Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 40,192 times

Advertisements

My wife and I would love to retire in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. We are very interested in buying a home on a salt water canal to take advantage of the great fishing. My assumption is that the canals closer to the harbor or rivers provide the best fishing and variety of fish. If my assumption is correct, how far inland can one go before canal fishing isn’t very good? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by jverreaux; 02-26-2013 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 05:37 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
All saltwater canal fishing is more/less seasonal. Winter is best when more fish look for warmer water. In most canals you will be able to catch mangrove snapper, juvenile snook & redfish, sheepshead, ladyfish, catfish, etc... once the water starts to warm (april-nov) you will primarily catch catfish in the canals

Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Charlotte Harbor is the best fishing location in Southwest Florida. Boca Grande is known as the best tarpon fishing in the world. Some of the canals have more fish than others, and as Harbor Hopper said, the type of fish is seasonal. There are tarpon, redfish, snook, speckled trout, cobia, grouper, kingfish, snapper and many other species.

If you want to learn a great deal about fishing in the area go to Fishin Franks web site in Port Charlotte at: Fishin' Frank's

As far as homes on salt water canals, there are plenty in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. Some are direct access to the Gulf and others may have one or more bridges to the Gulf. Charlotte County also has the Peace River and Myakka River which offer great boating and fishing.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM

252 posts, read 388,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
All saltwater canal fishing is more/less seasonal. Winter is best when more fish look for warmer water. In most canals you will be able to catch mangrove snapper, juvenile snook & redfish, sheepshead, ladyfish, catfish, etc... once the water starts to warm (april-nov) you will primarily catch catfish in the canals
While in PC in March will try the canals as well as piers hoping to catch something for supper.Mangrove is one of our favorites and also like redfish.For mangrove I normally use small minnows when fishing the panhandle area and would think that would still be a good bait if some could be netted,ladyfish chunks have worked well for me for redfish.Are there areas where bait can be netted this time of the year?Don't like using shrimp as the baitfish eat more of it than the targeted species.Plan on trying for pompano and whiting from piers if any are around.Any tips would be appreciated.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjake39 View Post
While in PC in March will try the canals as well as piers hoping to catch something for supper.Mangrove is one of our favorites and also like redfish.For mangrove I normally use small minnows when fishing the panhandle area and would think that would still be a good bait if some could be netted,ladyfish chunks have worked well for me for redfish.Are there areas where bait can be netted this time of the year?Don't like using shrimp as the baitfish eat more of it than the targeted species.Plan on trying for pompano and whiting from piers if any are around.Any tips would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the fishing piers in Charlotte County - Where to Catch Fish in Charlotte County Florida ~ Fishing Piers

You can also try the Venice Jettys
Venice Florida Fishing

Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jverreaux View Post
.....My assumption is that the canals closer to the harbor or rivers provide the best fishing and variety of fish. If my assumption is correct, how far inland can one go before canal fishing isn’t very good? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Any PC/PG saltwater gulf canal will have plenty of fish. None of the canals go that far inland to keep the fish away, the only thing that stops them are the dams upstream. I've seen more "resident" snook farther inland than close to the harbor. You probably won't have as many transient fish though, unless you chum them in. Being close to the harbor is more important for boating ease than fishing, and that is pretty important IMO.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
We're 2 miles from the harbor proper. Have caught a Red, couple trout and lots of cats if bottom fishing. A buddy lives off of spring lake and always catches Reds, Black Drums, Snook, and once in a while a rogue tarpon. I think the closer to the harbor the better. Not too much on the Pellam canal. Although MA does well sometimes. Blue claw crabs are a different story. Sometimes they run great. Sometimes it takes a week to get a dozen or so. Spring lake has lots more of barnicles than we do so the salt content I'm sure is more there. Regardless, we're still on the water!!!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
Thanks for the honorable mention. Almost everything that's in the harbor, comes into the canals. I'm pretty far back, 2.6 miles from open throttle and I have photos of a 5' tarpon behind my house. I've got much better landing snook back there and have also got mangrove snapper, reds, jacks, ladyfish, too many cats and even 2 large mouth bass who were asking for directions back to the spillway. I've also had countless hours of being skunked out there. It's all part of messing about! A visitor from Buffalo caught and released 7 rat reds from my dock in 2009. That's a record at my house.

Speaking of records, my buddy and I caught 15 different species in the harbor in one last winter. Over 100 fish released at the boat. Personal best for sure.

Frogman, I saw your boat on the lift last weekend. Had her out yet?

Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Frogman, I saw your boat on the lift last weekend. Had her out yet?
Howdy, first day out threw a rod bolt through the front of the block. Still made it home though would only turn up 4200 rpms. A little JB Weld and kept it under 1800 r's, made it back to the ramp. Picked up an old 115 crossflow and swapped powerheads. Ran decent last w/e. Planning on this w/e somewhat close to home. Only have $1500 in the whole shooting match. At least I can get to the bridge and do some fish'n. Not that good on gas but we had a good chop last w/e and only ran <20.
Cheers!

Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
first day out threw a rod bolt through the front of the block.
I had that happen t0 me before parts came rite between the 2 front seats old merc stil made it back to the house and would start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte