Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:23 AM

13 posts, read 25,643 times

Advertisements

I live near the Estates and love it, getting there off Biscayne on the left are older homes that alot of trouble seems to be living there. Other than that it gets better further down, we only have 3 houses on our street and none behind us. I like the privacy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyG12 View Post
We're probably a year and a half behind you! I'm in Alexandria.
I did a lot of work in Alexandria. I used to live in West Springfield, Va. back in the early to mid 1980's.
(I miss those days) I was also stationed at Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C. back in the 1970's. Anyway, my wife and I have been looking into moving to either North Port, Venice, Engelwood, or Punta Gorda. I just sold my fathers house in Venice (Wish I bough out my siblings) a few months ago, so I really only know the Venice area. I have heard some bad things about North Port, but I've learned a long time ago not to believe everything you hear and only half of what you see, so when the wife and I go down there in a couple of weeks, I go down with an open mind. I hope it's as nice as you guys say it is. We're looking forward to it.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 AM

180 posts, read 262,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercarpetman View Post
I did a lot of work in Alexandria. I used to live in West Springfield, Va. back in the early to mid 1980's.
(I miss those days) I was also stationed at Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C. back in the 1970's. Anyway, my wife and I have been looking into moving to either North Port, Venice, Engelwood, or Punta Gorda. I just sold my fathers house in Venice (Wish I bough out my siblings) a few months ago, so I really only know the Venice area. I have heard some bad things about North Port, but I've learned a long time ago not to believe everything you hear and only half of what you see, so when the wife and I go down there in a couple of weeks, I go down with an open mind. I hope it's as nice as you guys say it is. We're looking forward to it.
The wife and I chose North Port. During the winter months traffic is at a crawl just about everywhere else. North Port has a good mix of both retirees and young families, much less traffic and great parks.

Yes, it's a little slower and laid back but if you want shopping, great restaurants, night life, beaches and things to do you're only minutes away from it all.

Lower housing costs, low crime, less traffic, quieter neighborhoods and more room to breathe sealed the deal for us. Not to mention it's in a higher flood elevation so your insurance costs will probably be less than half than what they pay in costal towns which are only 20 minutes away.

I'm not saying that it's perfect do but take some time and drive around that town. Talk to a few people. Our REA told us that to get a good feel for an area go to the local grocery stores. Look around at the condition of the store and the people shopping in it.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoose View Post
The wife and I chose North Port. During the winter months traffic is at a crawl just about everywhere else. North Port has a good mix of both retirees and young families, much less traffic and great parks.

Yes, it's a little slower and laid back but if you want shopping, great restaurants, night life, beaches and things to do you're only minutes away from it all.

Lower housing costs, low crime, less traffic, quieter neighborhoods and more room to breathe sealed the deal for us. Not to mention it's in a higher flood elevation so your insurance costs will probably be less than half than what they pay in costal towns which are only 20 minutes away.

I'm not saying that it's perfect do but take some time and drive around that town. Talk to a few people. Our REA told us that to get a good feel for an area go to the local grocery stores. Look around at the condition of the store and the people shopping in it.

That's good advice DaGoose. In fact, my wife just read your post too and said she agrees 100%. I am looking forward to checking out North Port when we get down there. I wish I was there now instead of here where the temp is ZERO. Not to mention I am staring out the window at the 12" of snow we had here 2 days ago that sits on top of the 6" we had a few days before that. I can't stand this place in the winter, but it is beautiful the other 7 months. (yes...winter lasts 5 months here)

Old 02-07-2014, 03:06 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
Traffic is packed this winter. Biscayne is the place most realtors will tell you to keep away from, if anything bad happens its most likely on Biscayne. Homes are older and there is a element that is more prone to crime there. Its more Ukraine also. Not sure if there is any correlation. The farther south you go to salford the better you are.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Hm I'm glad to see this thread. As soon as my house here in CT sells, we're on our way to NP. But first, before we buy our permanent home, we need a temporary home to solve two problems while we look for a permanent home:

A. We have 3 cats, so rentals are hard to find, especially for less than a year; B. My husband needs a garage in which to get his tool-sharpening business going ASAP, as he will have no other employment, and that's also a problem with a rental.

We want to be able to live there for a few months, then rent it out later. At first we looked at Fort Myers, but I think the cheap homes are all in terrible neighborhoods. So I though I'd try NP for that kind of thing, too, just because it's less urban than FM.

Here are a couple of places I've bookmarked -- can you tell me if these are rough areas to steer clear of?

4527 Los Rios Street, North Port FL - Trulia

8769 San Pablo Avenue, North Port FL - Trulia

Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Hm I'm glad to see this thread. As soon as my house here in CT sells, we're on our way to NP. But first, before we buy our permanent home, we need a temporary home to solve two problems while we look for a permanent home:

A. We have 3 cats, so rentals are hard to find, especially for less than a year; B. My husband needs a garage in which to get his tool-sharpening business going ASAP, as he will have no other employment, and that's also a problem with a rental.

We want to be able to live there for a few months, then rent it out later. At first we looked at Fort Myers, but I think the cheap homes are all in terrible neighborhoods. So I though I'd try NP for that kind of thing, too, just because it's less urban than FM.

Here are a couple of places I've bookmarked -- can you tell me if these are rough areas to steer clear of?

4527 Los Rios Street, North Port FL - Trulia

8769 San Pablo Avenue, North Port FL - Trulia
4527 Los Rios is in the older section of North Port off of Biscayne. It is a Fannie Mae Bank Foreclosure. Older home. No central A/C only window units. No garage. Permits on file 2001 Roof, 2010 Door replacement. Sold As Is.

8769 San Pablo is also in the older section of North Port off of Biscayne. It is a Fannie Mae Bank Foreclosure. The price has been reduced twice from $64,900 to $54,200 and now is at $49,600. Sold As Is. Permit on file, garage door replaced 2009. 1 car garage. Has central air.

Use the satellite and street view maps on Google maps to get an idea of the area. You can use the arrow keys to view up and down the streets. Many of the homes in this neighborhood went into foreclosure such as these and have not been kept up. Rental rates are also one of the lowest in this neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Thank you, TamRE. Los Rios is right out then (don't know how I got that on my search). Do these older sections of town have, um, a particular character? Low rental rates might indicate a problem. Also, is it hard to rent out properties like that, or is there a ready market?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
There are plenty of people looking to rent right now, in all price ranges. Both neighborhoods have many homes owned by investors and used as rentals.

You might want to check out this website:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
or this one: FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators and do a search of both neighborhoods (or any neighborhood you are considering).

I would probably scratch Los Rios off the list due to the fact that it does not have central air (unless you plan on replacing it). Most likely your insurance will be higher. I have a rental in the area that has only window boxes and I can only get Citizens (state insurance) and the rates are much higher than if I were to have central A/C.

On occasion, there are homes in the "newer" section of town that come up in these price ranges.

Last edited by Yac; 02-19-2014 at 06:20 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
There are plenty of people looking to rent right now, in all price ranges. Both neighborhoods have many homes owned by investors and used as rentals.

You might want to check out this website: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
or this one: FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators and do a search of both neighborhoods (or any neighborhood you are considering).

I would probably scratch Los Rios off the list due to the fact that it does not have central air (unless you plan on replacing it). Most likely your insurance will be higher. I have a rental in the area that has only window boxes and I can only get Citizens (state insurance) and the rates are much higher than if I were to have central A/C.

On occasion, there are homes in the "newer" section of town that come up in these price ranges.
Thanks so much! I'm seeing a few now on the east side of town that entice me. Of course, the foot and a half of snow we have here in CT, with more every day or so, has completely killed house hunting for people here so I'm sure I'm stuck here for a few more months.

But this info will come in handy eventually. Yep. (trying to remain positive …)

Last edited by Yac; 02-19-2014 at 06:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte