Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM

9 posts, read 27,629 times

Advertisements

Hello and thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to help us.

We are relocating to the Punta Gorda area and have found housing a little limited.

We are looking for gulf access so a canal home is a requirement as well as a large a home we can find that is not in need of significant updating.

We really like PGI however, we are finding very overpriced homes that have rarely been updated from when it was originally built.

We are looking for help from you all regarding Port Charlotte. We are from deed restricted communities and like the uniform look and values that deed restrictions generally bring.

Where is Port Charlotte can we find this? South Gulf Cove says they are deed restricted but it sure seems very undeveloped with many distressed properties.

What is the Ohare area of Port Charlotte like? What is the best areas to look in and what are the worst areas to stay away from.

Thanks again.
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
south gulf cove is over the bridge and quite remote from PC. If you want deed restricted then one of the Rotonda divisions might work but no gulf access -although there are marinas real close.

I just had this same converstaion this week with my wifes uncle...pay more for the access or save and spend it on marina fees...and still be in pocket

it would depend on your budget

Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Burnt Store Isles in Punta Gorda is also deed restricted I beleive.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
It depends on your price range. Here are some areas with gulf access homes.

Punta Gorda Isles - Civic Association has info and photos. - http://www.pgica.org/ - It is a large waterfront community in Punta Gorda. Canals are 100 feet wide and 12 feet deep and the seawalls and canals are maintained by the city of Punta Gorda.

Burnt Store Marina - http://www.burntstoremarina.com/ - It is the only gated community in the Burnt Store area. It features a deep water marina on the southwestern Gulf coast, with 525 wet boat slips, some with up to 100 feet capacity. With over 200 dry dock positions, outside store, a fueling dock and a ship store, this is a boater’s dream. Fish for trout, pompano, tarpon and redfish or relax in a graceful sailboat. Sail Magazine ranked this area as one of the top ten places to sail. The basin is only ten miles to the Gulf of Mexico and Charlotte Harbor is the second-largest estuary in Florida, encompassing 270 square miles.

Peace River Shores – voluntary HOA which allows use of boat ramp, clubhouse, and planned social activities with paid annual fee. Most of Peace River Shores runs on canals, giving boaters easy access to Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf. It is located just off Highway 17.

Wychewood Shores – no deed restrictions, quick access to river and harbor

Harbour Heights – Optional annual HOA fee, located near county park on the bay with playground, butterfly garden, lighted tennis courts, boat ramp, day docks/fishing pier, beach volleyball, shuffleboard, covered pavilion, BBQ. - http://harbourheightsneighbors.com/ - If you are looking for a cozy community that is near the water, look no further than Harbor Heights. You will find this lovely community nestled along the Peace River. Secluded and private, Harbor Heights is popular with retirees. There are fewer than 3,000 residents here, ensuring the feel of a friendly small town. Residents here are able to easily enjoy the native beauty of the outdoors, replete with mature shady oak trees.

Peace River Club – gated entrance, waterfront community, mandatory HOA fees

Ohara Dr/Edgewater Neighborhood – non deed restricted, has a lot of canal homes with gulf access at reasonable prices and there are some really nice homes.

Gulf Cove - Gulf Cove borders the Myakka River and has a community boat ramp. It is just 10 minutes from the mall, shopping, restaurants and more in Port Charlotte and is also convenient to Englewood and the beaches. More expensive homes hover along the canals on the river.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Tamre has given you alot of great recommendations. I will go out on a limb and say I think I was in a similar circumstance as you are. I moved down here about a year ago. I looked at all the areas that Tamre has suggested and more and basically I kept coming back to PGI. I ended up buying in PGI after exploring all these areas. Yes I could have bought more "house" in other areas but those areas were not as attractive to me.

It's the old adage. You cannot change location. Eventually, I decided to stick with PGI and I probably looked at 20 properties till I found the "one". I will say that prices are better in the summer months so if your time frame allows that look then.

I've lived in multiple states and owned many homes and one thing I learned is that it is better to have the worst house in the best neighborrhood then the best house in the worst neighborhood. As long as the house has good bones you can change the decor.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
vacoder, have you joined the civic association?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
vacoder, have you joined the civic association?
Yes Big House. Joined the fishing club and the newcomers club and will probably join one of the boat clubs. We haven't been real active yet as I still work. Nice folks though.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Yes Big House. Joined the fishing club and the newcomers club and will probably join one of the boat clubs. We haven't been real active yet as I still work. Nice folks though.
On April 11th, we are having a men's luncheon at Danny's - I'm chairmen of the luncheon - you can't miss me. You should come. And, come introduce yourself at the monthly newcomer's meeting. They have a lot of things and get togethers going on.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
On April 11th, we are having a men's luncheon at Danny's - I'm chairmen of the luncheon - you can't miss me. You should come. And, come introduce yourself at the monthly newcomer's meeting. They have a lot of things and get togethers going on.
I'll try to make it. Maybe we have already met. I went to one Newcomers happy hour at the Sheraton. Anyways, is Danny's that open bar/restaurant on Marion east of 41? Also, what time?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I'll try to make it. Maybe we have already met. I went to one Newcomers happy hour at the Sheraton. Anyways, is Danny's that open bar/restaurant on Marion east of 41? Also, what time?
Yep that's it, Noon on the 11th. I was there at the Tiki bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte