U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM

15 posts, read 29,542 times

Advertisements

Lots of you have built homes in Port Charlotte and we are looking for your valuable advice. We are in the process of finalizing our plans to build. We will be retiring to Port Charlotte and hope to be renting down there during the build. Our home will be in Gulf Cove (North) on the water. Our home plan is custom, because our lot is irregular. Do any of you who have been through this process have any tips for us before we commit? Things you wish you had done, or not done, with your new home? Items you now wish you had included, or items you could have lived without? We'd love your input! Thank you so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,091,897 times
We didnt build, we bought an existing home. But if I were building I would go for a nice gourmet kitchen if you like to cook and entertain. I'm sure many others will have a lot of advice for you.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,507,554 times
start with a wish list so you have your priorities right

think about the hard infratsructure like power pints, lighting, water in water out...all things that are hard to change easily and cheaply afterwards....

I build custom homes in the Uk (may start here soon) and sit down with my clients and talk thru their lifestyle , what they want , what they think they want etc...the last client thought he wanted a seperate pool house at the end of his garden.he ended up having it indoors in a basement !!! all because he suddenly realised walking 75 yards in freezin cold rain just to swim wasnt such a good idea

Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,592,720 times
Look at the difference in price between impact resistant windows and doors versus regular windows with using hurricane shutters. Decide on what type of grass. Bahia goes dormant in the winter and you don't have to water it. St Augustine or similar must be watered and fertilized in order to survive. So you would need a sprinkler system. Add extra inside and outside outlets. It is less expensive to put in your own reverse osmosis under the kitchen sink yourself unless you are getting a whole house system. Less expensive to get a pool put in now rather than later. We have a tankless hot water system that runs on propane rather than a hot water tank in the garage. Hot water tanks don't last very long down here. Get the home wired for surround sound, Internet, etc. Extra outside spigots. Decide on pest control method. Sometimes they put tubes in the walls or have the block and foundation sprayed. Lots of new kitchen cupboard space saver inserts and ideas available. Get what you want while it is being built.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM

27 posts, read 51,501 times
One thing I have noticed about a lot of the homes I have seen is to have a garage that is is long enough to fit a standard size pickup truck. My house (bought already built) and the next two neighbors that just built have what I guess is a standard size garage and my pickup will not fit in any of them. Nice for storage also since no basements are to be found.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:12 PM

Speaking I'd storage, if you can have as much storage space built in as you can! Never enough storage space!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM

Interesting that you mention the garage! A big reason we opted out of buying, and into building, was because of the garage sizes! We have a pick-up truck too, along with tools, etc., that will require a larger garage. We are going with a 3 car for that very reason.

Here in Pittsburgh we have a whole house water softener. We were thinking of doing the same down there?

We are also planning St Augustine/Floratam Sod with irrigation.

Great input! Please keep it coming!

Last edited by Gulf Cove North; 03-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Editing

Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 PM

We have a whole house water softener too like we did up north and love it!! Of course we have a well so we have a lot of extra equipment but if we didnt have a water softener we for sure would have put one in.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:59 PM

70 posts, read 91,099 times
Not sure if you have had your plans done by an architect or if you have selected a builder. but make sure you go over the plans with the builder very carefully. To make sure the measurements are really what you want. Also see of the architect can make the plans 3-D on the computer so you can see it from every angle. To make sure everything is what and where you want it.
Where is Golf Cove North

Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM

Hi -

By Gulf Cove "North" I am just clarifying that it is the Gulf Cove community that is north of McCall Road.

We are very close, if not complete, on our choice of builder. Our home plan is totally custom because of our irregular lot, so it is not a builder's design. We are working with a drafting firm and will move forward once we have the plan finalized. We are close on that as well. It has been a lengthy process. We are trying to cover every angle we can think of.

The 3d idea is great. Were you able to do that with your builder?

Did you run into problems with dimensions?

You are staying local while they build as I recall? We are hoping to do the same, possibly rent a furnished place during the build...

Thanks!

Last edited by Gulf Cove North; 03-24-2013 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte