Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM

50 posts, read 150,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4fl View Post
Just a few words regarding the various terms being used. Mobile, trailer homes, and manufactured homes are built with a steel frames under them. They usually are known to depreciate in value vs a "modular home" (which is built to higher standards - as are "stick" homes). Trailer homes usually still have the axles attached under them (hence the term trailer). Mobile or manufactured homes usually have them removed (though they may still remain under the house in some parks).

Modular homes appreciate in value since they cannot be moved after completion and have to have inspections for additions/upgrades, same as a "stick" home. Mobile/manufactured homes cannot have a second story added to them since they are not structurally built to the proper standards.

TamRE, I really appreciate your insight regarding real estate. You always explain things fully and yet in terms people can understand (even though a few on here disagree with your comments).
Hey, crazy4fl ... love that name, btw ... thanks for the lesson, I had NO idea!

My husband and I were wondering, if we found one that we liked, if we could put our heavy furniture in it! We wondered if the floor could take the load. Just before we lost our income, I bought a brand new 6 pc leather sectional for the great room and it's paid for, cannot return it ... then 5 months later we're wondering if it's too heavy to haul down to FL and put into a manufactured/mobile/modular home or if we are going to need to sell it and take a loss. Who knew all this change was going to happen? Now that I know there is a steel frame on those homes, I guess we can consider keeping the sectional. And some of the other heavy stuff.

Thanks again! Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
There are VERY few modular homes in this area of Florida. The modular homes are predominantly found on private owned land and not in 55+ mobile home communities. Rio Villa Lakes in Punta Gorda is a 55+ community with modular homes, but they don't have any for sale right now. I also think Emerald Lake in Punta Gorda has some modular homes.

Here is one for sale in Emerald Lake
Attachment 101018
Thanks, I found that one earlier today as well.

Some of the realtors who are listing these types of homes seem to be a bit confused as to what to call them, too. I found one listing that said manufactured home in the title and then modular home in the description. So I don't know what it was ... But I figured at the time that they are two different things. I kind of thought that a modular home was a home that is like a puzzle ... precision pieces cut at a factory, then packaged and sent off to be built on site per plan, like maybe those desks and things you can buy at IKEA and build at home, only MUCH larger and more involved. I mean, you probably still have to hire a builder, I couldn't do that myself ... and get it done in my lifetime! If at all.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
heres my take on Arcadia. I coach soccer in PC and a lot of my boys come from there. they are all mexicans and a good bunch of kids. You will find Arcadia has a fair sized Hispanic community. also its a way out from anywhere. i reckon an hour to the beach. its also and I am trying to be polite here , a little caught in a time trap. my suggestion would be look more towards PC/North Port. if your budget is 100k you will find some nice condos in Deep Creek . Arcadia would not be for me

Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4fl View Post
TamRE - that's a manufacturer home. I believe it was made by Silvercrest (though I could be wrong; appears to be one of their models though). I live in a manufactured home. When I looked up the MLS listing it shows an overhead pix of the park. Those roofs are all like the park I live in here in CA.
The MLS listing says that the home in Emerald Lake is a modular home and not a mobile home. It is either classified as manufactured/mobile home or modular home in the MLS. I haven't seen the home myself. I am just going by what the listing says it is. But quite often Realtors put incorrect information in the listing. The county records for this property says block stucco masonry frame and the listing says wood frame. So there is another conflict right there. If I do a search for just modular homes this is the only one that comes up in a community. But I do know that Rio Villa Lakes has modular homes and DR Horton came in and built block stucco homes to finish the community out. I have seen those homes.

Last edited by TamRE; 09-14-2012 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieAnnie View Post
Thanks, I found that one earlier today as well.

Some of the realtors who are listing these types of homes seem to be a bit confused as to what to call them, too. I found one listing that said manufactured home in the title and then modular home in the description. So I don't know what it was ... But I figured at the time that they are two different things. I kind of thought that a modular home was a home that is like a puzzle ... precision pieces cut at a factory, then packaged and sent off to be built on site per plan, like maybe those desks and things you can buy at IKEA and build at home, only MUCH larger and more involved. I mean, you probably still have to hire a builder, I couldn't do that myself ... and get it done in my lifetime! If at all.

Be aware that your monthly HOA fee can be very high, and you might need flood insurance. A former neighbor of mine lives at Windmill Lake in Punta Gorda and pays $500/mo. in fees. They actually lost the house in Hurricane Charley and had to replace it. TamRE could give you a heads up on that issue.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
heres my take on Arcadia. I coach soccer in PC and a lot of my boys come from there. they are all mexicans and a good bunch of kids. You will find Arcadia has a fair sized Hispanic community. also its a way out from anywhere. i reckon an hour to the beach. its also and I am trying to be polite here , a little caught in a time trap. my suggestion would be look more towards PC/North Port. if your budget is 100k you will find some nice condos in Deep Creek . Arcadia would not be for me
I talked to a woman at Cross Creek RV which is outside Arcadia a few miles and she told me they are definitely "out in the country". So I expected what you described. I think we will be looking more toward staying closer to Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda areas in our search. I think it would be closer to what we're used to, with shopping etc. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Be aware that your monthly HOA fee can be very high, and you might need flood insurance. A former neighbor of mine lives at Windmill Lake in Punta Gorda and pays $500/mo. in fees. They actually lost the house in Hurricane Charley and had to replace it. TamRE could give you a heads up on that issue.
Now this is the info that we need to hear! About whether they blow away in the winds or not. We are aware of HOA fees and have been wondering about flood insurance. I read a thread that dealt with that and got a lot of info from there. The flood and hurricane/wind issues are why we considered Arcadia, we're pretty scared about these things since we don't have to deal with that here in KY where we live. We're up high on a ridge overlooking a valley with a river a mile and a half down at the bottom. No flooding issues up here on the ridge but we have had some strong winds hit the house at times. We lost our roof shingles about 5 yrs ago in an 80mph wind during a thunder storm, replaced the roof but that's the worst we've had to deal with here. So for that reason alone, Arcadia sounds better, it's more inland I guess. But if the storm is big enough, they get slammed too, right? Maybe a brick house would hold up better?

Old 09-15-2012, 04:03 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieAnnie View Post
Now this is the info that we need to hear! About whether they blow away in the winds or not. We are aware of HOA fees and have been wondering about flood insurance. I read a thread that dealt with that and got a lot of info from there. The flood and hurricane/wind issues are why we considered Arcadia, we're pretty scared about these things since we don't have to deal with that here in KY where we live. We're up high on a ridge overlooking a valley with a river a mile and a half down at the bottom. No flooding issues up here on the ridge but we have had some strong winds hit the house at times. We lost our roof shingles about 5 yrs ago in an 80mph wind during a thunder storm, replaced the roof but that's the worst we've had to deal with here. So for that reason alone, Arcadia sounds better, it's more inland I guess. But if the storm is big enough, they get slammed too, right? Maybe a brick house would hold up better?

You don't have to live in Arcadia to be in DeSoto County. The best part of DeSoto County is down near Punta Gorda in Charlotte County, in the Lake Suzy area. Florida gets hurricanes, and a tornado now and then, even a baby tornado can wreck serious havoc. It's broiling hot in the summer, broiling! and humidity like you're in a sauna. Have you been to the area you are considering? Highly advisable. Don't fall in love via MLS photos online.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:33 PM

38 posts, read 84,492 times
OK - here goes....bit long....
Manufactured Homes (mobile, trailer, HUD home):
1. The home is delivered on an integral steel frame (chassis) and must remain on this
steel frame forever.
2. There is a permanent identifying plate that has to stay on the home, like a license
plate. This is a relic requirement from when it used to be a true mobile home pulled
from place to place.
3. HUD homes have low-pitched roofs, typically 3/12 or 4/12, and never more than 6/12,
because of architectural design limitations.
4. The quality of the materials is not the same as that of site-built or modular homes in
most cases. To keep the cost low, most builders of HUD homes use suppliers that
have designed products specifically to be the cheapest that can possibly be built and
meet the HUD code.
5. HUD homes are built to a blanket federal code, not your local building codes.
6. In most cases a HUD home will finance more like personal property, similar to a car.
In some cases it can be financed as a “Mobile Home on a Permanent Foundation.”
7. There is a required disclosure when you sell a manufactured home since it's not the
same building code as a site built home or a modular home.
8. Refinancing is more difficult in almost every case, given similar income, credit, and
loan amounts.
9. It is difficult to make changes to a manufactured home because it requires a state
inspector to review plans and come do site inspections. Since the HUD homes are
designed to the minimal structural code allowed in most cases, your options are
typically limited to minor changes or side-to-side additions. Two-story additions are
uncommon.
10. There are very few two-story manufactured homes, and those that are built have a
very simple look to them.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 PM

38 posts, read 84,492 times
Modular Homes (Pre-fab, Factory Built Housing):
1. The home is built on wood floor joists or floor trusses above a raised perimeter
concrete foundation, just like any other site-built home on a raised foundation. A big
difference is that the floor has double rim-joists whereas a site-built home would only
have single rim-joists.
2. There is no such obvious permanent plate telling anyone that you are living in a
mobile home. The most typical indicator is a sticker that is placed on the inside of a
bathroom or kitchen cabinet. This sticker may removed upon completion of the
home.
3. The roof pitch can be pretty much whatever you want it to be. You can build a flat
roof, a 2/12 or 3/12 Spanish style roof, a standard 5/12 or 6/12 ranch, and even up to
a 12/12 Cape Cod or Lodge style roof. Multiple gables, hips, and roof pitches are
possible.
4. The quality and performance of the home’s structure generally exceeds that of a site
built home and is much, much stronger than a manufactured home.
5. Modular homes are built to the same state and local building codes as site built
homes.
6. The construction loan finances a modular home just like a site built home.
7. There is no disclosure required at the time of sale since the modular home is just a
different route to building a Single-family residence, not a different type of home.
Feel free to verify with this with your state Department of Real Estate if you don't
believe us.
8. Refinancing is the same process as with a site-built home.
9. It is not hard to make changes to plans. Many of our homes have been custom
designed for our clients, and are specific to their needs, the configuration of their lot,
and the requirements of the local jurisdiction.
10. Wood-framed modular homes can be two stories or three stories. Four story modular
buildings are possible in low seismic and wind conditions. We can ship modular
buildings for apartments and condominiums up to twelve (12) stories worldwide, built
to the appropriate commercial building code.
A regular site-built home typically has 2" x 4" exterior walls, even in many fancy neighborhoods.
Modular homes have 2" x 6" exterior walls standard, better than most site-built homes and
almost all manufactured homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte