Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 AM

425 posts, read 1,104,841 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am not in the senior age catagory yet but sliding towards it
This week for me has been a series of alot of downs. I am 52 and will be 53 this yr.
I have been blessed that everytime I change a job something always comes my way..
I am a hard worker,always on time,dont take sick days,my children are grown and out of the house,
The only time I take time off is to come down to our home in North Port at the end of the year.
I am a dental assistant, not certified and I dont have my xray certificate.I was taught by my late boss and the new guys who have been there 5 yrs were aggressive in growing there business to 13 offices.. we are a private practice and the rest of the offices are clinic's mostly patients with state insurance..
Here is the problem..
I get called into the office on monday saying we are sending you to another office 2 days a week. well it felt like a slap in the face.
The other assistant has 25 yrs ex, to my almost 7 and does take xrays..
People dont have money to get procedures done that they once were able to do~ blame the economy.
The accountant questioned why 2 assistants with not enough work.. but what they dont understand is that I do much more than assist. when the ones with children are out, I man the phones, make appts,
I do the laundry,work in the lab autoclave and clean instruments,File all files, make confirmation calls,I can do most everything , I dont do the insurance, or deal with the finances.
I multi task.. figuring that is job security, I have even gone to a few other offices to help out.
another call into the office yesterday saying sorry but we are cutting your hours, hope it will be temporary..
My DH is working a bit of overtime right now so we can do this for a month or so but now,
Who is gonna hire an almost 53 yr old for a full time job, and I need benefits.
We will survive, but I dont need the stress of having to pound the pavement at this stage of my life.I always say things happen for a reason and it always works out, but I have always been younger when looking for work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
So sorry to hear. I feel your pain. I have been there. I was a teacher for 23 years and my position got totally eliminated. No more benefits, no retirement, nothing. I had a very hard time finding work so I went into Real Estate and started a whole new career. I will probably never be able to retire, but maybe can cut back my hours as I get older. I am 51. All you can do for now is hang in there and search for other positions while you are waiting to see if they can hire you back full time. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
you know what, out of bad comes good and things happen for a reason.

35 years ago i was laid off on a friday....on the mondya I found a job i would never have applied for in the field i have been in for ...35 years. I had the greatest boss in the world,who to me was my father i never had and worked with him for 18 years until he passed away. that was one of the saddest days of my life but spurred me to find another job, which i loved and did for 61/2 years until i got laid off........when I found another job which led me to meet someone. ileft that job to start a company with that someone, thru that company I got contacts to start my own business with another partner. who it turned out shafted me, so I started again on my own and built a $5m a year company.....which led to us moving to Florida......................

the moral being ,if i hadnt got laid off 35 years ago my whole life woulda been different.

take any positive you can, this may allow you to do something else. it may be the spur to look for work in Florida and make your move too...........there is such a thing as karma, if you are a good person you will get your reward.

dont look back look forward

and good luck

Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM

Default thanks for the boost of confidence

yes that has happened to me, when God closes a door he opens a window.. most definately will keep an open mind for sure..
I have fallen into jobs that have worked for the situation and I have know doubt it will happen again..
I do know my strengths, no more waitressing, did that on and off for 25 yrs , cant stay on my feet that long lol
I am very good with dealing with the elderly,I have quite a few friends in that age group and always try and help where I can.. not like CNA work, but more of a companion,driver, shopper,cook for the elderly..
I am also very good with animals, so vet receptionist or something of the sort would work..
just keep me in your thoughts , and enjoy all that life has to give .. soak up some of that sun for me
thanks again xoxoxoxox

Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM

531 posts, read 1,161,750 times
We're wishing you all the best, Grandmallie.......good luck to you, and we'll be thinking about you! That was super advise you received from both TamRE AND Mr.andMrs.Sunshine!!! :-)

Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Default ya'll are so sweet

So nice to have friends who have my back though we are a few thousand miles from one another
I always dish advise if I have it, and will take any that all of you can send my way
Thanks again dear friends

Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
don't feel too bad a friend of mine just got married last year they bought a new condo and shortly after his wife lost here job of 30 years.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
don't feel too bad a friend of mine just got married last year they bought a new condo and shortly after his wife lost here job of 30 years.
That's AWFUL!!! Poor things! Was she able to retain a new job?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:18 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
Not yet but she has a nice severen e package. While she looks

Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 AM

Well, at least that should help........good luck to anyone trying to get a job! Our family has been very lucky in that category, thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte