Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 AM

188 posts, read 332,012 times

Advertisements

Hi All, First time poster, long time reader.
My husband has an opportunity to transfer to Florida, specifically working in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. I work from home and can take my job with me so employment is not an issue (fortunatley!!!) for us. We love the idea of getting out of snowy winters and being closer to his brother who lives in Palm Bay, Fl. What I am concerned about is moving to what seems like a horribly depressed area (low jobs, high forclosure, high crime and drug use, low quality schools) according to everything I've read. Having said that, I'd still like to learn more about the area to see if it's someplace we could fit in. Is it as bad as it sounds?

We are in our 40s and have 2 toddlers heading to school in 2013 so we'd be interested in an area with good schools. We currently live in a very family-friendly, low crime, middle to upper-middle class suburb with newer homes and love it here. It has seen it's share of foreclosed homes too, but most seem to be occupied again. Something similar would be ideal. We intend to rent at first.

What cities/areas can you recommend that sound a little something like what I've described and what price range should I expect to rent a home for there (3br/2ba min)? It seems like fenced yards are hard to come by around there, but we'd prefer it if we could find an area that allows them for our children and 2 doxies (I'm nervous about all the water/canals around).

Not knowing the amount of traffic in the area, how far is too far away to live with a reasonable commute. Sarasota? Bradenton? I should mention, my husband has a home office, but services different stores around the area he's assigned (Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda and surrounding) so the "commute" would be different every day of the week. Being near the beach isn't really a factor for us. Schools, housing, safety, community and standard of living matter most to us.

Sorry if I sound like a Debbie-downer. Just wanting to learn as much as I can before we pursue this opportunity any further.

Thanks in advance for your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 01:26 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
There are some really nice communities in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. Are you looking to live in a deed-restricted community with amenties? If so, what type of amenities - golf, pool, fitness, playground, club house, etc? What is your price range?

Deed Restricted communities with HOA fees
Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte - Seminole Lakes, Creekside, Suncoast Lakes, River Club, Punta Gorda Isles, Burnt Store Meadows, Riverwood, Rotonda West

North Port - Sabal Trace, Lakeside Plantation, Charleston Park, Cedar Grove, Bobcat Trail, Heron Creek, Talon Bay

There are also some really decent areas in Charlotte County that are not deed restricted. There are 3 bed 2 bath homes with fenced in yards and some with pools. It is a nice place to live if you have a job. There are so many activities to get involved in for kids. There are a lot of parks, the Y, sports and more. I live in Port Charlotte and this entire area is NOT a high crime area. You find crime and drugs in any city, but it is more prevalent in the larger cities, not as much here. The number of foreclosures has gone down. Homes are selling and prices are going up. I like Charlotte County because it is not as congested and it is convenient to go to Sarasota or Ft Myers for larger museums and attractions. Port Charlotte is 35 minutes to Englewood beach. It has a mall, lots of restaurants, grocery stores, golf courses, parks, and just about any type of store you would need. Very convenient to everything.

Charlotte County and Sarasota County are both "A" rated school districts. I worked in both school districts and like them both about the same. I was a teacher in NY state before moving here. There are some schools that are better than others. If you go to the school web sites you can see how they are rated.

Charlotte County Schools - Charlotte County Public Schools Home Page
Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home

You really need to take a trip down here and visit the area to see for yourself what it is like.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:13 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am not opposed to a deed restricted area at all. In fact, I kind of like that it sets a standard in an area that all have to stick by. However, I've read many don't allow fencing and we have 2 doggies. If it weren't for that, I would probably lean more toward a deeded area to have a pool, playground, walking/bicycling trails etc. for my family.

Price range is hard to pinpoint right now. My hubby will be speaking to those in charge this weekend. Housing prices on the MLS seem pretty low. What does $125k to $200k get you area wise? And renting... would $1300-1800 range suffice for a newer (like 2000 or newer), good schools, safe area? Please give me a realistic range if I'm way off! I feel like I'm asking for the moon, but we kind of have the moon here if it weren't for the snow.

We'll be in Orlando at the end of April. Will have to see if we can take some time away from Mickey and Friends to visit. In the meantime, I appreciate all the feedback you can give me. Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 AM

You can definitely get a nice home in the range up to $200k.

Here is a list of some homes in that price range that do have a fenced in yard already and some have a pool.
Area too depressed to relocate?-fenced-homes.jpg

Old 03-24-2012, 11:32 AM

I just showed some homes in River Club in Port Charlotte today. They have a pool and club house in the community. They have some nice newer homes for sale and they do allow the steel/aluminum type fences.

River Club Homeowner Association web site - Riverclub of Port Charlotte - Home Page

Here are some of the homes currently for sale in the MLS:
Area too depressed to relocate?-river-club-homes.jpg

Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
We live in Punta Gorda Isles. I have a low 4' fence in my back yard. I would install an electric underground fence if I didn't already have that - they work great and are pretty in expensive. We have very low crime here. The canals are concrete lined, so we don't have alligators or creatures like that - they just can't get out so they don't bother coming in here.

I think if you do check out Punta Gorda Isle, you should check out the Punta Gorda Civic Association and join it. You'll make friends fast, and find things going on that interest you - no matter what you like to do. We don't have HOA fees, but we do have some restrictions (like you can't park your boat or RV or Trailer on your property - other than that I don't recognize anything you can't do, but I'm sure there are some things.

Its a nice small town, and after living here a couple years - I'm starting to know everyone.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 PM

Thanks Big House. Aren't we too young for Punta Gorda? We're in our 40s with two 4 year olds. We have LOTS of years ahead before we can call ourselves retired. I kind of thought PG/PGI was more for retirees.

Actually, I really like the idea of a 4 foot fence. Weiner dogs are way too short to get over a fence. Even a short one.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
No, you are certainly not too young for PGI. There are a lot of younger people there. We are mid-30s with a two year old. We love PGI, but found a steal of a deal on a Port Charlotte waterway a few years ago, otherwise we would probably be neighbors of Big House in PGI :-)

Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native2UT View Post
Thanks Big House. Aren't we too young for Punta Gorda? We're in our 40s with two 4 year olds. We have LOTS of years ahead before we can call ourselves retired. I kind of thought PG/PGI was more for retirees.

Actually, I really like the idea of a 4 foot fence. Weiner dogs are way too short to get over a fence. Even a short one.
No you're not too young. There are plenty of older people here - if that doesn't bother you, they will be happy to see you and your kids here. PGI has had a lot of turn-over in recent years, and that trend continues - more people are moving in that are younger. Of course, during snow bird season the number of older retirees grows - but that happens all over SWFL. There are a lot of young people out and about all day and night. My kids come down each year - 21-24, and they love it here. There is so much to do, you won't give it a second thought after you find the home you like.

The neighborhoods are beautiful, and peaceful, the canals provide a great amount of activity, fishing, bird watching, sometimes you'll see dolphins come in, fish jumping all the time. The landscaping here is fantastically beautiful. The beach (of which you have choices) is a bit of a drive. But most places you'll find affordable are 20-30 minutes away anyway - we're 30-35 minutes away. I bike all the time, kayak, swim, fish, go to parks (and there are some really great ones for kids here in PGI! - there you'll meet a lot of other people that have kids their ages).

PG is a nice small town. All the fast food joints are outside of town (they aren't allowed in). The restaurants are all good, and vary quite a bit. The restaurants and bars all have live music at night, and they have bands play on Thursday nights for free at Gilchrist park, which overlooks the water and has some fun play grounds, tennis courts, basketball courts and pavilions to picnic. There are also some nice dog parks in town as well. People walk their dogs all the time.

In the summer, make sure your dog can get on the grass - the concrete can get extremely hot - it will burn your feet. If you get a lanai, make sure it has cool-crete - it does not get hot. Other than that - they will be fine here.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Native - you'd be younger, but certainly not too young for PGI. We just moved in December, and it is the nicest place we've ever lived; I don't think you could find friendlier people anywhere. We're 60, and are about mid-range on our street. It's a nice, small town, but there's a lot to do; the sidewalks do roll up a little earlier than most places we've lived. It's quiet in the summer, just like anyplace in Florida (we lived in Clearwater for 5 yrs). If you don't want a house on the water, that will limit your choices in PGI itself, although they will be less expensive; we looked only on the water, so I'm not sure what prices are - closer to 300 is probably more likely than 200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte