Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 PM

700 posts, read 1,806,667 times

Advertisements

Since I'm in a posting frenzy lately I thought I'd ask a question concerning hurricane protection. I'm not doing this is in the main FL forum because I trust you people more than strangers.

We are in a CBS, full hip roof with impact resistant windows, steel doors. We have multiple sliders out to the pool area under an overhang of the roof. I would rather protect the whole lanai for both cost savings/ease of deployment and to keep the wind from getting under the roof in this area. The sliders are not impact resistant (but multiple sensors for the alarm system).

We're not that concerned about the mitigation standpoint, ie. insurance reduction as we already get a good amount.

Are there recommendations as to what I could use? I really want Miami Dade rated material even though the rest of the house (garage door) are only FL rated. I've looked at the Armor Screen, accordian shutters. Each seems little flimsy. I want protection, not a reduction on insurance.
Should I just go with a bunch of heavy gauge steel covers over the sliders? I'd really like to protect the whole lanai.

Any recommendations?
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,491,898 times
We bought the hurricane shutters for around the outside of the entire lanai. That way you can leave your patio furniture inside and put aything else in the lanai that you don't want to get damaged by winds instead of just covering the sliders. We have the aluminum or steel (not sure which) shutters that you slide into the tracks along the top and the bottom has the bolts. They stack and store easy in the garage. We measured, went to the aluminum place in Port Charlotte, ordered them to custom fit and installed ourselves. Or I should say my boyfriend did it all, not me. They are Miami Dade rated and qualified for the homeowner insurance discount. We put them on every window or glass covering on the entire house because our house was built in 2006 but did not come with shutters. Much cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
We bought the hurricane shutters for around the outside of the entire lanai. That way you can leave your patio furniture inside and put aything else in the lanai that you don't want to get damaged by winds instead of just covering the sliders. We have the aluminum or steel (not sure which) shutters that you slide into the tracks along the top and the bottom has the bolts. They stack and store easy in the garage. We measured, went to the aluminum place in Port Charlotte, ordered them to custom fit and installed ourselves. Or I should say my boyfriend did it all, not me. They are Miami Dade rated and qualified for the homeowner insurance discount. We put them on every window or glass covering on the entire house because our house was built in 2006 but did not come with shutters. Much cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes.
Thanks AGAIN Tammy. Are you saying you use the the same type on the lanai as you do on the windows? Big, ugly but I like it!
And do you remember the name of the aluminum place in PC? And last question, when can your BF come over and install ours??
Many thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
Thanks AGAIN Tammy. Are you saying you use the the same type on the lanai as you do on the windows? Big, ugly but I like it!
And do you remember the name of the aluminum place in PC? And last question, when can your BF come over and install ours??
Many thanks!
We bought them at Town and Country Wholesale Aluminum and Building Products - 20159 Kenilworth Blvd, Port Charlotte, FL. 941-624-5006
I am not sure if they sell to the public. My boyfriend is a residential contractor. We also have a few of the clear panels, one in the kitchen and a couple on the lanai so we can let some light in and also see outside. We have only had to put them up one time.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:30 PM

94 posts, read 177,210 times
Never thought about shutters for the whole lanai, is that inside the screened lanai or outside of the screened area? If it is outside what about the top?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Our shutters are outside the screened lanai which has a roofover. If you have a lanai with a pool extended beyond it, you would just attach the shutters to the area where the roof is between the lanai and pool cage. You run a track on the bottom and top and slide the shutters in and bolt them down. We had that type at our previous home.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,766,268 times
Id ask Harris RWS froggy he would know best. My concern is my 3 sided sunrooms sliders.
I can pm you his email if needed

Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 PM

535 posts, read 1,023,985 times
I had aluminum shutters for the lanai area like TamRE spoke of they certainly offer the best possible protection, I believe but they take hours to put up a real PIA. I just put in aluminum sliders from Storm Smart, Pricy, but they offer similar protection and close up tight in 1/10Th the time with no sweat

Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,766,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
I had aluminum shutters for the lanai area like TamRE spoke of they certainly offer the best possible protection, I believe but they take hours to put up a real PIA.
t
On my last bome i had the bolt on metal shutters
204 i last frack of how many time i lut them up inhad neighbors who just left them up but it was dark like a cave inside.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
Id ask Harris RWS froggy he would know best. My concern is my 3 sided sunrooms sliders.
I can pm you his email if needed
Thanks Mike. I've already spoken to Harris. I was looking at the Armor Screen. Without employment I'm looking to go cheap and proven protection.
Thx all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte