Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times

Advertisements

I think I need to give Popa a call. With the info we have on hand right now looks like maybe 12X20 (hubby is drawing it up to get an idea) and like you HH only want it 5 foot deep. We did stop down at Superior and waiting for the salesman to call. The owner was very nice but will keep your comments in my brain when it comes time to make a decision. HH, that sounds like a pretty good price, we don't even need another door, the one on the lanai will be enough. We know that we want the salt water system and high efficiency pump. Maybe a light or two but don't think we need much more in the way of bells and whistles.

Oh, Superior does not use any sub contractors, it's family owned so we will see. Also checked the BBB and there are NO complaints.

Our Golden Retriever will think this is for HIM and not me!

Last edited by nphomeowner; 05-24-2012 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 PM

700 posts, read 1,818,969 times
FWIW, we have an 18,000 gal pool with a 114K heat pump heater. Yes, it takes a few days to bring it up to temp. About 1.5 hrs per degree (@80 degrees ambient). 6' progressive deep end. I like it as when I practice my cannonballs I barely touch bottom. Also, treading water for a work out is easier with 6'. We do swim laps. Also, the pool was already installed. If I had one built it probably would be much smaller. It takes much more water to top off.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:43 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I think I need to give Popa a call. With the info we have on hand right now looks like maybe 12X20 (hubby is drawing it up to get an idea) and like you HH only want it 5 foot deep. We did stop down at Superior and waiting for the salesman to call. The owner was very nice but will keep your comments in my brain when it comes time to make a decision. HH, that sounds like a pretty good price, we don't even need another door, the one on the lanai will be enough. We know that we want the salt water system and high efficiency pump. Maybe a light or two but don't think we need much more in the way of bells and whistles.

Oh, Superior does not use any sub contractors, it's family owned so we will see. Also checked the BBB and there are NO complaints.
Unfortunately, you can't trust the BBB since only businesses that PAYS to be a BBB member show up on there.
If you have a dog swimming in the pool, be sure to clean the basket and filter a LOT.
Mine is about 12 x 22 I believe, and is very shapely. Contractors like to do rectangular pools because they're easier and quicker for them, but the prices should be the same for a 12x20 rectangle or a 12x20 shaped pool.
Regarding doors, the standard pool cage comes with 2 entry doors. If you only need one, they should give you about $150 off the price. The digital salt system should be about $1,100 (I got them down to $700). A single light is standard in the pool price. They will offer you a LED multi-color party light upgrade for about $600 more. You can do it yourself later on for about $250 if you want. They will also try to upsell you on a paver deck. This is totally up to you. I went with the less expensive spraycrete (textured concrete in your choice of colors). Easy to maintain, powerwash, and durable. We also chose the cantilever pool edge instead of the bullnose edging. We LOVE the clean, sleak look of it (and it's cheaper!)Here's a couple of pics from 2011 just after completion. Pools?-pool-compl-005.jpg

Pools?-pool-compl-002.jpg

Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
Default pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor hopper View Post
unfortunately, you can't trust the bbb since only businesses that pays to be a bbb member show up on there.
If you have a dog swimming in the pool, be sure to clean the basket and filter a lot. very true , i clean our pool every 3/4 days
mine is about 12 x 22 i believe, and is very shapely. Contractors like to do rectangular pools because they're easier and quicker for them, but the prices should be the same for a 12x20 rectangle or a 12x20 shaped pool.i agree
regarding doors, the standard pool cage comes with 2 entry doors. If you only need one, they should give you about $150 off the price. The digital salt system should be about $1,100 (i got them down to $700). A single light is standard in the pool price. They will offer you a led multi-color party light upgrade for about $600 more. You can do it yourself later on for about $250 if you want. They will also try to upsell you on a paver deck. This is totally up to you. I went with the less expensive spraycrete (textured concrete in your choice of colors). Easy to maintain, powerwash, and durable. again i agree with this , pavers can be 'high maintenance'we also chose the cantilever pool edge instead of the bullnose edging. We love the clean, sleak look of it (and it's cheaper!)only cos you saw and liked mine :-)]

Old 05-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the pics!! LOVELY! When we went in he said the standard price starts out for a 12X24 pool but as we are figuring it out on paper we think a 12X20 would fit our space better, we could go with the 24 foot but would have to have it running the opposite way and just don't think it would look right. He also said any shape we want, it won't affect the price, the size of the deck is what affects the price and their standard is 20X30.

Asked about the dog and he said they have a mesh sleeve that fits over the skimmer basket to help strain out more of the dog hair. We have decided to go with the spraycrete too, our neighbor said the same thing about the pavers, they are a pain in the ars.

Thank you so much for all the tips. Keep them coming please. First estimate is tomorrow at 9:30 am from Superior. Everything you folks are saying is pretty much in line with what the owner has told us already so far so good.

I hear ya on the BBB not being the most reliable source, that's why I'm asking all you seasoned pool owners! I WILL get more estimates before we sign with anyone.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 PM

62 posts, read 181,093 times
I had a pool built from superior back in 2007 and am very happy with them. They do all the work themselves, except the pool cage, they subbed it out. I heard horror stories about other pool companies taking 2 to 3 months to finish the pool. Mine was done in less then 30 days, as they advertised. What I liked about superior was all the work was done with them. Good Luck and let us know who you picked!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:46 AM

Thanks for the positive input Bill. Superior did say they have Absoloute Aluminum do the cage. I'm anxious to get this first estimate.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
Absolute do most cages round here. they did one for me on a home in NP and it was very good. they pre-cut in the factory so it goes up quickly on site.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Salesman showed up right on time this morning. He had a few suggestions that we never thought of. Anyway, we will meet with him next week for the final quote and see how it goes. I do have to say that so far I'm liking this company. Oh they sub out the electrical and the cage, the rest is done by them.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Yeah, the electrical and cage is pretty much always subbed out. We spent about 2 months going back & forth with contractors before finally choosing one. The winners (Popa) quoted about 6 or 7 times total. Pool took about 1 1/2 months to complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte