U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:20 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,724,341 times

Advertisements

A few of the screens in our pool cage have ripped and are flapping in the breeze. Anybody have any good or bad experience with contractors? Close inspection shows lots of little tears here and there, so we've decided to just replace all the panels instead of repairing them 3 or 4 at a time over the next 3 yrs. Thanks in advance for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM

688 posts, read 1,631,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
A few of the screens in our pool cage have ripped and are flapping in the breeze. Anybody have any good or bad experience with contractors? Close inspection shows lots of little tears here and there, so we've decided to just replace all the panels instead of repairing them 3 or 4 at a time over the next 3 yrs. Thanks in advance for any info.
Argh! Must get that done before all the bugs get in. I used someone where I have to find their card. He came right out and did a corner right above the side panel for $50. I do see a lot of rescreening signs around. Hopefully someone will come along with more info while I try to hunt down the business card.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:52 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,710,291 times
Absolute Aluminum - Outdoor Kitchens, Screen Enclosures, Sunrooms - ABSOLUTE ALUMINUM Sarasota Venice

We have personally used them. Some of my buyers have used them. Many of the local pool companies use them. There are some other companies that will do it cheaper. And some local handymen or contractors will replace screens too. They don't have to get engineering since the aluminum is already done. They would just be replacing screens.

You can also check with Scott's Screens - 941-661-5073 - One of my buyers used them and was quite happy.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 PM

52 posts, read 130,432 times
We used Scott's screens. The came out Friday to give us a price and replaced screens Saturday morning! (941) 421-7515

Old 06-02-2012, 07:30 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,697,861 times
I did mine myself, cheap and not too difficult once you get the hang of it.

One thing I found out is the "standard" Home Depot screen holds up to animal claws much better than whatever crap was installed before by an installer, so make sure you ask what the guy is installing and ask what the up-charge is for the next stuff up, and what "kind" that is...and the next stuff up etc....Even if you don't know what he is saying, write it down and act like you do. Sometimes (almost always) contractors will give you a low price using crap material to get the job sold, but they rarely tell you that for an extra $50 or so you can get much better stuff. Do it right the first time, it's the labor you are paying for.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 PM

207 posts, read 221,176 times
D you mean to tell me that some contractors mislead you? I'm stunned and mortified, what is
this world coming to.........

Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt George View Post
D you mean to tell me that some contractors mislead you? I'm stunned and mortified, what is
this world coming to.........
Yes, been there. Currently having roof redone in CA; quote from 1st roofer who thought he had me on the hook was $16,500. Ended up with material upgrade from another roofer for $9300.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,710,291 times
There are different grades of screen. 20/20 is a finer screen that has smaller holes and keeps out bugs better. Some also are more of a sunshade screen.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 AM

6,103 posts, read 14,179,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
There are different grades of screen. 20/20 is a finer screen that has smaller holes and keeps out bugs better. Some also are more of a sunshade screen.
If you live in some areas you DO want the finer screen, and make sure they put bug stripping on the bottom of the screen doors too. The no see ums are tiny and they bite worse than mosquitos, which will be held out by most lanai screening. I live on a canal, and don't get bothered much by mosquitos or no-see 'ems. I'm out on the dock a lot at night, and sometimes, but not often will be bitten. I have a friend that lives on a golf course, and they are afraid to go out a night. We went out last night and decided to end the night at a tiki bar in PG, they headed straight home because they were afraid they'd be bitten.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 AM

We're a couple of houses down from the rim canal and mangroves - the no-see-ums are pretty thick unless there's a good breeze. Thanks for the tips on finer mesh and bug stripping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte