Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 PM

397 posts, read 813,732 times

Advertisements

We are going to hire someone to install solar panels in the immediate future.

Does anyone have any experiences with installers....good or bad ??????

We would like to get 3 estimates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1947 View Post
We are going to hire someone to install solar panels in the immediate future.

Does anyone have any experiences with installers....good or bad ??????

We would like to get 3 estimates.
I'm not sure if they do it, but I use Hughes Pool service. They do a great job doing all my work. I don't have a solar heater. I have a heat pump. It works great. It stopped twice, but the manufacturer sent someone out right away and repaired it on the spot - no cost to me. It was a Summit, which was bought out by Hayward.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 AM

I had AMAZON POOLS come out yesterday to give an estimate.
Has anyone had any experience with them???

Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Never heard of Amazon. For the "good" quality panels, all estimates should be within a couple hundred bucks of each other. Most of the money is spent on the panels themselves, since there is very little labor involved. Depending on your setup, it will only take 2-3 hours total. Find out what brand of panels they are quoting and research those brands. You'll find most companies use Helicol and Fafco. Both are reputable. We went with Helicol and are very happy. Pool is 89 right now. I just shut the solar off to cool it down a bit.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:06 PM

93 posts, read 192,257 times
Could I ask how you came to decide to do solar as opposed to the other options? We have an unseated pool and are just starting to look into all the heating options. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Most people decide on Solar because they don't want the electric bills associated with running a heat heat pump. The up-front cost is also slightly less than electric (depending on how many panels you need for your pool size). The drawback of solar is that you may not be swimming Dec-Feb is it's a chilly winter, depending on how warm you like the water. With electric, that is not a concern. It will still heat the pool when it's 50 degrees out, but of course it will cost you $$$.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletyguy View Post
Could I ask how you came to decide to do solar as opposed to the other options? We have an unseated pool and are just starting to look into all the heating options. Thanks in advance!
Solar panels are cheaper than a heat pump initially. And, once they are installed, they cost nothing to operate.
I think they are the only two options. Not including a gas heater which would cost an arm and a leg to operate.

The advantage to a heat pump (which cost $ everytime you turn it on) is you probably can heat your pool better in the middle of the winter. I don't have much desire to go swimming when it is in the 70s, no matter what the water temp. is.

I'm no expert, I'm just giving my opinion

Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 AM

To ISLAND HOPPER.....I aswered the previous post without reading your reply. We basically say the same thing. Also, the Amazon pool co. are using Helicol panels. I believe Popa Pools use them as well. I like the idea that you can replace indivdual tubes and that they allow your roof to breath because they are not solid panels.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 AM

93 posts, read 192,257 times
Thanks for the input!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:55 AM

The one thing I forgot to mention, if I had a tile roof, then I would stay away from solar panels. I would then go with the heat pump.

If you have a tile roof, then you can probably afford the electric bill........LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte