month when in use.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I had one up North, and use to sit out in it when it was snowing, and at night in the winter. Down here I don't think I'd use it. I have a pool, and heat it to 85 in the winter. I have a pool heater, and it probably costs me $85 a month when in use.
So right BH, the hot tub is great at night under the stars when it's really cold out, you hair freezes to the side and your beer stays cold

Old 03-10-2012, 12:56 PM

531 posts, read 1,161,750 times
Default Hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
So right BH, the hot tub is great at night under the stars when it's really cold out, you hair freezes to the side and your beer stays cold
The WINE stays cold too! We have our hot tub in a gazebo, and while it's great getting INTO the tub, getting out and getting the top back on and that doors shut, and that lonnnnng walk (about 20 feet) BACK to the house again, almost make it not worth it?? Hmmm.......still not sure whether or not to put one in at our new house too........lots of planning to do, huh Jill? WE LOVE IT!! We've built two houses, and while THIS house.....circa 1864 has been wonderful......a new house will be super once again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte