Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:02 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,009,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Same with mine lately. In the winter they last a couple of weeks, I guess the warm water stresses them.
Water temp was well over 90 degrees in the shallows today out in the harbor, so I'd assume the are being cooked alive in the canals. That would stress me too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:43 AM

5,816 posts, read 12,586,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Water temp was well over 90 degrees in the shallows today out in the harbor, so I'd assume the are being cooked alive in the canals. That would stress me too
Next time bring the cocktail sauce when you check the bucket. This way you can have a snack by the water without bringing them into the house.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,760,100 times
Forecast models show something may appear in the far western Gulf of Mexico next week. The model runs keep it on that coast. I say, good place for it. Our local winds are calming for the first time in June. Get out and enjoy the beautiful outdoors.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:54 AM

So much rain in such a short period of time yesterday...we experienced some flooding in one of our lanais. Luckily an electric pump got it out of there quickly and the dehumidifier dried the room completely in a few hours but I'm going to have to engineer a long term solution. There's a low spot there where the grass drops off to an entry slab. We went out to dinner and there was standing water everywhere in town. When we returned, the water was halfway up our driveway, from the street. Anyone else experience any issued from that downpour?
I wonder what the rainfall totals were?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,771,051 times
I went to home depot about 4ish. Not a drop at my house. When i got up my port charlotte and 41 it had poured warer everywhere. When i got to HD lite rain. Still dry at my ace on return. The rain here is odd

Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM

I've begun a DIY project to solve my drainage problem.
4" drain cap attached to 4" perforated pipe encased in a filtering sleeve.
50' long trench, dropping elevation a quarter inch every 10 feet of run.
Should do the trick.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,009,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I've begun a DIY project to solve my drainage problem.
4" drain cap attached to 4" perforated pipe encased in a filtering sleeve.
50' long trench, dropping elevation a quarter inch every 10 feet of run.
Should do the trick.
Friends of mine who are neighbors of yours also had their lanai flooded that afternoon. Not so much because of drainage, but because their pool overflowed....very quickly.

I was out on the boat during that storm. We went to Titi's tiki bar for lunch and saw the storm clouds to the north while crossing the VERY rough harbor. After being there for a while the rain came through and we had to take cover under the tiki roof. After the rain stopped the harbor calmed down to glass and we went home to find it never even rained at our house, south of Edgewater. Crazy weather here.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Tropical Storm Barry is on the Gulf coast of Mexico. No threat to SWFL.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:18 AM

The computer forecast models are pointing to something developing over the next days, near the Yuccatan Peninsula, then heading to the North Gulf coast. Still no threats on our horizon. The next storm name is Chantal.

My drainage problem is solved and tested out great with this week's rains. A photo is below, not sure why it only allows me to load but one picture from iPad. Each time I select an additional pic, it replaces the previous.

Nonetheless, If anyone needs advice on how to do engineer a DIY yard drainage solution feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Hurricane Season thread-image.jpg  

Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 AM

229 posts, read 345,086 times
Huh...you have actual dirt in your yard. I am pretty much on sand, no drainage worries except when the drain channel between the pool and lanai gets clogged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte