U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 AM

58 posts, read 106,976 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We just finished our visit to the area. I left a full post on the Sarasota forum if interested.

Anyway, we really liked PG. Too bad we missed big house, but the beer I bought him didn't go to waste...... The Celtic Ray has some good brew! I wanted to know, if we move to PG, about beaches. We are not die hard beach people but I figure if we move there might be. I know PG residents can drive to Englewood for the beach but wanted to know about boat access beaches. Are there many beaches that you can take your boat too? Either boat only or regular? I envision a little fishing, and snoozing on a beach with my dogs after a little lunch or whatever. That brings to mind dog friendly beaches. Are most beaches dog friendly? That would be a big plus!

One thing I need to mention, since I am still itchin, is the sand flea thing. I must have stepped on a a nest or something, but I have about 300 bites on my legs and feet. It is rediculously itchy and has been for a week now. I can't even sleep through the night. Is this common??? It really has me concerned about the beaches if I have to spray bug spray AND sunblock! Lol
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,517,840 times
From pgi you could do cayo costa beach the boat i havnt yet there
Rhat would be closest they have a state beach abd cabbins
Don pedro island has boat docks accesed crom the icw side of the island with toilets
did alot in englewood area
Heres some boats at port. CHarlotte beach

Stump
Pass

Dogs arnt allowed on most public beaches but there are places ive seen on sanbars aroung gasparilla that i have seen this going on.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks. How far are these by boat from PGI

Old 10-07-2012, 02:18 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,786,955 times
Here are some pet friendly parks and beaches in the area

South Brohard Beach and Paw Park is located at 1600 Harbor Dr. S., Venice, FL. This park is for dog lovers. It has a fenced dog play yard, doggie drinking fountains, showers on decks for dogs only, fire hydrants and leash posts. The park is also adjacent to the only beach in Sarasota County that allows dogs to roam free. Dog lovers have declared this park and beach to be the best doggie park in the state.

Hounds on Henry Street is a dog park located at Henry and Shreve Streets in Punta Gorda, FL. The park has a fenced area for large dogs as well as a small dog and puppy fenced area. There are water spigots, benches, picnic tables, trash cans, and disposal bags available. They do not have public restrooms. The surface type is grass with cement paths. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs at all times.

Paw Park is located at 24410 Bayshore Rd in Port Charlotte, FL. This park has a fenced area where your pet can play off the leash. There is a separate small dog area, water hoses, water bowls, and disposal bags. There are restrooms and a playground nearby.

Edgewater Paw Park is located at 22410 Glass Lane in Port Charlotte, FL. This park does allow dogs and has over one acre of fenced-in land where your dog can roam. They have a picnic area with picnic tables, a playground, restrooms, trash cans, and bag stations. Dog owners must be in the fenced area with their pet at all times and must have their leash in their hand.

Boating to a beachesand areas in Southwest Florida
There are hundreds of quiet bays to explore. Island places like Sanibel Island, Captiva Island, Boca Grande, Little Gasparilla Island, Cabbage Key, Useppa, Pine Island Sound, Cape Haze, Cayo Costa, Lemon Bay and Redfish Pass are a day trip from any dock in Punta Gorda or Port Charlotte.

Last edited by TamRE; 10-07-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,960,296 times
i dont think you got bit by sand fleas. its either fire ants but more than likely no seeums. the no seeums dont hurt much when you get bit but a day or so later you will feel it. its kind of like a souvenir.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:55 PM

Default But I feel ums

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
i dont think you got bit by sand fleas. its either fire ants but more than likely no seeums. the no seeums dont hurt much when you get bit but a day or so later you will feel it. its kind of like a souvenir.
I'm not sure either way....doc says fleas because its over a week, and they look like welts of various sizes, not bites and there where so many of em. He didnt really care either, but gave me steroids so now I'm not only itchy but my biceps are huge!! Lol

Old 10-07-2012, 05:11 PM

260 posts, read 526,465 times
I'm guessing red ants since they are limited to your legs and feet.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 PM

Default Well not exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDaMenace View Post
I'm guessing red ants since they are limited to your legs and feet.
We have them on our arms chest and back too, but no where near the number as on our legs. After careful deliberations (careful in that I know better than argue) my wife feels Jersey may be right. She recalled seeing a bunch of little black bugs on the outside porch for our room. It was wood boards and the buggers would go in and out of the gaps. Maybe they flew or maybe not. Are fire ants very red or just a shade? Do the no see ums fly or just crawl? How long do those bites itch? Up here no see ums, at least to me, are small mosquitoes or gnats but I've only had maybe 3 or 4 bites at any one time and it last maybe a day or so . Then again I'm not really a nature guy or one of those whatchamacallit bug scientists........lol Although it seems I'm gonna need a class or 2 if we move down there huh?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
its kind of like a souvenir.
And to think I coulda got a t shirt

Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 AM

3,178 posts, read 5,451,277 times
From PGI, the beaches are a good 35-45 min away by boat. That's for Cayo Costa & Boca Grande. There are unmarked sandbars that are nicer though. There are also white sand strips of uninhabited beach along the harbor west wall, which is only a 10 minboat ride if u don't mind tannin-stained brackish water. Your dogs will love it just please clean up after them. I don't want to step in that (or my son)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>