Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 AM

133 posts, read 172,202 times

Advertisements

I need some direction with this....I went to myfwc.com and found it to be confusing. As I see it, no matter when you pick up a fishing pole unless you are military, disabled or on public aid, you need a license. I want to fish in my back yard canal from my dock. I only catch and release since I don't like fish, do I still need a license? There has to be a way to simplify the regulations or maybe its just because I'm blonde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Call Fishin Franks, they can tell you. Fishin' Frank's

Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 AM

I go there for my bait, will ask next time I'm there. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Technically, you would need a shoreline fishing license:

From the FWC site: Residents who only saltwater fish from the land or a structure attached to land, may get the resident recreational saltwater shoreline fishing license at no cost (except for convenience fees that apply on telephone and Internet orders). NOTE: This license does NOT cover anyone fishing from a boat or from an island that they arrived at by boat.
If you have a resident recreational saltwater fishing license or a resident persons with disabilities fishing license, you do not need a shoreline fishing license because the resident recreational saltwater fishing and disability license cover fishing from the shore, a dock, a jetty or a boat.

On the other hand, fishing from your own dock, are you really worried about getting fined?? I've never once in my 34 years heard of it anywhere. I fish on my dock and about once a month an FWC patrol boat goes by. They just wave. Never even approach me. I'm not suggesting you break the law, but on your own property, I personally wouldn't give it a second thought. Grab your rods and catch some fish!!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the info, Harbor, just didn't want to get fined. My son and I were fishing on a lake in Wi where we had rented a cabin in a remote area. The ranger confiscated all our tackle and i got fined $100 and that was about 12 years ago. He was actually watching us with binoculars. Don't mess with Wisconsin!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
You should go ahead and get the free license. One reason they make you get the free license is when you get it, you also sign your understanding of the regulations. It's good to know the rules, but eventually you will either fish a pier, or the beach or somewhere other than your own dock. It's not worth the risk. I also make my out of state visitors get a one day $17 license online to keep them legal on my boat. Set the example for the next generation...fish legal and have fun.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doxies View Post
Thanks for the info, Harbor, just didn't want to get fined. My son and I were fishing on a lake in Wi where we had rented a cabin in a remote area. The ranger confiscated all our tackle and i got fined $100 and that was about 12 years ago. He was actually watching us with binoculars. Don't mess with Wisconsin!
Dam straight!!! Don't mess with Bucky!!

Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
In case anyone is interested in trying fishing, or bringing someone else out for their first time, this Saturday is "free fishing day", no license is needed.

As to the OP, if you are a resident the license is only $17 for the whole year...that includes land and boat in saltwater. Just the land license is free. Freshwater has a whole different license, so if you're canal is on FW it is NOT the same. From your own dock on private property....fuggetaboutit.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 AM

This message board is a wealth of information....thanks to everyone for helping me solve my almost daily dilemmas, lol. We are on a saltwater canal so will get the free yearly license. Are there actually people down here who don't fish?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
.......As to the OP, if you are a resident the license is only $17 for the whole year...that includes land and boat in saltwater. Just the land license is free....
Just to add to the above info, you also must be a resident for 6 months before you can get a resident fishing license. I thought it ironic that you can register to vote immediately but had to wait for 6 months to fish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte