Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 14,680 times

Advertisements

Retired couple 59 and 66 thinking of relocating to “Charlotte Harbor Area”. We have both lived in Florida for 40 years plus and know about luv bugs, no see ums, hurricanes ,climate. Currently have houses in Central Florida, Tampa Suburbs and Nature Coast( on water). Budget for new digs is $350,000-$400,000 . Must haves for our new house pool, large yard that can be fenced ( we currently have a Yellow lab puppy who will be a big girl and an active Australian Shepard). May be interested in canal front with gulf access but know that large yards and canal front do not usually go together. We are water people and will eventually have a boat for exploring, fishing……While gated communities are great, it seems that many of those neighborhoods in the area would not allow us to have a fenced yard for our dogs.

Would be interested in finding a gym to work out at and also if anyone knows of a shooting range /club; one of us is a competitive target shooter.

Looking forward to relocating to the area, making new friends and spending some time at the Celtic Ray listening to some of our favorite Irish singers.

Will provide Yuengling to deserving fellows.( wanted to see who would read this to the end….)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:10 PM

5,131 posts, read 4,895,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&Kmovingon View Post
Will provide Yuengling to deserving fellows.( wanted to see who would read this to the end….)

I consider myself a newbe to the area so I wish I could help. I too enjoy shooting, but not competitively (retired LEO). I've heard of the Babcock-Webb range down in Punta Gorda, but have yet to check it out. When I do, I'll let you know. Good luck in your property search!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM

thanks for the reply. Hope to find the shooting range.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,514,014 times
There are some areas in Charlotte Harbor that have double lots that are not deed restricted where you could put up a fence for your dog and be on a canal. You may want to look near the Edgewater/Ohara area of town which is south of US 41 (Tamiami Trail). South Gulf Cove would be another area that would have the same type of property. There are some very nice homes in your price range on larger lots.

Charlotte County has the Cecil M Webb Shooting Range - Shooting Ranges

There are quite a few gyms around to join - Achieve Fitness, Snap Fitness. There is also the YMCA - Charlotte County Family YMCA

Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Thanks TamRe for the response. It does look like there are some houses around Edgewater/Ohara that could fit the bill. I would have preferred PG, nice little town atmosphere, but PC is not that far. How might I find out if a house has restrictions on fencing?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM

When searching for a home you want to put in the parameters of HOA: None. That means there are no deed restrictions. If you are looking at listings in the MLS, the MLS sheet will say if there is a HOA or if there are no deed restrictions. No deed restrictions means you can put up a fence. You would just have to get a permit from Charlotte County to install a fence whether you do it yourself or have someone install it. There are set back requirements for installing a fence, so if you buy a home and plan to put up a fence you will want to make sure you get a survey. The survey will be required for the permit.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:13 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,469,593 times
You can have fences in PGI. You can only fence the backyard and the fence has to be no higher than 4 ft. You also can't use privacy fence. Basically you need to be able to see throught it. Standard lot side is 80ft wide. Some properties are a lot and half or 120ft wide. And point properties can be around 200ft wide. My neighbor and I both have a lot and half . He has two german shephards and I have a boxer. Acroos the canal they have two labs. There is also a very nice dog park near fishermans village.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM

Here is some information from the Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association Web page - Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association

PGI Unique Land Regulations
Introduction:
Punta Gorda Isles was established as a "Deed Restricted Community" when it was opened for sales. Under Florida law deed restrictions expire 30 years after initial sale unless renewed by the controlling body, currently the Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association. In 1995 the decision was made NOT to renew the deed restrictions but to work with the City in incorporate unique community standards in the City Code. As a result of this decision Punta Gorda Isles is located in a "Special Overlay District" that contains special land use regulations to preserve the original values of the Isles in addition to the general city code. This is a much stronger standard since these codes are enforced by the City and include provisions for the former deed restrictions which have expired in many portions of the Isles. Your Association continues to actively work with City Staff and Leadership to maintain our quality of life and to ensure standard are maintained.
  • For information on the general City Code of Ordinances* - http://www.ci.punta-gorda.fl.us/gov/codesords.html
  • For information on the Special Overlay District Code - once you are on the city site select Chapter 26 and after the document opens do a search for Section 3.13 for the SRO - Special Overlay District.
*Because there are some codes that are applicable to all residents of Punta Gorda and do not necessarily appear in the SRO section, it is recommended that a topic search be conducted of all Punta Gorda City Code Ordinances.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM

City of Punta Gorda Ordinances on Fences:

Fences, Walls and Hedges.

No solid boundary wall shall be permitted.

Hedges shall be permitted to heights as provided in Chapter 26, Article 8, Section 8.5 of this Code.

Fences shall be allowed to a height of four feet in side and rear yards of any developed property but shall not be allowed in any front yard. Front yards extend from the architectural front of a building, on each front corner, to the fronting street or R-O-W. Fence material in side and rear yards shall be either vinyl coated chain link (uncoated chain link or slats installed in chain link fencing is not permitted), aluminum, vinyl or wrought iron picket, including those with a scalloped top, provided no point exceeds four (4) feet in height, decorative post with rope or plastic chain, post and rail, or decorative bamboo material. Agricultural grade welded wire fence, solid panel fence, lattice, wood and shadowbox fence materials are specifically prohibited. Fences shall be installed with the posts or structural supports inside and the finished surface facing the adjacent properties and public rights-of-way.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM

Yeah! Thank you. PG may work after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte