Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,847 times

Advertisements

Hello! I currently live in New York but plan on moving to North Port in January after I graduate from college. I am going to college for elementary education. It is almost impossible to find a teaching job in New York but I have heard it is easier to get a teaching job in Florida. We also want to move because of the weather we are extremely sick of the snow! I just wanted to see what people had to say about getting a teaching job in the North Port area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
I moved here from NY as a teacher and got a teaching job but it got eliminated. I couldn't find any other business teaching jobs so I am now a Realtor. Many of the teachers down here have lost their job or have been bumped or moved to different schools. You have to have your teaching license transferred. You can go to the Florida Department of Education web site at: Educator Certification. You can't even apply for jobs down here unless you have a copy of your temporary certificate. You can have apply online and then get the background check and fingerprints on file. Plus you have to get recommendations. Once you have everything on file, then you can apply for jobs.

Here are links to the local schools. Go to the Human Resources Dept for job postings. It also gives you the directions for applying.
Charlotte County Schoools - Charlotte County Public Schools Home Page
Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home

Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
I know some people make excellent teachers and just love kids to pieces, but I gotta ask, WHY would anyone, in this age of endless cuts to education, waste the money for college to be a teacher?? The pay is horrible, and the student loan burden will last for a decade or more. It just doesn't seem like there's any financial reward for all the hard work, not to mention the constant stress not knowing when your job will be eliminated next. $100k+ for the degree to make $30k/yr just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, enough of that. There have been numerous posts on City-Data about people looking for info on teaching jobs. Use the search function and type in "teacher" or "teaching" and see what you get for FL.

Sorry if this is discouraging, but it's reality. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cararobinson246 View Post
Hello! I currently live in New York but plan on moving to North Port in January after I graduate from college. I am going to college for elementary education. It is almost impossible to find a teaching job in New York but I have heard it is easier to get a teaching job in Florida. We also want to move because of the weather we are extremely sick of the snow! I just wanted to see what people had to say about getting a teaching job in the North Port area.
Where are you from Cara?
I have a bunch of Old family / Robinson friends from the WNY area.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM

I live in Western New York

Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cararobinson246 View Post
I live in Western New York
Do you have family in the Wayland, or Swain area? I know Robinsons from both of those areas.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM

No I do not have any family in that area. We live in the Buffalo area

Old 04-12-2013, 02:59 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
I am from Syracuse, NY. We know lots of people from Buffalo though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte