U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 AM

17 posts, read 131,917 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I am a newlywed married 4 months ago on April 7, 2012. I would like to talk about our wedding day -- where the ceremony and reception took place, who married us, did our flowers, cake, catering, rentals, photography, DJ, everything. Why? Because when I was planning the big day, I barely found anything online! So if any bride-to-be happens to come across this thread, hopefully she will find this helpful. We spent between 6,000 and 6,500 total on our wedding, not even close to the 'average' 28,000 but not a cheap backyard wedding either, it was perfect (for us!). I'm going to list the location and prices first, then explain everything below that.

Ceremony location: Laishley Park Gazebo, we had enough seats for 60 people. Rented for 2 hours, total of $42.
City of Punta Gorda Florida

Reception location: Laishley Marina, large open room right on the water, our guests walked from the ceremony to the reception it was so close. Rented from 7:30 am to 10 pm, $600 (plus 350 refundable security deposit)
Laishley Park Municipal Marina - Punta Gorda, FL

Photographer: EHS Photo Studios – Doug Bunnell, 5 hours + all pics on DVD $700
www.ehsphoto.com

DJ: Black Tie DJs, 5 hours $600
www.blacktiedjs.net

Caterer: La Fontana, food for 80, $1200
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/La...01206316574222

Rentals: Do All Rental in Port Charlotte, they provided all the chairs, champagne glasses, etc. AND we paid them to have two waitresses there all night for a very reasonable price. $650
Do-All Rental, Inc.

We originally planned to be married in Bradenton at Mixon Fruit Farms, it was gorgeous and we loved it but not only was it expensive, it also had a lot of rules. Most places require you use preferred caterers, photographers, bartenders, and DJs, which just happen to be the most expensive in town. So we started searching for a reception location that doesn't have as many rules, in Charlotte county. We had been to Laishley Park and Laishley Marina many times, so we checked it out and decided to rent the gazebo in Laishley Park, and have the reception across the parking lot at Laishley Marina. The gazebo fit quite a few people, we had 60 chairs set up underneath it comfortable. Everyone was out of the sun under the shaded gazebo. The reception had enough chairs and tables for 80 people and we still had plenty of space left over. All of our vendors were amazing and went above and beyond their job description.

Tips: What we were going to save money on was the servers, we figured everyone could get their own food and drink, but they did so much more than that. They helped clean, fold up tables and chairs, assist guests, everything we needed them to do. Another tip is alcohol, we didn’t have enough variety or amount, I wish we would have had more as our reception seemed to die out earlier than expected, and most people weren’t loose enough to get down and dance. Also, make sure you schedule some alone time with your new husband, my favorite part of the whole day was sitting on a bench overlooking the Charlotte Harbor after the reception with my husband. It was just us, no guests that wanted our attention, no pictures to pose for, just the two of us and the quiet night.
Attached Thumbnails
Wedding planning tips and ideas-w-0004-427x640-.jpg   Wedding planning tips and ideas-w-0006-427x640-.jpg   Wedding planning tips and ideas-w-0083-427x640-.jpg   Wedding planning tips and ideas-w-0138-427x640-.jpg   Wedding planning tips and ideas-w-0285-427x640-.jpg  

Wedding planning tips and ideas-w-0407-640x427-.jpg  
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 10:37 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,448,958 times
Looks like you did it up nicely. Good post for others. Thanks for sharing.
PS - love La Fontana.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM

241 posts, read 443,568 times
I have done this for both my daughters' weddings back in PA. We spent about $6500(at a restaurant) on one and $4000(at home0 on the other. You didn't go broke or crazy and neither did they and I am sure yours was just as nice and special as theirs. Another tip is when buying things, don't mention the word wedding. The price goes up! One of my daughters had a "wedding" cake and the other had a "cake"...big price difference!

PS-Talk about being crazy...my house in PA had papers signed on Dec 31, Jan 7 I decided to do a wedding for 50 people at my home , movers took all my belongings and furniture to Florida on Jan 31(made for an empty house perfect to accommodate the wedding), had the wedding Feb 19, settlement was Feb 28. So don't let anyone tell you there isn't enough time or it can't be done! Even my new son-in-law doubted, but that day was in shock and awe!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:22 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,684,690 times
Thank you for sharing the information. My stepdaughter lives in Sarasota but is looking for an affordable place to have her wedding in 2014. I will pass along the info to her. Congratulations!!!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM

52 posts, read 130,083 times
My daughter is planning a very small wedding ( 30-40) on the beach in early February. I was looking for back up plans if the weather is not cooperating that day. Any ideas? I looked at the Gazebo at Laishley and Gilchrist parks. I think either would be nice if it is raining. We could all get out of the rain and it is reasonable rates for an hour or so, but was wondering if there was an indoor location that I should consider? Also any ideas on catering, or a restaurant/ country club? Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM

17 posts, read 131,917 times
Thanks Tamre!

MSgal, I would definitely recommend the gazebo in Laishley, it was HUGE and there was plenty of room for all of our guests, which more then doubled the amount your daughter is planning to have. I was worried about rain as well, but after looking at the gazebo I was confident that even if it was pouring, all the guests would stay dry. I'm not sure of the size in Gilchrist. Plus, using those big golfing umbrellas would make for some really cute pictures!

I recommend La Fontana for catering all the way, he was VERY affordable compared to everyone else we found. I was losing hope in ever finding an affordable caterer until we happened to walk in to his restaurant for lunch one day.

Good luck and congratulations!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,684,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay707kay View Post
Thanks Tamre!

MSgal, I would definitely recommend the gazebo in Laishley, it was HUGE and there was plenty of room for all of our guests, which more then doubled the amount your daughter is planning to have. I was worried about rain as well, but after looking at the gazebo I was confident that even if it was pouring, all the guests would stay dry. I'm not sure of the size in Gilchrist. Plus, using those big golfing umbrellas would make for some really cute pictures!

I recommend La Fontana for catering all the way, he was VERY affordable compared to everyone else we found. I was losing hope in ever finding an affordable caterer until we happened to walk in to his restaurant for lunch one day.

Good luck and congratulations!
I am going to go to some bridal shows this year with my step-daughter. They finally set a date for 10/11/14. I sent her a copy of your information, thanks again.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,909 times
this was such an AWESOME post to stumble across after just getting engaged recently! i live in fort myers but my parents have a condo in punta gorda.. i love PG and so does my fiance.. you are seriously the bomb.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 AM

3,178 posts, read 5,381,397 times
Unfortunately this thread is almost 2yrs old and several of the businesses listed are no longer IN business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte