Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM

180 posts, read 450,185 times

Advertisements

I have a nice lot in PGI that includes a set of heavy duty davits (with an electric motor that I doubt is any good). It seems like they would be worth something (more than the scrap price).

Does anybody know what they might be worth? They must have been expensive when new and, if they were all hooked up, I'll bet they would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
Hey Chucky, you may want to cruise craigslist dot org and see what others are bringing. If you post a pic here, you may get some good feedback.
They are still used here if they are what I'm thinking they are.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
I have a nice lot in PGI that includes a set of heavy duty davits (with an electric motor that I doubt is any good). It seems like they would be worth something (more than the scrap price).

Does anybody know what they might be worth? They must have been expensive when new and, if they were all hooked up, I'll bet they would be great. Thank you!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
I bought a pair to replace mine for $300 for the pair

Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
They were on craigiist by the way

Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
The most I've ever heard of anyone paying for used electric davits (in working condition) is $400/pr, or $100-200 for a single. The lighter duty ones of course go for less. I'd like to find a light duty hand crank one for a dinghy. Or maybe I'll just build a roller ramp.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM

180 posts, read 450,185 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks to one and all!! I checked Craigslist a couple of times lately and was surprised that there weren't a bunch of them llisted. It seems like there are a lot around..... PC, especially.

I, too, wish they were the manual, hand-crank type. I can see where they would be quite useful for a kayak or something like that.

As it is, I think they may be kind of an 'eye sore' for the neighbors so I have no interest in trying to refurbish them or spend any money on them.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I'd like to find a light duty hand crank one for a dinghy. Or maybe I'll just build a roller ramp.
I was looking for a hand crank one last month and put a "wanted" listing on craigslist. I had about 5 people email me, all withing the 100-300 range (some hand, some electric). I ended up making a ramp instead before I got the offers.

To the original poster, you will get more $ and an easier sale if you take them down first yourself, after taking pics. Most for sale "must be removed by buyer" which can be a PITA and many of them are given away free just because the homeowner wants them gone without having to remove them. If I was looking to buy I want them in the driveway ready to go into my trailer if I were paying the usual $300ish.

Those motors always go bad but are normally easy to fix. Should not effect sale price too much.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I was looking for a hand crank one last month and put a "wanted" listing on craigslist. I had about 5 people email me, all withing the 100-300 range (some hand, some electric). I ended up making a ramp instead before I got the offers.
Got a pic of your ramp? I have several ideas/options for mine, but it would be great to see how yours turned out! Simplest idea I had would just be poly rollers staked to the ground (rip rap seawall), with a hand crank at the top of the embankment, and a stairway alongside for boarding/deboarding. But, during the summer high tides, I would have to crank the thing all the way up to the top.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Got a pic of your ramp?
I don't have pics yet, not that proud of it .

My original design was to build a 16'x8' rectangle out of 2x10's, then add a few cross-members and diagonal braces with more 2x10's. Similar to how a deck is made, without the decking. Then, with the help of a few strong friends carry that "pre-made ramp frame" to the final location, level and slope it with concrete blocks and when it was in it's desired angle and height bolt it to 4x4's driven 3 feet down. All it needs then is rails or rollers, or in my case flat bunks. ....... If you have a rip rap seawall (or even a concrete seawall) this would probably be the way I'd go.

Well, that was my plan. Uneven and really rock ground made me scrap that $300 idea for a $50 one..."if i ain't gonna do it right, then i'll do it cheap!"

I ended up laying 3 upright 2x6x8's in the freshly leveled ground at three different height levels parallel to the water line. The first one near the water, second one 5 feet higher up and third another 5 feet up the bank. Then I drove beveled 2x4s into the ground by each "cross member" and screwed them together...just to stop movement, not really weight support.

Then I slapped on 16 foot 2x8's that were left over from my dock build across the top at the same width of my boat's pontoons. They hang over the frame in each direction a little.

So, calling it a ramp is like calling a go-kart a sports car, but it gets the job done for now.

I was able to dig further up the bank a little easier, so I used my post hole digger to sink a 4x4 down over 3 feet. I mounted a trailer winch I had laying around to this at a high enough point so it "lifts" the boat as it pulls rather than pulling it against the ramp slope. When adding your winch post put it far enough back so you can get the boat off the top of the ramp in some way...and throw another boat on....cause it would be tough to move that post later.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 AM

413 posts, read 827,876 times
Sorry I do not have any pictures, but I made one that hung on the seawall to launch my craigcat. Made it from pvc pipe worked out fine used a trailer winch on it. The pvc was slick enough that I did not need rollers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte