Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM

403 posts, read 931,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest_of_The_World View Post
There is nothing for kids in the Charlotte county area, neither in most of South West Florida,if you are in your early 30's with a young child stay away from South West Florida, the area caters to 65+ elderly republicans who hate everything that isn't blonde and blue eyes,confederate flag loving folks....
So stay away from the entire SW side of Florida? I happen to love that section of Florida the most. Broad generalizations are not very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM

535 posts, read 1,024,630 times
Quote:
There is nothing for kids in the Charlotte county area, neither in most of South West Florida,if you are in your early 30's with a young child stay away from South West Florida, the area caters to 65+ elderly republicans who hate everything that isn't blonde and blue eyes,confederate flag loving folks....
That's not true

Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,027,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
Thanks for that. I definitely plan to be an involved parent. I don't hear PC on the news too much so I can't imagine the safety there is more of an issue than living near Philly. When my husband was in the Army, we lived only 3 hours away from PC but I had still never heard of it! Which is a good thing
I lived in Baltimore for 33+ years, and can tell you that by comparison (crime wise), this place is paradise!!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,963,422 times
Quote:
OH-MY-GOSH! Are you freaking serious? Don't come onto a forum as a newbie and start making these kinds of false blanket statements. You need to wake up and get out a little. Pick up the paper once in a while. A week doesn't go by where there aren't tons of kids activities advertised! We ARE 30s WITH a young child, and have been here almost 3 years now, and still have barely scratched the surface of all the activities to do here!! Sure, there are a LOT of retirees here, but to say there is nothing to do for young folks to do is just plain wrong and I am calling you out on your misleading information. I await your rebuttle.....

Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Harbor Hopper, did you find it hard to leave your family with a newborn? My mother and sister are heartbroken that we are considering taking their grandson/nephew so far away from them.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 PM

260 posts, read 560,446 times
Deeni,
We are down in North Fort Myers, our kids go to a private school in Ft Myers, so I am afraid I cannot be of much help about Charlotte Co.

I can give you some advice about a Children's Hospital, as we have a bit of experience in that area. All Children's Hospital in St Petersburg is an EXCELLENT facility. It is part of Johns Hopkins.

It would probably take you less time to drive from Pt Charlotte to ACH, than it would from Blue Bell to CHOP. All Children's also maintains Clinics in Sarasota as well as Ft Myers for follow up visits.

I'm sure that where ever you end up you will make friends, with the other kids and their parents. It always seems to work that way.

The real problem with Southwest Florida, is that we don't have a Wawa, good Hoagies or cheesesteaks!
That however is made up for with great Margaritas, beautiful weather and fabulous sunsets.

Welcome to the jungle.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDaMenace View Post
Deeni,
We are down in North Fort Myers, our kids go to a private school in Ft Myers, so I am afraid I cannot be of much help about Charlotte Co.

I can give you some advice about a Children's Hospital, as we have a bit of experience in that area. All Children's Hospital in St Petersburg is an EXCELLENT facility. It is part of Johns Hopkins.

It would probably take you less time to drive from Pt Charlotte to ACH, than it would from Blue Bell to CHOP. All Children's also maintains Clinics in Sarasota as well as Ft Myers for follow up visits.

I'm sure that where ever you end up you will make friends, with the other kids and their parents. It always seems to work that way.

The real problem with Southwest Florida, is that we don't have a Wawa, good Hoagies or cheesesteaks!
That however is made up for with great Margaritas, beautiful weather and fabulous sunsets.

Welcome to the jungle.
Dennis, thank you for this information! Sooo helpful. Unfortunately we spend a fair amount of time at CHOP. Your wawa/hoagie comment is spoken like a true Philadelphian?? I heard wawa is trying to break into the Florida market!!! And I found a Rita's water ice in Clearwater. Hoagies, pizza, and soft pretzels might be a problem though!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM

260 posts, read 560,446 times
You caught me. I grew up in Bucks County (Newtown) and lived down the Jersey Shore for a long time too. We have a Rita's in Ft Myers too.

I'm sorry to hear that your spending so much time at CHOP. We spent nearly six months at All Children's when our daughter was born, so I understand what you are going thru. We are very fortunate to have a world class children's hospital in our back yard.

I'll say a prayer for your family tonight, and another one for Wawa.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Aww, thank you. But after spending time at CHOP I realize how lucky my son is since his issues are treatable. It is so sad to see the kids who are fighting such scary illnesses. Now that I am a parent, it really breaks my heart. Six months in the hospital is rough! I hope she is doing much better now!

I am a NE Philly girl relocated to the suburbs. You didn't live in WW did you? We had a summer house there growing up. Such great memories!!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,963,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
Harbor Hopper, did you find it hard to leave your family with a newborn? My mother and sister are heartbroken that we are considering taking their grandson/nephew so far away from them.
Of course it was hard, and people were sad that we were leaving, but we had to do what was in our hearts. We still get to see people a lot. Lots of airline choices :-)
Your mother and sister are surely upset, but I hope that they are supportive of your decision and not being nasty about it. That would just be selfish of them. Tell them they have a free place to visit when it's 30 degrees up there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte