Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM

697 posts, read 1,169,713 times

Advertisements

Well,

It's been a long while, but the move to North Port is getting nearer. I had various inspectors out to the property and have a list of things that will need to be repaired/replaced in the coming months after we close, but before we move in.

Looking for recommendations for a landscaper to get ideas and purchase plants/trees's from to cover the front yard from the SW sun and bushes/plants for adding privacy on the sides and back of yard.

Also, the pool cage might need to be re-screened.

Lastly, the irrigation has been off for the past 5 years..I am going to look that over and replace the heads if need be, but might need a irrigation service company also.

Thanks for all your help.

P.S...would love to meet some of the fellow North Porter's after our Jun move in date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
I would recommend the following:

Aluminum Screen Work
Absolute Aluminum
941-650-1466
www.absolutealuminum.com

or
Scotts Screens
Port Charlotte
941-421-7515
* Welcome to Scott's Screens, providing screen services in Port Charlotte, FL.

Sprinkler System
American Irrigation
North Port
941-587-2027
Irrigation Repair North Port, Port Charlotte & Sarasota | American Irrigation Florida

Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
I had shaffer irrigation do work in the past

Shaffer's Irrigation Incorporated in Port Charlotte | Shaffer's Irrigation Incorporated (941) 625-5875 & Po Box 496383, Port Charlotte, FL 33949 | <Home & Garden/Lawn & Garden/Landscaping> - Yahoo! US Local

Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM

Thanks..any nurseries you can recommend?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,137 times
If you need trees there is a tree store on 41 in port Charlotte that sells them at an installed price mew got one last year and they were quick and the tree is doing great. For plants I really like Lowes, there is MRT in Venice also but I have had real good luck with lowes plants

Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
We do our own landscaping. We buy our plants mostly at Home Depot because they are guaranteed for a year. We had frost kill plants several times and took them back to Home Depot and got a gift card and replaced them. We bought palm trees from a palm tree store in Punta Gorda and they don't guarantee them. And what do you know, the first year we had them the frost killed them. We have since gone to mostly cold hardy plants so that I don't have to cover them when a frost comes.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
If you need trees there is a tree store on 41 in port Charlotte that sells them at an installed price mew got one last year and they were quick and the tree is doing great. For plants I really like Lowes, there is MRT in Venice also but I have had real good luck with lowes plants
I would have to second Lowes for plants-better selection than Home Depot and a one year guarantee. They ahve some great prices-especially in the Spring.

The great thing about North Port is the sandy soil makes it extremely easy to dig large holes for trees,shrubs etc. What would take over an hour of hard digging at our place in CO took only 20 minutes of easy digging in North Port when we put in a couple of palms. The mulch is great from Lowes as well-cypress.

There is also a very nice nursery on River Road near the interstate (forgot the name) and the tree place in PC some else mentioned is top notch as well-use them for palm fertilizer-the stuff at the big box stores is pretty much worthless-they will also give you tips on when/how to feed your palms. Our large canary island date palm greened up nicely using their fertilizer and directions.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
there is MRT in Venice also but I have had real good luck with lowes plants
I had MRT okant 3 24' queens palms June 2004 in august hurricane charley blew them over , they were back out after I asked what I should do and replanted them the next weeks

Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte