Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:23 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
they dont get to raise your taxes for what you do to it.
Ding ding ding ding, BINGO! Money hungry gov't at work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
they dont get to raise your taxes for what you do to it.
I agree.

The permits have nothing to do with protecting anyone, it has to do with the gov thinking of any little thing to collect taxes.

It is not the government's fault, it is our fault for letting them do it and summarizing up as "it has always been like that", or "that's government!", instead of actively doing something about it.

But then there is the segment of population who believe everything the gov does is correct, and fall head over heels for anything with the tag line of "for your protection" and "for the children".

Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
I feel ya...I just pulled two(!) permits to run water and electric to my dock. I did it well past NEC code, overkill, yet I'm still worried what "violations" the inspector might find. What a waste of $200. To put a boat lift in I found I need 3 more permits plus a survey. $$$$$

Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 PM

142 posts, read 164,830 times
There is so much BS out there, even the lady at Lowes in North Port that works the plumbing dept was trying to tell me that I need to put in a heat expansion tank. Another wasted 60 bucks for nothing. Then she was trying to push me on the heat nipples and that is a waste. Its like people sit around trying to figure out how to get another dollar out of your wallet.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 PM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
There is so much BS out there, even the lady at Lowes in North Port that works the plumbing dept was trying to tell me that I need to put in a heat expansion tank. Another wasted 60 bucks for nothing. Then she was trying to push me on the heat nipples and that is a waste. Its like people sit around trying to figure out how to get another dollar out of your wallet.
They do day and night. Isn't America retail great. They used to smile but now they just want your money.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
What's that lady's name at Lowes? Hell, I just want to have her tell me all about her heated nipples!
I'd pay a small permit fee, if required. DOH! DOH! DOH!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:34 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I feel ya...I just pulled two(!) permits to run water and electric to my dock. I did it well past NEC code, overkill, yet I'm still worried what "violations" the inspector might find. What a waste of $200. To put a boat lift in I found I need 3 more permits plus a survey. $$$$$
get ready for the question and answer session on how and why you did the work. reason for that is he wants you to turn in some handyman that did the work you are claiming to have done. i did an extensive renovation up north and the electrical inspector asked so many questions i was looking for my contractors license to show up in the mail. he was there the day after the framing inspector who was so drunk (early am) he could barely stand.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
I recently had the most onboxious inspector call to a home I finished. The grade inspector (yup another one) had called and left a note with a term i wasnt familiar with. So I politley asked the inside inspector 'Sir do you know anything about grade ?'
'No nothing' was the abrupt reply.
so i called the grade guy who was very helpful and said whats a berm (not a term we use in the UK)....at which point no 1 inspector shouts from another room ' jeez thats a small bank'.....'oh' I say'so you DO know something about grade'

'Nope' he says smugly 'we have a thing here called the english dictionary !'

'Really' says I now p1ssed off royally ' and where do you think the ENGLISH bit came from ???'

I then said 'so whats x,y and z' naming 3 things I knew he wouldnt have a clue on

'huh dunno'

'really well thats funny cos they are all in the ENGLISH dictionary' .......I think he got I wasnt happy !!!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 AM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I feel for ya. I put a lift in 2 years ago. What a waste of 340.00 dollars in just permits and fees. The run around they gave me was out of control. Top it all off the contractor in stalled the lift wrong and the inspector didn't know what he was doing. He didn't catch the fact the installer didn't bolt the motor drive down correctly. When I came down and went to lift my boat it went up and sheared the remaining bolts on the motor. I barely got the boat back in the water before it came apart. I fixed the trans. on the motor and the bracket. Lift works great now. Just goes to show you don't need any of these people and there permits to do a simple job like a lift. What it done right do it yourself without any of these people. Don't get me started about all the errors in my new home the inspectors missed. There answer was it was really busy in 2006 and we can't catch everything. Then I said I should get a refund on my permits. Since you failed to do your job correctly. They said that is not going to happen. I see why they get sued so much.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
In our Missouri county they sneaked in P&Z Planning and Zoning which requires a permit for any repairs done to your home. Change a door knob .... permit, paint your house ....... permit, you get the picture. The courthouse people already make more money per hour than us private sector people and now they think up ways to get more money from us.

AND OUR TAXES PAY THEIR WAGES!!! YOU STILL WANT BIG GOVERNMENT?
Do people actually pay the permit fee for such easy things to do such as changing a door knob ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte